2 (7.1%)
Gibson (Sub)
0 (0%)
Naismith (Sub)
0 (0%)
Osman (Sub)
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Sunderland v Everton  (Read 19968 times)

November 10, 2014, 05:21:42 AM
Reply #675

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
Seems a bit like Martinez is putting all his eggs in one basket with the Europa League.

Won't complain if it comes off like!

It wouldn't be a bad trade by any means if we can progress to the latter stages. If I'm honest I think we'd struggle over two legs v a good European side. I don't even think we'll finish top of our group.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts

November 10, 2014, 05:44:08 AM
Reply #676

bluestevie

It wouldn't be a bad trade by any means if we can progress to the latter stages. If I'm honest I think we'd struggle over two legs v a good European side. I don't even think we'll finish top of our group.

A win in Germany pretty much guarantees top spot though
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

November 10, 2014, 06:51:12 AM
Reply #677

oztoffee

If I'm honest I think we'd struggle over two legs v a good European side. I don't even think we'll finish top of our group.
[/quote]
Finishing top isn't a pre-requisite for the knock-out stages, but take a look at who are the top of each group....there's some immense talent there. We'll need a good draw for the next stage to have an equal chance of progressing. But stranger things have happened.
What would you do if you came home and found Alex Young in bed with your wife?
Cover him up so he won't get cold!

November 10, 2014, 07:05:51 AM
Reply #678

Shogun

Administrator
I actually think we are more likely to win a two legged tie than we would be just the one match.

We've showed in the group how solid we can be away from home and then put other teams to the sword in he reverse fixture.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

November 10, 2014, 07:06:59 AM
Reply #679

Bluedylan

We really need to top the group, because we'll get a CL dropout if we don't. Think the Wolfsburg game will be really tough, but it'll be nice to see a team actually try to play football and score against us, and maybe we'll have the chance to play a bit as a result.

Obviously teams can play how they want, and if it works to get them a point when they are expected to get beat, then fair play to them. Breaking down park the bus merchants is a challenge that a lot of possession teams have to deal with, and we've not done it well enough in the last two league games.

I don't buy that Martinez is putting all his eggs in the EL basket. He's rested key players for a few of the EL games to keep things fresh for the Prem, and he's continually said that we're not going to make excuses about the impact of EL on the league form. I think he'll be just as disappointed as we are that we couldn't break Swansea and Sunderland down, and probably unhappy with a few players and the way they are playing (although he'd never say it publicly).

I do think the criticism of putting square pegs in round holes is justified though.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 10, 2014, 07:32:54 AM
Reply #680

Shogun

Administrator
I don't think the seedings work like that so that we'd avoid CL dropouts. I think it's:

Seeded:
- 12 EL Group Winners
- 4 best (most points) CL 3rd place teams

Unseeded:
- 12 EL Group Runners Up
- 4 Worst (least points) CL 3rd place teams

So we could get a fucker of a draw even if we finish top whilst Spurs wiill probably finish second and still end up with a team from Armenia or something.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:33:28 AM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

November 10, 2014, 07:36:27 AM
Reply #681

Bluedylan

I don't think the seedings work like that so that we'd avoid CL dropouts. I think it's:

Seeded:
- 12 EL Group Winners

Unseeded:
- 12 EL Group Runners Up

So we could get a fucker of a draw even if we finish top whilst Spurs wiill probably finish second and still end up with a team from Armenia or something.

Ah right. Nice one. Massive task if we're unseeded then.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 10, 2014, 03:02:42 PM
Reply #682

Rhys

Seeded:
- 12 EL Group Winners

Unseeded:
- 12 EL Group Runners Up

Exactly I think that gets missed. We could finish top and end up drawing juventus or Roma. Obviously less chance of getting someone decent if do finish top though.

November 10, 2014, 05:52:13 PM
Reply #683

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Just hoping that something is being said behind the scenes and we use another international break to sort it out.
I have to return some videotapes.

November 10, 2014, 06:31:20 PM
Reply #684

Evertonian in NC

It's just fucking Sunderland again, lads and Lizz.  Didn't understand it last season, either.  It is what it is.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 10, 2014, 06:51:38 PM
Reply #685

Django

NSNO Subscriber
Getting frustrated with Everton this season. A mixture of poor fitness at the start and now the ongoing calamity with injuries, albeit out of our control, is leaving us with far too much ground to make up. Especially with the easy games we've had. Honestly expected better after the summer business.