0 (0%)
Naismith
22 (56.4%)
Osman (Sub)
1 (2.6%)
McGeady (sub)
4 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Southampton v Everton  (Read 29655 times)

April 22, 2014, 01:32:11 AM
Read 29655 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton FC v Southampton
St Mary's Stadium
Saturday 26th February 12:45
Premier League Match 36

Southampton's last 5 domestic results:

Tottenham 3-2 Southampton (Rodriguez, Lallana)
Southampton 4-0 Newcastle (Rodriguez x2, Lambert, Lallana)
Manchester City 4-1 Southampton (Lambert Pen)
Southampton 0-1 Cardiff
Aston Villa 0-0 Southampton

Everton's last 5 domestic results:

Fulham 1-3 Everton (O.G, Mirallas, Naismith)
Everton 3-0 Arsenal (Naismith, Lukaku, O.G)
Sunderland 0-1 Everton (O.G)
Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace (Naismith, Mirallas)
Everton 2-0 Manchester United (Baines Pen, Mirallas)

Southampton

Southampton will be looking for an uplifting result here after a stalemate 0-0 draw away to Aston Villa at the weekend having lost the previous 2 matches before that. Southampton's last win came against Newcastle at home, the match immediately before top scorer Jay Rodriguez picked up a season ending injury. Southampton have taken a fairly average 11 points from a possible 24 in matches at home in 2014. These include 3 wins against West Brom, Norwich and Newcastle, draws to Stoke and Arsenal along with defeats to Chelsea, Liverpool and Cardiff without scoring a goal.

Only West Ham have dropped more points from leading positions in the Premier League this season than Southampton. Southampton took a first minute lead at Stamford bridge but lost 3-1 to Chelsea, Tottenham turned it around twice to win 3-2 in both fixtures and West Ham won 3-1 at home despite the saints taking the lead. The other 3 matches which saw Southampton drop points all ended in 2-2 draws. Southampton were pegged back twice at home to Stoke, took a 1-0 lead against Arsenal before grabbing an equaliser for the draw and let slip a 2-0 lead away to Sunderland.

Possible Line Ups

Everton

Everton reacted to the midweek disappointment against Crystal Palace with a comfortable 2-0 win against struggling Manchester United to make it 8 wins from their last 9 matches. Belgian winger Kevin Mirallas has contributed 3 goals and 4 assists in his last 8 matches in the Premier League, he was unfortunate not to make that 4 goals but Arteta was adjudged to have put through his own net in the 3-0 win over Arsenal. Everton are looking to make it 4 away victories in a row after putting Newcastle, Fulham and Sunderland to the sword. Everton have scored in each of their last 9 matches, only Liverpool (25!) have scored in more consecutive matches currently.

Roberto Martinez will have to win all of Everton's 3 remaining fixtures to make it Everton's most successful post New Year's Eve points tally in the Premier League. If Everton beat Southampton then it'll draw Everton level with the points tally achieved in this period from 2011-12 having played 4 matches fewer. Only Liverpool (14) and Chelsea (11) have won more matches than Everton (10) in 2014.

Stats & Injuries

Southampton: Southampton are without long term injury Jay Rodriguez and will be without centre backMaya Yoshida whilst Gaston Ramirez andKelvin Davies are unlikely to feature.

Everton: Long Term injuries Arouna Kone, Darron Gibson and Bryan Oviedo along with loanee Lacina Traore will all miss out this game though Phil Jagielka and Steven Pienaar could return. Sylvain Distin has a hamstring concern.

I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

April 22, 2014, 03:55:12 AM
Reply #1

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Nervous...
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

April 22, 2014, 04:02:09 AM
Reply #2

Bluedylan

What's happened to Wanyama?
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

April 22, 2014, 04:06:23 AM
Reply #3

Shogun

Administrator
What's happened to Wanyama?
Read on a Southampton forum that they'd expect Cork to play. Wanyama has been in and out all season.

April 22, 2014, 04:07:09 AM
Reply #4

Bluedylan

Read on a Southampton forum that they'd expect Cork to play. Wanyama has been in and out all season.

Wow, you actually do reseach and stuff. Fair play, Shogs ;)
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

April 22, 2014, 04:10:09 AM
Reply #5

hill135

Wanyama has been injured for a massive part of the season.

And he can't pass the ball.

April 22, 2014, 05:04:40 AM
Reply #6

Thornton_19

We score early in this one Southampton will probably just accept a loss, they seem to have been on their holidays since early March.

April 22, 2014, 06:45:15 AM
Reply #7

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
did they really lose 1-0 at home to Cardiff?!dont remember that at all!
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

April 22, 2014, 06:56:58 AM
Reply #8

Shogun

Administrator
did they really lose 1-0 at home to Cardiff?!dont remember that at all!

Yeah, Juan Cala scored I think and Marshall had another stormer.

We done well at keeping the attacking trio of Southampton quiet in the home fixture, they've lost their top scorer now so hopefully we've got a good chance here.

April 22, 2014, 09:30:20 AM
Reply #9

cantoffee

Won't be easy but they haven't been great lately and seem to have mailed it in for the season.

Only players who might try and impress will be those looking at getting to the WC like Lambert, Lallana, and Shaw.

Would be nice to have Distin back to help deal with Lambert's strength and aerial ability.

April 22, 2014, 10:23:10 AM
Reply #10

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Shaw vs Coleman will be a great match up
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

April 22, 2014, 03:58:08 PM
Reply #11

dax78

With us playing first we could strike a real psychological blow by winning this and going two points clear of Arsenal. It would put huge pressure on them to get the win against Newcastle and they may just buckle. However the opposite is true if we fail to win our game.
Hans segers is a legend ;)

April 22, 2014, 06:08:06 PM
Reply #12

TSGun

For some reason I feel much more confident about this game then I was before the Sunderland, Palace games.

Of course it's far from an easy game but our strength in counter attacking may well be suited here.

April 22, 2014, 06:10:33 PM
Reply #13

The Analog Kid

They really miss Rodriguez. They've taken a nosedive since he got injured.

April 22, 2014, 06:11:09 PM
Reply #14

Danny

For some reason I feel much more confident about this game then I was before the Sunderland, Palace games.

Of course it's far from an easy game but our strength in counter attacking may well be suited here.

Southampton will try and outplay us that's one reason to feel confident. The other two were always going to defend for their lives.