November 23, 2017, 12:43:36 AM

Author Topic: "Dithering Davie"  (Read 2349 times)

May 19, 2010, 02:08:03 PM
Read 2349 times

Trowel

“I’ve heard the ‘dithering Davie’ cracks and I’ve thought, ‘Aye, OK’,” he said. “I said when I came into management that every player I sign, I want to see. I’ll watch videos but, unless I’ve seen them live, I won’t take them – and I haven’t changed. It’s what I do.

"I put my hours in and, if that means taking a bit more time, I’m going to do it. If I miss a player, so be it. A couple of weeks ago, I must have been abroad three times in a week and, by the end of it, I was on my knees physically.

"But when Everton make a signing I think we get scrutinised more because we don’t have much cash. Every penny I spend here becomes very precious. For Joleon Lescott, we had 21 written reports and I went to see him live eight times. I needed to do that.”

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/176009/Everton-manager-David-Moyes-I-will-go-the-extra-miles/?
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

deCoubertin

May 19, 2010, 02:15:06 PM
Reply #1

Big Nev

NSNO Subscriber
Very good article.

Maybe we need to have a bit more faith in DM than some on here have.

(waits to be shot down)
Rotterdam \'85
I was there!!!

May 19, 2010, 02:18:01 PM
Reply #2

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Sensible stuff, wtf happened with Koldrup then? 

May 19, 2010, 02:23:46 PM
Reply #3

dekko

Very good article.

(waits to be shot down)

I agree, but I am sure people here will find something negative there and slag even more Moyes.

May 19, 2010, 02:33:04 PM
Reply #4

fast lane

Good informative article.
Per Kroldrup's failure is still a mystery to me, would like to know what his (PK) version is.
Not sure about Phil Neville becoming a good manager though.
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

May 19, 2010, 02:36:34 PM
Reply #5

everton-4-ever

decent read mr moyes
do to the man as the man would to you but do it first!!

May 19, 2010, 03:30:35 PM
Reply #6

dangermouse

Im sure he just shagged someones Mrs..........  I think in the handful of games he played (most friendly)   he didnt look like a really bad player.........Hes played a handful of games for Denmark and hes a good pro in the Italian Seria A  and still plays for Fiorentina..

Edit.... Im not sying he was a good signing by the way....... Id agree that he was poss the worst signing Ive ever seen come into this club....
£5m a long injury.... 1 poor performance and then a quick sale.......prob losing a fortune.....
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:34:55 PM by dangermouse »
Everton Programmes Books & DVD's

http://www.facebook.com/evertonprogrammes

May 19, 2010, 03:41:23 PM
Reply #7

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
Im sure he just shagged someones Mrs..........  I think in the handful of games he played (most friendly)   he didnt look like a really bad player.........Hes played a handful of games for Denmark and hes a good pro in the Italian Seria A  and still plays for Fiorentina..
Edit.... Im not sying he was a good signing by the way....... Id agree that he was poss the worst signing Ive ever seen come into this club....
£5m a long injury.... 1 poor performance and then a quick sale.......prob losing a fortune.....
a good defender but probably will only be on the bench for denmark in south africa   simon kjær (Palermo) and Agger (you know from where) likely to start in CD.....  mind you he scored in the CL QF against Bayern Münich  and against Inter in the 2-2 draw wich could have handed the championship to roma if they didn't fail themself.....   Krøldrup has never ever explained what went wrong to the danish media  so god (and perhaps Moyes ) only knows

May 19, 2010, 04:36:42 PM
Reply #8

.Rimbo.

Couldn't hack England.

May 19, 2010, 05:50:52 PM
Reply #9

toffee_scot

I think the Kroldrup story was just a case of misfortune, what is interesting is we bought him fairly early that summer so he wasn't a panic buy and he must have been a player Moyes was very keen to get. Moyes must have gone to a few Udinese games in Italy and judged him on how well he'd done playing the Italian way, one of Moyes's comments after we sold him was that he thought his style of play was more suited to Italy so therefore while Moyes may go on about the meticulous research that goes on regarding scouting potential new players, there is always a large gamble when it comes to foreign players playing in foreign leagues and some of them just fail to adapt to the Premier League or demonstrate that they can succeed in the Premier League.

May 19, 2010, 05:51:03 PM
Reply #10

claimabstract

(waits to be shot down)

I've always thought DM is an excellent judge of talent in regards to purchases.  It's never been a complaint of mine.

May 19, 2010, 06:07:53 PM
Reply #11

Flusky

Couldn't hack England.

Probably this. He's pretty solid for Fiorentina.

Besides (arguably) Kroldrup, Moyes has never signed a Berbatov, an Aquilani, a Shevchenko. We should be grateful that he doesn't rush in to signings based on media hype.

May 19, 2010, 06:41:27 PM
Reply #12

Major Clanger

Probably this. He's pretty solid for Fiorentina.

Besides (arguably) Kroldrup, Moyes has never signed a Berbatov, an Aquilani, a Shevchenko. We should be grateful that he doesn't rush in to signings based on media hype.

I think you're being a bit unfair with that list. I know what you mean but Shevchenko was bought by Abramovich and I'm pretty sure Ferguson did his homework on Berbatov at least as thoroughly as Moyes does, he just thought it was worth the risk. (When you've got money to burn, as they did have at the time, you can afford to take on more risk.)
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

May 19, 2010, 07:12:57 PM
Reply #13

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think you're being a bit unfair with that list. I know what you mean but Shevchenko was bought by Abramovich and I'm pretty sure Ferguson did his homework on Berbatov at least as thoroughly as Moyes does, he just thought it was worth the risk. (When you've got money to burn, as they did have at the time, you can afford to take on more risk.)

This.

The higher the fee, the bigger risk and also the more obvious loss.

If Utd sold Berbatov for £15m, they'd have lost £15m, or 50% of their fee.

Say we sold Kroldrup for £2.5m, we'd also have lost 50% but £2.5m compared to £15m doesn't look anywhere near as bad.

When you buy players for small fees there is little chance of getting it completely wrong as the fee doesn't warrant that much attention or risk.

The hard bit is to get it more than right. This is Moyes' best/most obvious attribute. Most of our players have risen to way beyond their original fee.

When you have big money it's hard to get it "more than" right as there is no real market for the price to be inflated to, with the exception of the top 5 players in the world.

The trick there is to simply be right, as if you're badly wrong the fall is a lot more spectacular.