November 24, 2017, 07:11:39 PM

Author Topic: Am I missing something?  (Read 3121 times)

August 26, 2014, 05:31:00 PM
Reply #15

Danny

Think it's a massive overreaction to say we've needed a CB since Lescott left, Distin and Jagielka have been fantastic for a long time. We definitely need a new younger CB next summer at the latest.

deCoubertin

August 26, 2014, 07:46:05 PM
Reply #16

.Rimbo.

Is there an icon for knee jerk?

Hardly a knee jerk, I'm afraid mate. I'm not talking about more expansive football leading to more vulnerability at the back, or a lack of match fitness, look at our defence since Lescott left. It has never been right. Distin is not what Lescott was and Jagielka, post-injury, is a shadow of his former self. Stones is definitely promising but we cannot be relying on either him or Duffy as a first-teamer. And Alcaraz is injury-prone and not a top-level player.

I'm surprised at the person on here who said centre back is our strongest area. If we get Eto'o, we will have Eto'o, Lukaku & Kone up front as centre forwards and the likes or Mirallas and Naismith who could operate there as auxiliary forwards (granted, that's not ideal). We have four holding midfielders in Besic, Barry, Gibson and McCarthy and we have five recognised wingers in Mirallas, Atsu, Pienaar, McGeady and Oviedo (despite Martinez saying he sees Pienaar as more of a central player etc.) The squad just seems unbalanced in parts.

Surely you have to sort your first team out first. Our first team is fine, except for centre-half. But now we looking at getting Eto'o in on Gods-knows-how-much and maybe even Welbeck or Hernandez?! And people would be happy with that? Four out-and-out strikers when we play one up front but not a top centre-half in sight.

I would be delighted with our business this season if he had a centre-half but obviously I'm duty-bound to reserve judgement until the close of the transfer window. Either Martinez will address this, he has blind faith in Jagielka & Distin, or he is going to promote John Stones permanently even if his development sets us back slightly in the early months.

August 26, 2014, 07:46:31 PM
Reply #17

.Rimbo.

Think it's a massive overreaction to say we've needed a CB since Lescott left, Distin and Jagielka have been fantastic for a long time. We definitely need a new younger CB next summer at the latest.

Distin =/= Lescott

August 26, 2014, 11:02:04 PM
Reply #18

blob

we wouldn't be having this conversation if you didn't know distin's age. in reality, we do of course, but i don't see any signs of him slowing down, yet. i'm a big fan.

lescott doesn't play for us...

August 31, 2014, 02:09:45 AM
Reply #19

.Rimbo.

My knee is still jerking, fam.

Must be all that fatigue as to why we were 2-0 down after four minutes. 10 goals conceded in 3, 16 goals conceded in 5. Over 3 goals a game on average conceded. Scored 7 in 3 with 2 points to show for it.

Anyway, any movement on Welbeck or Negredo?

August 31, 2014, 02:42:22 AM
Reply #20

hill135

Nastasic anyone? He's available.

August 31, 2014, 04:11:48 AM
Reply #21

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
My knee is still jerking, fam.

Must be all that fatigue as to why we were 2-0 down after four minutes. 10 goals conceded in 3, 16 goals conceded in 5. Over 3 goals a game on average conceded. Scored 7 in 3 with 2 points to show for it.

Anyway, any movement on Welbeck or Negredo?

Spot on mate. After 3 minutes we had conced 4 goals in 10 min if you count the arsenal game. We then conced for in 20 min later in the game. It's not fitness. It's defending that's the problem.

Our captain needs to bear the responsibility. He is the leader of the team and the defence and he is currently our weakest link.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

August 31, 2014, 04:17:08 AM
Reply #22

Toffee Rappa

Spot on mate. After 3 minutes we had conced 4 goals in 10 min if you count the arsenal game. We then conced for in 20 min later in the game. It's not fitness. It's defending that's the problem.

Our captain needs to bear the responsibility. He is the leader of the team and the defence and he is currently our weakest link.

Very good point...if the captain is culpable (more than once), his position of leadership must be in question. Consequently, (and this is a question) does Roberto, against WBA, give the armband to (say) McCarthy.

August 31, 2014, 04:27:44 AM
Reply #23

Parkend1878

Just got home now and fuck me im annoyed, for the life of me I cant get my head around what was an absolutely solid back 2 has turned into this.
The lads who sits next to me made a mad point which, I can sort of understand. "last season they still had Moyes defensive coaching in their game, now its gone and we look like wigan"
reflecting on that I do to a degree agree.
I don't thing bringing in a new CB will help, on paper we have top defenders.

is this Robertos achilles heel?

August 31, 2014, 04:40:30 AM
Reply #24

ally2

Just got home now and fuck me im annoyed, for the life of me I cant get my head around what was an absolutely solid back 2 has turned into this.
The lads who sits next to me made a mad point which, I can sort of understand. "last season they still had Moyes defensive coaching in their game, now its gone and we look like wigan"
reflecting on that I do to a degree agree.
I don't thing bringing in a new CB will help, on paper we have top defenders.

is this Robertos achilles heel?

I don't think this is a Martinez problem because a Defence is not just one thing. Today there were individual defensive mistakes, joint defensive mistakes, and the defensive midfielders were not performing. Last season, all of those were working quite well in a Martinez style with some Martinez players.

August 31, 2014, 04:58:03 AM
Reply #25

Parkend1878

I don't think this is a Martinez problem because a Defence is not just one thing. Today there were individual defensive mistakes, joint defensive mistakes, and the defensive midfielders were not performing. Last season, all of those were working quite well in a Martinez style with some Martinez players.
[/quote

so for the last 3 games our defence has been woeful, I love Martinez for everything he has done for our club. But there as got to be some accountability for our defending. Were fucking shit compared to how we were last season and prior. Do we blame Roy Hodgson for Jags coming back the way he playing?
On their day Jags and distan are as good as they come.
I think Stones and Distan, as last season needs to be done again

August 31, 2014, 05:01:49 AM
Reply #26

ally2

[/quote

so for the last 3 games our defence has been woeful, I love Martinez for everything he has done for our club. But there as got to be some accountability for our defending. Were fucking shit compared to how we were last season and prior. Do we blame Roy Hodgson for Jags coming back the way he playing?
On their day Jags and distan are as good as they come.
I think Stones and Distan, as last season needs to be done again

I think I probably agree with you about stones. All I'm saying is that the personnel is the same as last season so you can't say that Martinez can't organise a defence. He can because they were doing it last year his way with the same players. I suppose a different question is 'can he fix a defence?'  We'll see I guess.