November 18, 2017, 01:39:29 AM

Author Topic: 'Like a new signing'  (Read 2476 times)

July 17, 2014, 03:35:27 PM
Read 2476 times

stirlingblue

With the lack any proper transfers to focus on, and in the same vein as my topic about youngsters breaking through, what do we expect of those players who were injured for large parts of last year this season?

Gibson: With one start in the cup and one sub appearance last season it's clear that he had no impact on our season. Personally, I'm not sure he'll have much of an impact in this year either (in the league at least). With Barry and McCarthy our clear starting duo, and in all likelihood Besic coming in Gibson will be a fair way away from the first team. I think we'll see a lot of him in the cups, but persistant injuries could well have taken their toll.

Impact on next season: 3/10

Kone: A less than promising first season, with 1 start and 5 sub appearances. I have a clear memory of him missing some real sitters when he did play but to be fair he was just getting match fit. I think he still has a lot to offer and I think he'll make a good back up striker, just hopefully not our first choice.

Impact on next season: 6/10

Pienaar: Made 21 starts last season but was injured towards the end and will be a welcome return to the side. I don't think his game will be hampered by age as he has never been the quickest. I think he'll be a starter when fit as he has a great ability to offer an out option to the defence when we get pressed high up the pitch.

Impact on next season: 8/10

Oviedo: Under Moyes he flattered to deceive but last season he looked like a real class act. Due to Baines being almost invincible when it comes to injuries I can't see him being first choice but with europe I'm sure he/ll get game time at left back. I'm still not convinced when he plays in midfield but I think that's where we'll see him in the Premier League.

Impact on next season: 5/10

McGeady: Not injured last year but signed in January and never really looked fully fit. I'm really excited for him in the coming year, at 25 I've not seen an Everton player beat his man so consitently in my lifetime. Like nearly every winger, his decision making can be suspect but he very rarely loses the ball and he's got some real pace. If he can get fully fit and is up for it, I think he'll make a real run at being first choice. Also, in before Lizz appears to say he will be player of the year next year.

Impact on next season: 9/10

deCoubertin

July 17, 2014, 03:50:31 PM
Reply #1

The Analog Kid

Oviedo a 5?

He was steaming before his injury. Had it not been for that he'd have gone on to be even better towards the back end, even more so with Pienaar being injured, plus, with the way Costa Rica played in the World Cup he'd have no doubt shone then too.

July 17, 2014, 04:11:19 PM
Reply #2

stirlingblue

Oviedo a 5?

He was steaming before his injury. Had it not been for that he'd have gone on to be even better towards the back end, even more so with Pienaar being injured, plus, with the way Costa Rica played in the World Cup he'd have no doubt shone then too.

Shone playing where though? He was in great form from left back when Baines was injured but he's never looked comfortable playing in midfield.

I think he's a great player and if Baines were to leave for any reason we'd have a ready made replacement but Baines will always be first choice and he's so fit that I can't even see him being rotated that much.

I gave a 5 based on the impact he'll have, not how good I think he is.

July 17, 2014, 04:17:24 PM
Reply #3

The Good Citizen

I expect Kone to have a big say in how well we do next season, there's a good chance he will be coming off the bench behind whoever we sign as a frontline striker. With the game stretched its important to our chanes that he hits the ground running and weighs in with some decent performances to snatch points.
I cast a shorter shadow with every passing day

July 17, 2014, 05:26:42 PM
Reply #4

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Gibson: Agree with you that he wont have too much impact in the league but a solid player to come in during cup games/Europe when we need him. I do like Gibson but we just have better players now!

Impact on next season: 3/10

Kone: Really think Kone will do well for us, i think he will start as our back up striker (IF we get Lukaku) but with some goals in Europe and the cup plus brilliant sub performances he will be biting at Roms heels.
I also have a bet with BD he will score 15 goals in all competitions next season :D

Impact on next season: 7/10

Pienaar: Class, will be a starter if fully fit.

Impact on next season: 8/10

Oviedo: Fast becoming one of my favourite players, not just for his ability on the pitch but his all round personality. A wonderful man who i think we have all fallen in love with a little bit, especially seeing him sing Oviedo baby!! I feel that Martinez will try out Baines in the Lahm roll a little bit next year, maybe in Europe, so that left back position can be his to win. Im so excited at the prospect of keeping Baines in the team but also adding Oviedo in there.

Impact on next season: 7/10

McGeady: Player of the season ;)

Impact on next season: 9/10
I have to return some videotapes.

July 17, 2014, 06:16:17 PM
Reply #5

Ross

Personally I'm not expecting much from Kone this season. 

Regardless of people's initial opinion of him last summer the fact is he's recovering from a very serious injury. His career has been blighted with knee problems and this is the second time he's had a very long lay off with a cruciate ligament injury (does anyone know if it's the same knee as last time?), getting over this sort of injury takes a long time. We've seen this before with so many other players, their form is generally very poor for the first 6 months as they struggle and look a shadow of their former selves. Considering his age and the type of player he is, where he relies so much on power and pace, it's going to take an awful lot of time and patience to simply return to the player we bought last year.

Gibson will equally find it hard going but he's got age on his side and doesn't have the same history of knee problems luckily, but again it's going to be a good 6 months before he hits top form again. Hopefully we can add Besic and a couple of forwards so were not relying to heavily on them and they can be eased slowly and easily into the team.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 17, 2014, 06:17:45 PM
Reply #6

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I dont personally see Mcgeady being that big a player for us

Simply simply lovely

July 17, 2014, 06:30:41 PM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Personally I'm not expecting much from Kone this season. 

Regardless of people's initial opinion of him last summer the fact is he's recovering from a very serious injury. His career has been blighted with knee problems and this is the second time he's had a very long lay off with a cruciate ligament injury (does anyone know if it's the same knee as last time?), getting over this sort of injury takes a long time. We've seen this before with so many other players, their form is generally very poor for the first 6 months as they struggle and look a shadow of their former selves. Considering his age and the type of player he is, where he relies so much on power and pace, it's going to take an awful lot of time and patience to simply return to the player we bought last year.

Gibson will equally find it hard going but he's got age on his side and doesn't have the same history of knee problems luckily, but again it's going to be a good 6 months before he hits top form again. Hopefully we can add Besic and a couple of forwards so were not relying to heavily on them and they can be eased slowly and easily into the team.

This.

The advances in treating injuries have meant that players can come back from this type of injury, but it still takes a long time for players to get fully fit.

This is especially the case if they aren't an automatic pick and therefore playing lots of games to get the rustiness out of their system and get their body back up to speed. Back up players don't have those opportunies as such.

They obviously should have a few more games than normal so that should help, but Kone in particular is still a couple of weeks away from full training suggesting he's some way off fully contributing.

July 17, 2014, 06:35:24 PM
Reply #8

JonnyII

Is kone not fasting? did he not do this last season, or was that a myth?

oviedo might not be the same player after that injury.

July 17, 2014, 06:37:17 PM
Reply #9

MmmBlueRamirez

In light of what has been discussed above I propose we cut out losses with both Kone and Gibson. I dont this either will ever reach anywhere near their peak form, for us or anyone else for that matter ever again. I just cant see it. Id be delighted if we got 6m for both.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

July 17, 2014, 06:41:52 PM
Reply #10

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Is kone not fasting? did he not do this last season, or was that a myth?

oviedo might not be the same player after that injury.

Is it not due to finish soon?

Ramamdan I mean.

Yes, he did fast (during day light hours) last pre-season.

July 17, 2014, 06:44:39 PM
Reply #11

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It appears we're about half way through.

I'm not sure how much this actually affects athletes? Do the fine margins of professional sport make a difference?

July 17, 2014, 06:47:18 PM
Reply #12

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
In light of what has been discussed above I propose we cut out losses with both Kone and Gibson. I dont this either will ever reach anywhere near their peak form, for us or anyone else for that matter ever again. I just cant see it. Id be delighted if we got 6m for both.

Gibson is still young enough to recover fully from this and with him not being first choice then there wouldn't be an obvious rush to sell. Also, no-one is going to pay 3m for him right now.

And while with Kone, if he does take a season to come back we're left with a 32 year old with one year left on his deal, it might make sense to cut our losses, again it's very unlikely that we'd get a 3m offer now.

July 17, 2014, 06:53:09 PM
Reply #13

MmmBlueRamirez

Gibson is still young enough to recover fully from this and with him not being first choice then there wouldn't be an obvious rush to sell. Also, no-one is going to pay 3m for him right now.

And while with Kone, if he does take a season to come back we're left with a 32 year old with one year left on his deal, it might make sense to cut our losses, again it's very unlikely that we'd get a 3m offer now.

Sunderland or Hull would take both I suspect.

I see what you are saying about Gibson age-wise but I think hes to be consigned to the perma-crock scrap heap. He will never put a run of games together to demonstrate his full potential.

With us, unless Barry or McCarthy get injured were not gonna see much of him anyway IMO.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

July 17, 2014, 06:57:22 PM
Reply #14

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Can we afford to cut our losses with anyone??
Our squads tiny, we have less than last season and in general we still need 4 to get back to normal
Yes we have youth on our side but we dont wanna be throwing them in, we need to bleed them in slowly

Simply simply lovely