November 21, 2017, 02:23:56 PM

Author Topic: 12 years ago today  (Read 3589 times)

October 20, 2014, 11:38:01 PM
Reply #30

macko

i personally can't wait til Konedog's back.
Breath hold don't your.
We shall not be moved!

deCoubertin

October 20, 2014, 11:41:27 PM
Reply #31

macko

Not only that, it's a fucking idiotic shout in itself. We'd been holding talks with United all throughout the summer. But right from the start it was blatantly obvious that we're desperate to sell and desperate for the money.

So how exactly would it have improved our position, had Rooney further reduced our negotiating power by declaring that he wanted to leave early on?
We weren't holding talks with manure all summer at all.They only moved at the end after the skunks made abid.
We shall not be moved!

October 20, 2014, 11:52:00 PM
Reply #32

Major Clanger

We weren't holding talks with manure all summer at all.They only moved at the end after the skunks made abid.

While we're at it, can I interest you in some magic beans?
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 20, 2014, 11:53:55 PM
Reply #33

macko

While we're at it, can I interest you in some magic beans?
Isn't that what Gill said to Kenwright?
We shall not be moved!

October 21, 2014, 04:03:53 AM
Reply #34

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Isn't that what Gill said to Kenwright?

haha, i think you're wrong in your general argument, but great line!
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 21, 2014, 03:41:12 PM
Reply #35

Paddockoldie

Paul Stretford is equally culpable there,of course.

Just to add. I think the Echo were complicit in the saga that unfolded. They had Newcastle as favourites to sign out of the two. Then Robson puts his bid in, which started the 'chase'.... this was the blag bid because he was sacked the following week... who gives an about to be sacked manager 23 mill to bid??
This then led to Man U upping the bid and getting their man... as if by magic.
The Echo, Everton and Rooney knew where he was heading before that initial bid. Then we had the misreading of the t shirt and then the battle of the valley because it stirred such strong emotions... seems an age ago now, but I still believe the Echo hid the story to protect Moyes/EFC from the fan pressure.

Overall, I think he did us a favour by going.. we got the petulant Rooney, bookings etc and lashing out. Utd got a player who grew at Utd... but, I agree with others. I don't think he became world class, still isn't.

October 21, 2014, 08:12:23 PM
Reply #36

74Blue

A good friend of mine has played golf for years with one of the execs that was involved in the Rooney deal, one of the Utd execs. His version of it was that Utd and Everton had spoken about the possibility of Rooney going well before the bid came in and there was an informal agreement of sorts that Utd would be kept in the loop, should Rooney become available. Utd had originally wanted to wait another season before signing him, but had kind of had their hand forced slightly because of another interested party - Newcastle. The concensus is that the Newcastle bid was a result of Paul Stretford making noises in Newcastle's direction, telling them that Rooney was available for the right sort of money. There was never any danger of Rooney going to Newcastle, as Utd were always going to match them in terms of money, and already had this informal agreement in place, so would always have the opportunity to make a bid, should he be made available. The story is that Stretford knew how much pressure was on Everton from creditors, and therefore knew the size of bid required to pressurised Everton intoselling. BK's public statements of "I wouldn't sell Rooney for 50m" were his way of making everything look rosy to the outside world. In truth, Everton were in major financial shit and desperately needed the money to satisfy creditors.

October 21, 2014, 08:24:13 PM
Reply #37

Ross

A good friend of mine has played golf for years with one of the execs that was involved in the Rooney deal, one of the Utd execs. His version of it was that Utd and Everton had spoken about the possibility of Rooney going well before the bid came in and there was an informal agreement of sorts that Utd would be kept in the loop, should Rooney become available. Utd had originally wanted to wait another season before signing him, but had kind of had their hand forced slightly because of another interested party - Newcastle. The concensus is that the Newcastle bid was a result of Paul Stretford making noises in Newcastle's direction, telling them that Rooney was available for the right sort of money. There was never any danger of Rooney going to Newcastle, as Utd were always going to match them in terms of money, and already had this informal agreement in place, so would always have the opportunity to make a bid, should he be made available. The story is that Stretford knew how much pressure was on Everton from creditors, and therefore knew the size of bid required to pressurised Everton intoselling. BK's public statements of "I wouldn't sell Rooney for 50m" were his way of making everything look rosy to the outside world. In truth, Everton were in major financial shit and desperately needed the money to satisfy creditors.

Yeah I've heard all this as well, didn't Stretford also have an office in St.James Park as well?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

October 21, 2014, 08:41:41 PM
Reply #38

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
A lad I knew who knocked round with his brother said alex ferguson used to ring his mum to keep checking up on him haha. This was when he was still in school

Didn't we play him right back once, when we got wind of scouts being there?

October 21, 2014, 08:49:00 PM
Reply #39

School of Science

Yeah I've heard all this as well, didn't Stretford also have an office in St.James Park as well?

Also heard Bill had a very good relationship with the then Newcastle chairman, was it Freddy Shepherd ? There was no way Rooney was staying with Everton, his head was well turned and the whole of the media wanted Rooney at United. To a lesser extent this is happening all over again with Barkley, even though he has just signed a new 4 year deal.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15