November 23, 2017, 01:37:14 PM

Author Topic: 'Like a new signing'  (Read 2481 times)

July 17, 2014, 06:58:05 PM
Reply #15

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Sunderland or Hull would take both I suspect.

I see what you are saying about Gibson age-wise but I think hes to be consigned to the perma-crock scrap heap. He will never put a run of games together to demonstrate his full potential.

With us, unless Barry or McCarthy get injured were not gonna see much of him anyway IMO.

I suspect that Barry would be rested a fair bit more anyway this year, never mind over the next 3.

Understandably there was the odd game where he looked like he had lead boots on last season.

deCoubertin

July 17, 2014, 07:04:10 PM
Reply #16

MmmBlueRamirez

I suspect that Barry would be rested a fair bit more anyway this year, never mind over the next 3.

Understandably there was the odd game where he looked like he had lead boots on last season.

True, but the odd game rested for Barry is not enough for Gibson to hit his straps.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

July 17, 2014, 07:06:02 PM
Reply #17

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I think Gibson will be gone this summer. With Besic coming in we have 3 very similar players, with Gibson being well down the pecking order.

I think he's going to really struggle to find the pace coming back from this injury. So I wouldent be surprised to see us get rid.

As I said, he doesn't have much of a role with Besic coming in.

July 17, 2014, 07:12:58 PM
Reply #18

Ross

Can't see anyone being interested in taking either Kone or Gibson at this point of their recovery or even us looking to off load them either. If we get a good run with injuries neither is likely to be heavily relied upon so they can ease themselves into the squad rotation over the next few months.

We need more numbers coming in and there's little point in hindering ourselves, and Gibson in particular could again prove pivotal in the long run if he can eventually regain full fitness.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 17, 2014, 07:20:28 PM
Reply #19

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Can't see anyone being interested in taking either Kone or Gibson at this point of their recovery or even us looking to off load them either. If we get a good run with injuries neither is likely to be heavily relied upon so they can ease themselves into the squad rotation over the next few months.

We need more numbers coming in and there's little point in hindering ourselves, and Gibson in particular could again prove pivotal in the long run if he can eventually regain full fitness.

Maybe. But I'm sure they'll be someone willing to take Gibson.

Even if he does regain full fitness, he's just going to be out the team again.

We seen how jags and arteta struggled when coming back from an ACL, with Gibson it's going to be ten times worse.

We probably wouldent receive much money for him. But with Besic coming in I don't see much of a place for him in our squad. 

July 17, 2014, 07:21:23 PM
Reply #20

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
If Besic ever signs, will he becoming in as a dm or a cb where he has played all last season?

Simply simply lovely

July 17, 2014, 07:29:00 PM
Reply #21

Ross

Maybe. But I'm sure they'll be someone willing to take Gibson.

Even if he does regain full fitness, he's just going to be out the team again.

We seen how jags and arteta struggled when coming back from an ACL, with Gibson it's going to be ten times worse.

We probably wouldent receive much money for him. But with Besic coming in I don't see much of a place for him in our squad.

Jags and Arteta were our main players for their respective positions, because of our squad size we didn't have the luxury to ease them back in, and it showed badly with their form. Luckily like you say we have a number of options for Gibsons position and he can be eased back and given time to get up to speed. There's no point in selling him now considering how much he'd bring in, he's worth persisting with considering he can be a good player when he's fit.

Also there's no saying how long it will take Besic to adapt to a new league, people are putting a lot of faith in him after only seeing a few games in the World Cup, but in reality he's a young player and he'll be making a big step up from the Hungarian league to a team with aspirations of a top 4-5 finish in the most competitive league in the world.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 17, 2014, 08:27:43 PM
Reply #22

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Would have thought Gibson is Barry's replacement.

Besic looks more like McCarthy as in he gets around the pitch and is tidy in possession.

Barry and Gibson have a better range of passing.

July 17, 2014, 11:11:54 PM
Reply #23

Dvm23

I think Martinez will like Gibson around the squad for European games considering his experience at Man Utd even if that did entail him watching it from the treatment table at Old Trafford. I personally hope he stays because i think a lot of people are forgetting just how well he slotted in. Will help having the options in that position because remembering the Palace game when trying to give McCarthy a breather backfired on us big time