November 18, 2017, 05:55:27 PM

Author Topic: 'Everton fans are entitled to expect more from lukaku'  (Read 6009 times)

October 06, 2014, 06:44:24 PM
Read 6009 times

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-analysis-romelu-lukaku-7888846

Think this article pretty much nails the problem with lukaku

deCoubertin

October 06, 2014, 06:52:43 PM
Reply #1

Gary1878

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-analysis-romelu-lukaku-7888846

Think this article pretty much nails the problem with lukaku

Lukaku needs to up his game all round. He first touch is still a major issue, his passing is inaccurate, and he doesn't hold the ball up well at all for a big lad.

However, i am sure that I am not alone in thinking that his energy and workrate is awful. He needs to get the work ethic of Naismith pronto, otherwise, i think Stevie N will take his place up top, and rightly.

October 06, 2014, 07:18:22 PM
Reply #2

blue slug

Yesterday when the ball came into him his layoff passingwas really poor. He really hould be able to hold the ball up better and layoff a simple few yard pass. I have been very disappointed in him so far this season

October 06, 2014, 07:19:15 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Issue with that is that he doesn't look like he can at the moment.

His running with the ball seems much more laboured than last season; or at least in the 2 spells (early on and post injury) when he was fresh.

Compare his runs against Arsenal.

For his goal last season, he powered forward, leaving players in his wake and skipping past the defender in the box.

For his assist to Naismith this season, he gets past the initial man, however his control was laboured and by the end he had to pass it as he was getting caught up by the defenders coming back to him.

No idea why this is the case, obviously.

I just don't buy into the lazy argument as he clearly spends a lot of time learning about football etc.

There is also the argument that big strikers don't have the same mobility/stamina as someone like Naismith who are simply built differently. They're built for powerful bursts not constant legging it round the pitch (this is from Zlatan's book... :) )

But as I said, he can/should be more dynamic than he is at the moment. And whoever it's up to, they could do with starting it soon.

That is the first step.

The other stuff will come later anyway.

His link up play and passing is erratic, not shite. As for Osman's chance he plays a nice first time lay off to Naismith and peels away which opens up the corridor to play the pass. Other times, the idea is there but the execution isn't. I'd rather he tried the right idea and fail, than never try at all, as with practice it should improve and we'll be the better for it when it does.

For hold up play, his technique is poor. He shows the ball too often to the defender who only has to get a toe on it to have done his job. He needs to have more of his body inbetween the defender and the ball. He also needs to control the ball sometimes with his right foot. He passes and shoots with his right, so there's no "one foot" issue here; just confidence/application.

These things can be worked on though.

He definitely does need to be more aggressive though. As the article mentions, his debut at West Ham had everything in it that you'd want from a striker so it is there.

The big thing though, is that we've signed him on a 5 year deal.

All of the above don't suddenly have to be there 99% of the time, starting from the next game.

They won't be as they weren't all there last season either.

But sorting his dynamism out is the main thing, right now. Get that back and he'll still be scoring goals at a very good rate, even if nothing else improves this season.

October 06, 2014, 07:29:37 PM
Reply #4

Toddacelli

While the international break is on - we should declare him unfit for international duty and then get Straqualursi back at the club for Lukaku to train with - whatever it costs.

Imagine if Big Rom had The Strac's attitude and workrate?   Sheeeesh!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 06, 2014, 07:40:29 PM
Reply #5

ally2

Pinning hopes on Barkley to solve everything is not helpful. He will return without match sharpness into a team running low on confidence and with defensive problems. Even at his best, he loses the ball in dangerous areas and our fans are generally inpatient, even more so with the form we are in now.

October 06, 2014, 08:02:23 PM
Reply #6

bacon sarnie

"A fit, focused, hungry Lukaku can be nigh-on unplayable. He can drag excellent results out of average performances, and do so with style as well."

Why Bill opened his wallet.

October 06, 2014, 08:29:26 PM
Reply #7

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
He is playing really poorly but I still don't think we are playing to his strengths or giving him good service

Not many great goal scorers just run around constantly though and chase everything down, I think a big chunk of our fans think that this is the main element to being a good striker. Much more important to score goals, though he isn't doing much of that at the moment either!
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

October 06, 2014, 08:33:59 PM
Reply #8

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Not many great goal scorers just run around constantly though and chase everything down, I think a big chunk of our fans think that this is the main element to being a good striker.
Then moan that he is doing too much work outside the box, always on the wings etc etc

Simply simply lovely

October 06, 2014, 08:34:52 PM
Reply #9

Thornton_19

I think the problem is the difference between a good and bad game for Lukaku is goals. At the moment he isn't scoring so all we can judge him on is his effort. Which for him and most others can be minimal.

October 06, 2014, 08:36:15 PM
Reply #10

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I think Lukaku can rightly expect more from Everton fans as well though. Unless he scores there are a lot of groans at the lad, I always go back to it and I know the money thing puts him rightly under more pressure but Jelavic got away with fucking murder for ages.

Not that any of the things in the article are wrong, they aren't.

October 06, 2014, 08:40:55 PM
Reply #11

Heisenberg

I think Lukaku can rightly expect more from Everton fans as well though. Unless he scores there are a lot of groans at the lad, I always go back to it and I know the money thing puts him rightly under more pressure but Jelavic got away with fucking murder for ages.

Not that any of the things in the article are wrong, they aren't.

Jelavic is one case. But what about big vic? He was absolutely bollocked for his performances. And in them performances he probably did more than lukaku has the past 7 games
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:41:45 PM by Heisenberg »

October 06, 2014, 08:41:40 PM
Reply #12

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Jelavic is one case. But what about big vic? He was absolutely bollocked for his performances. And in the performances he probably did more than lukaku has the past 7 games

And I never understood that either.

October 06, 2014, 08:43:25 PM
Reply #13

Heisenberg

And I never understood that either.

To be fair mate though, I think youre genuinely just unable to offer any criticism
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:43:44 PM by Heisenberg »

October 06, 2014, 08:49:23 PM
Reply #14

Heisenberg

He is playing really poorly but I still don't think we are playing to his strengths or giving him good service

Not many great goal scorers just run around constantly though and chase everything down, I think a big chunk of our fans think that this is the main element to being a good striker. Much more important to score goals, though he isn't doing much of that at the moment either!

Actually disagree with other players not playing to his strengths. I think its him not playing to their strengths. Playing with  2 holding midfielders and Naismith in the middle. Were relying on our Width, hes not making runs behind the defence, or even busting a gut to get in the box. He's very stationary and lack luster. He also struggles to turn with the ball, and when he's running at a defender I have not much confidence in him getting past, due to his poor ball control.

I've seen a few people say this though, and playing with the sort of slow build up play we do with neat possession. How do you think we could get the best out of Lukaku (serious question by the way)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:49:45 PM by Heisenberg »