November 23, 2017, 06:01:23 AM

Author Topic: Am I missing something?  (Read 3117 times)

August 25, 2014, 11:51:43 PM
Read 3117 times

.Rimbo.

Surely we need a centre half. It's something that really has needed addressing properly since Lescott left.

Distin's old and Jagielka and Alcaraz are getting there. None are top centre-halves. Alcaraz is also injury prone. Stones is quite young and hasn't got the amount of experience to which we could rely on him week in week out. And Duffy... What is Duffy?

We've conceded 10 goals in 4 games, 6 against Celta and Paderborn and 2 against Leicester and Arsenal. We never won a game in preseason.

While we may have five centre halves, none are top centre halves and you need at least one to truly compete. However, all we're linked with is a striker and while we could do with cover, a centre back is a priority IMO.

Even if it was a money issue, I haven't seen anyone on here say the defence isn't good enough. Everyone says if we get cover for Lukaku I'd be happy etc.

deCoubertin

August 25, 2014, 11:54:01 PM
Reply #1

The Analog Kid

I think it's been we documented over the last few weeks that we need back up at either end of the pitch. Quick.

August 26, 2014, 12:04:15 AM
Reply #2

itsmyprtyanimromelulukaku

Hibbert and Stones could be the pairing in Europa  ;D
"A relegation battle doesn't start until about ten games to go and by then we won't be anyway near it" Ross 14.01.15 i fuckin hope so lad

August 26, 2014, 12:09:23 AM
Reply #3

ally2

Priority has to be a striker. Yes we do need a good centre back but only because we would want to improve there from what we have. At least we have options though. We don't have options for a centre forward after Lukaku.

August 26, 2014, 12:11:35 AM
Reply #4

The Analog Kid

Priority has to be a striker. Yes we do need a good centre back but only because we would want to improve there from what we have. At least we have options though. We don't have options for a centre forward after Lukaku Naismith.

August 26, 2014, 12:34:04 AM
Reply #5

hill135

Top quality, experienced centre-halves cost a shedload ufortunately. We'll have to find and produce our own. Thankfully, we have a good candidate already.

August 26, 2014, 01:57:07 AM
Reply #6

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I honestly don't see us getting a centre back in at all. Martinez has shown no sign of being unhappy with the options he has at the back.

August 26, 2014, 02:55:35 AM
Reply #7

Frosty

Our options at the back are better than anywhere else on the pitch. Bar the last 10 mins of games we've haven't conceded a goal from open play so maybe this is a bit of a knee jerk reaction.  With the high tempo pressing game we play we are also going to be prone to conceding late unless we shut up shop which is what should have been done 2-0 up with 10 to play.  There's no need to bring on pacey wingers to exploit the gaps with a 2 goal advantage.  I'd rather lump it forward and defend I vigorously for 10 min and win then try and score a third

August 26, 2014, 04:12:08 AM
Reply #8

toffee_scot

I am pretty sure that if there had been a little bit more emphasis on fitness and stamina during pre season then the chances are we would not have conceded such poor goals against Leicester and Arsenal and therefore we would have won those games and no one would be talking about issues with the central defence.

I'm not saying that Jags and Distin are perfect, of course we would like to improve the overall quality of our defence but when virtually the whole team is sitting back and inviting pressure from the opposition then it's a no brainer that the opposition are more likely to score and the concentration of primarily our defenders will be tested.

Our stamina and the form of our defenders will improve within the next few weeks. Of course we have to think in the long term about our defence but Everton is not made out of money and considering the amount of expenditure we have committed ourselves to (Lukaku, new contracts, Finch Farm, Goodison Park, other operating costs etc), it could be next summer before Martinez brings a good quality defender in but at least he has 10 months to identify the perfect player to fit Everton.

August 26, 2014, 05:06:38 AM
Reply #9

BarryRathbone

Roberto might be going for "they score one we'll score two" approach meaning adequate at the back is enough. I really don't see many obvious replacements for Jags and Distin out there.

August 26, 2014, 07:22:27 AM
Reply #10

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Once the striker position has been strengthened, then we'll focus on the next weakest point of the team, centre defence.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

August 26, 2014, 08:21:08 AM
Reply #11

Cuttyblue

We need to take the long approach.  Jags was average last season but Distin and Stones were excellent.

Jagielka could go on a very good run of form and silence his critics.  My point is that: Yes, the defence has been poor the first two matches (and preseason, granted).  But before we go to panic stations, we need to see how our defence shapes up once there is time for match fitness to settle in, etc.

Patience...

August 26, 2014, 09:34:44 AM
Reply #12

pommy

Makes it worse when you get rid of players like Dier and Mustafi........they would of been perfect.

August 26, 2014, 11:11:57 AM
Reply #13

Alfie Noakes

Is there an icon for knee jerk?

August 26, 2014, 01:53:53 PM
Reply #14

SPJ

When Lukaku goes off we lose our main threat up front and tend to drop deeper as we saw on Saturday. Bringing in back up for Lukaku should allow us to be more on the front foot even when he isn't on the pitch thus reducing the burden on the defence.

I also expect to see Besic eased in at centre back as the season progresses or us to go 3 across the midfield with Besic, McCarty & Barry to protect the defence especially in the later stages of games.

On about 70 mins on Saturday the game was crying out for us to bring Besic on to sit in front of the centre backs.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:56:34 PM by SPJ »