November 18, 2017, 07:12:59 AM

Author Topic: The Captaincy  (Read 2459 times)

May 26, 2010, 03:34:11 AM
Reply #15

Gash

Global Moderator
150% agree Cahill was worse when he wore the armband. Hopefully Moyes picks up on that and spares him the responsibility. I wouldn't consider Saha an untouchable personally, and I don't think any of our strikers played particularly well season gone. I hear what you're saying about Howard but I feel he's got better rather than complacent. It's Baines who needs a proper threat imo.

Yeah, agree with Baines too, although unlike Cahill, he's had a very good season, but your right, a bit of pressure for places would be nice. Won't happen, but it would be nice.

deCoubertin

May 26, 2010, 03:41:08 AM
Reply #16

Blueney-tunes

for the foreseeable it will be Neville by a country mile!
Other teams would kill for his tutorlidge.

As good at Arteta or Heitinga would be, neither has the same level of organisation, commitment, big game experience, communication... etc etc

May 26, 2010, 04:11:49 AM
Reply #17

.Rimbo.

150% agree Cahill was worse when he wore the armband. Hopefully Moyes picks up on that and spares him the responsibility. I wouldn't consider Saha an untouchable personally, and I don't think any of our strikers played particularly well season gone. I hear what you're saying about Howard but I feel he's got better rather than complacent. It's Baines who needs a proper threat imo.

Baines doesn't need a proper threat IMO mate, he's been performing excellently these last two years!

What he needs, however, is a fella on the bench who can give him a breather every now and then, he must be fucked.

May 26, 2010, 12:31:08 PM
Reply #18

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
for the foreseeable it will be Neville by a country mile!
Other teams would kill for his tutorlidge.

As good at Arteta or Heitinga would be, neither has the same level of organisation, commitment, big game experience, communication... etc etc

I like Neville but I think you're underestimating the importance of having a captain who can lead be example not just in words.

Neville had a knock it seems (hence the surgery end of season) and I'm not sure how long he has been carrying it but for a captain needs to be one of the better players on the pitch and last season Neville wasn't even close.

Frankly I'd say Neville wasn't our best player in any position last season. We saw Hibbert being a better RB when he had the chance plus we had a few exciting appearances by Coleman that give some promise to next season. And we saw Heitinga and Fellaini bossing the midfield in a way Neville doesn't seem to be able to do as much anymore. So for me it is worrying as Neville isn't getting into the team on form anymore as he was in previous seasons. He is getting there because he wears the armband and I don't think his organizational skills are so much better than some of the others that he should be playing for that reason alone.

There are 11 professionals out there who know what they are doing for the most part and when they don't I'd be confident Heitinga or Baines for example could be able and vocal enough to take over the captain's duties.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:33:37 PM by blueToffee »

May 26, 2010, 12:49:24 PM
Reply #19

nomorechang

RIP
I think Phil will be ' phased out ' over this season in the same way Moyesey eased out Stubbsy and Davy Weir , He'll be given the option of continuing his playing career elewhere or taking a job with the coaching staff ... Probably at the end of next season ... In the nean time , Moyes will have the chance to try out a few candidates for the Captaincy .. Personally I think it will be Jags but there are a few who could take up the role .Arteta , Johnny , Cahill , Ossie , Howard , being the obvious ones ,, definitely Jack Rodwell in a few years time !
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

May 26, 2010, 01:51:47 PM
Reply #20

everton-4-ever

heitinga or jagielka will get it imo

but not before they have to cut it off neville that boy wont give it up quietly
do to the man as the man would to you but do it first!!

May 26, 2010, 04:01:05 PM
Reply #21

Murf666

I'm going to start a "Mikky for Skipper" campaign.  The reasons are obvious:

1) He's got to be the first name on the teamsheet
2) He plays in the centre
3) He seems to love the club
4) It might be another reason to encourage him to stay with us
There's nobody better than Murf667, she's the best little Evertonian I know!
As for you, Murf 668, your Everton shirt can hardly wait.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate!