November 23, 2017, 08:03:06 AM

Author Topic: Three attainable players  (Read 9225 times)

May 27, 2010, 09:40:03 PM
Read 9225 times

.Rimbo.

I never like making threads like this but this has come to me in the last couple of days and I really feel the need to post it. I usually hate this type of thread as well.

Anyway, here goes, it seems that three of the four Africans may no longer be with us at the start of next summer (Yobo, Yakubu, Pienaar). All three have been linked with exits and two of them are now looking very likely, with Yobo also being a very valuable player to sell. I know these values may be a little off but here it goes:

Yakubu: £10 million
Pienaar: £10 million
Yobo: £5 million

That gives us around £25 million to spend on replacements, now I don't really know what we're going to do in terms of centre-halves but the easiest solution, unless Moyes has seen something he doesn't like, would be to bring Senderos in on a free given that he's young and probably won't command that much of a wage. I am still undecided on his quality but if needs be we could sell him in a few years for a bit of cash. I am not really a fan of selling Yobo either but he is the only one of our centre-halves we could sell for a profit.

The Hatem Ben Arfa links are growing now; he has said he wants to play in England and that the sport is more important to him than the money, his agent has said we've been after him for a while and it's certainly a possibility etc. Apparently, despite all this £40 million talk, he's available for around £10 million. I think that £40 million was just a hands-off warning, like when Bayern asked for £80 million for Ribery.

As I've said in other threads, I see Cameron Jerome as a very good idea for a striker. He has all the tools, in my opinion, to make the grade at this level. These days the game is all about pace, power, strength etc. and he certainly has all that. Look at Chelsea as they're the benchmark; strong, powerful team of athletes. Jerome is certainly an athlete, he can play as a target man, hold the ball up, use both feet and is good in the air. Given that Birmingham have just signed Nikola Zigic, who is a similar player, I can see Jerome being available on the cheap. Say we sell Yakubu for £10 million, I think we could get Jerome for £6-7 million, and I think with the right service he could be a goal machine.

That gives us around £8 million to work with and I suggest strengthening the right hand side. Charles N'Zogbia, for me, would be an excellent addition and would give us just what we need. He's young, quick, a hard-worker, can go both ways and has proven last season that he can make match-winning contributions. I doubt we'd be able to get him for £8 million but if we throw, say, James Vaughan into the mix as part of a swap deal, then that could possibly tempt them. Neither player would have to move house, N'Zogbia makes a step-up and Vaughan gets more game time at the JJB. Personally, I don't think JV will make it but if he can put his injuries behind him (or just play some more games!) he can be a very good striker. He's a superb talent when he's on the pitch and playing.

Ben Arfa: £10-12 million
Jerome: £5-7 million
N'Zogbia: £12 million

Net income: £25 million
Net spend: £27-31 million

Of course, these figures aren't really accurate but it gives you an idea of how we could go about replacing Pienaar, Yakubu etc. I don't know if these will come off but if one or two do I'll be a very happy chappy. Yakubu, Yobo and Pienaar are close to top-earners (Pienaar maybe a little less) but I doubt Jerome. Senderos or N'Zogbia will demand those sorts of wages so the wage bill will probably stay around the same, although Ben Arfa will be after a fair bit.

Next season though, that'd give us a potential first team of:

Howard

Neville Jagielka Heitinga Baines

Fellaini Arteta
N'Zogbia                      Ben Arfa
Bilyaletdinov

Jerome

You're bringing the average age down massively as well.

Pienaar- 28
Yakubu- 27
Yobo- 29

Ben Arfa- 23
N'Zogbia- 23
Jerome- 23
Senderos- 25

deCoubertin

May 27, 2010, 09:42:10 PM
Reply #1

Jamokachi

I could cope with that come the end of August.

May 27, 2010, 09:43:26 PM
Reply #2

DannyR

I'd take that out-come the end of the window
I like my coffee how I like my women, with 2 e's in them.

May 27, 2010, 09:43:32 PM
Reply #3

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Interesting. Not a fan of CJ though, he's like Birmingham's Jason Scotland

May 27, 2010, 09:45:09 PM
Reply #4

KingdingalingNL

That team screams goals ! I would be happy with that team.  nod

May 27, 2010, 09:45:13 PM
Reply #5

everton-4-ever

get the other two but jerome does nothing for me
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:47:52 PM by everton-4-ever »
do to the man as the man would to you but do it first!!

May 27, 2010, 09:47:17 PM
Reply #6

bloody scally

I wouldn't be happy with that outcome. A step sideways imo.

May 27, 2010, 09:58:54 PM
Reply #7

ilikebrunettes

Cameron Jerome is shite.
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

May 27, 2010, 09:59:31 PM
Reply #8

Jamokachi

Interesting. Not a fan of CJ though, he's like Birmingham's Jason Scotland

Apart from the fact he can score goals?

May 27, 2010, 10:00:06 PM
Reply #9

jongre123

I don't know if it was posted in the yakubu thread but I forgot that I read somewhere that said we were interested in trading yakubu with cole, this was before the rumours came about the 7m offer.

May 27, 2010, 10:01:15 PM
Reply #10

.Rimbo.

I wouldn't be happy with that outcome. A step sideways imo.

What can you do when you have a chairman who hasn't got money to put into the club and no-one is looking to buy you whilst all the other teams around you are spending big? The only thing you can do is try to keep your head above water.

We've proven last season we can mix it with the best and would've finished higher were it not for injuries and dropping silly points, our actual team doesn't need that much work.

May 27, 2010, 10:01:15 PM
Reply #11

Jamokachi

Cameron Jerome is shite.

Please buy one of these.

May 27, 2010, 10:02:09 PM
Reply #12

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Highly doubt they'd let Jerome go.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

May 27, 2010, 10:03:31 PM
Reply #13

.Rimbo.

Cameron Jerome is shite.

If he played in France and was called Cameron Le Jeromen, you'd disagree. It's because he's an unfashionable player, playing for an unfashionable team and he hasn't won 4 European Cups, 2 World Cups, 4 La Ligas etc.

For some reason mate, you seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder with regards to English football and seem to treat every single player playing abroad with much higher regard than you do players in England. I know you don't like the "Premier League is the best in the World" Sky attitude, and I don't necessarily agree with it either, but you're so anti-English football at times it's unreal.

Maybe not on this point, because you're not the only one who doesn't like Jerome, but on that Gerrard thread definitely, and a lot of threads in the past too.

May 27, 2010, 10:06:31 PM
Reply #14

cantoffee

I don't rate Jerome, but that's not a bad summer.