November 22, 2017, 05:18:44 AM

Author Topic: Three attainable players  (Read 9223 times)

May 28, 2010, 06:53:19 AM
Reply #90

.Rimbo.

when has rafa ever signed a player like N'zogbia?
you comparing him to auerlio or nunez?!!

Rimbo: thats a very good point actually. having a big man up front could give us another option, especially having an out and out winger in the side.
Keane would be great when we play football on the deck, but we do have an tendancy to play some big hoofs into the box (with indifferent success)

the reason why i thought Keane could shoot us to a higher position is merely based on his goal scoring record.

Yes, he's a proven goalscorer and so for that reasoning I can see where you are coming from. I suppose it comes down to what Moyes wants.

As I said in that Michael Owen thread, though, I am warming to the idea of getting shut of the likes of Yakubu, Yobo, Pienaar etc. and getting some young, hungry talent in who really want to prove their worth in the game. I don't want some old, washed-up players who are just coming here for the paycheck.

deCoubertin

May 28, 2010, 03:56:53 PM
Reply #91

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Haha, no-one comes to EFC for the paycheck!

I agree about the age of our team now though.

How many (very good) players are in the first half of their careers?

In our financial state we need players to have a sell on value, young players obviously carry that longer.

Pienaar, the Yak, Yobo, Arteta are only going to go down in value, realistically, so cashing in while they're at their peak value makes sense.

It may not be the quickest way of ensuring progress, but in 2 years time we should be in a healthier position financially and on the pitch.

May 28, 2010, 04:31:55 PM
Reply #92

bloody scally

If we get silly(ish) money for the Yak and Pienaar then sell Yobo go in for Cazorla (15m bracket)- we won't get him but we might aswell try. We should be aiming for players of quality even with our shit fianances then padding out the squad with frees, loans and cheapos. If Piennar goes then bring in someone of equal quality that isn't similair to Ben Arfa / Obertan. As has been touted around recently; we need an athelete to balance the squad. Not a scrawny, little bag of tricks that will act more as a luxury player than a game-winner.

N'zogbia = Ryan Babel

As for this; this. I don't rate N'Zogbia and don't believe he is what we need. He's a good little player for "lower" teams, looks the bizz from time to time, but I don't see much more potential there. If Pienaar goes, then unfortuantely we should be looking to address the second winger problem in the next summer window (such is the fianances of our beloved club).

I know there isn't much structure to this comment so I aplogise. We should look to- if at all possible- improve the first 11 with better players if at all possible then look to bring in sideways players.

On another note, has there been any prices mentioned regarding a Donovan transfer? Things are silent on that front.

May 28, 2010, 07:45:43 PM
Reply #93

.Rimbo.

N'zogbia = Ryan Babel

He may be a similar player to Ryan Babel but he's got a better head on his shoulders and Babel could be a top player now had he gone to Arsenal or just not joined Liverpool. Getting splinters off the bench has clearly stunted his development as a player.

I don't think either player's talents can be doubted though, in all honesty.

May 28, 2010, 07:49:30 PM
Reply #94

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He may be a similar player to Ryan Babel but he's got a better head on his shoulders and Babel could be a top player now had he gone to Arsenal or just not joined Liverpool. Getting splinters off the bench has clearly stunted his development as a player.

I don't think either player's talents can be doubted though, in all honesty.

I'd take Babel off them in an instant.

May 28, 2010, 09:39:14 PM
Reply #95

.Rimbo.

I'd take Babel off them in an instant.

He has a lot of the stuff we are clearly lacking in our side, but he'd need to sort his head out first IMO. Moyes probably could do that though...

May 28, 2010, 10:03:58 PM
Reply #96

rozzie22

babel is hardly noted for his end product, whilst N'zogbia scores some cracking goals and can beat a defender for fun.

To say he is a lower team player is confusing. he has a very good season in a poor side, surely that shows his quality?
is it a bit like saying "well there's no point in going for lower team players as their quality ones only stand out because they are in a poor side" when surely its the opposite?

N'zogbia is a perfect player for us. he gives us width, wing play, pace, age on his side, lower wage demands and he would come here bang in form (and he is already settled in this part of the country)

May 28, 2010, 10:20:42 PM
Reply #97

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
babel is hardly noted for his end product, whilst N'zogbia scores some cracking goals and can beat a defender for fun.

To say he is a lower team player is confusing. he has a very good season in a poor side, surely that shows his quality?
is it a bit like saying "well there's no point in going for lower team players as their quality ones only stand out because they are in a poor side" when surely its the opposite?

N'zogbia is a perfect player for us. he gives us width, wing play, pace, age on his side, lower wage demands and he would come here bang in form (and he is already settled in this part of the country)

Out of the two N'Zogbia excites me more but I think your assessment of Babel is off.  Liverpool have destroyed him, he has proven elsewhere he does have end product and I think he would be a good signing for us too although it would never happen.  Both players have their flaws but Moyes is the bloke to sort them out!

May 28, 2010, 10:27:46 PM
Reply #98

rozzie22

i think my assessment is 100% correct as it stands. He isnt a dynamic winger and yes his confidence is shot to pieces at the moment but he had the same problem when he first came into english football after a successful season in the Netherlands.
he doesnt excite me as a player and wouldnt go near him, especially considering his wage and price tag.

when you say "he has done it elsewhere" you are correct, but in the top dutch division and an u-21 competition in his home country. however, there's a lot of other players who can claim the same who also failed to deal with playing in bigger leagues week in and week out.

There's no point in buying a player who might do the job when we can buy one who HAS done the job and IS doing the job in the premiership.

May 28, 2010, 10:31:59 PM
Reply #99

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
i think my assessment is 100% correct as it stands. He isnt a dynamic winger and yes his confidence is shot to pieces at the moment but he had the same problem when he first came into english football after a successful season in the Netherlands.
he doesnt excite me as a player and wouldnt go near him, especially considering his wage and price tag.

when you say "he has done it elsewhere" you are correct, but in the top dutch division and an u-21 competition in his home country. however, there's a lot of other players who can claim the same who also failed to deal with playing in bigger leagues week in and week out.

There's no point in buying a player who might do the job when we can buy one who HAS done the job and IS doing the job in the premiership.

I agree in that it is a no brainer if the choice is N'Zogbia OR Babel.  I would however, be happy if we took a chance on Babel as he has obvious class.  His failure to show that so far reminds me of the likes of Donovan in Germany and that is why I think he can still come good.  Sometime it is just a case of wrong club at the wrong time and let us be honest, Liverpool are always the wrong club! ;)

May 28, 2010, 10:37:19 PM
Reply #100

rozzie22

now thats something we agree on!

i hope he proves me wrong because you are right, he does look a talented player but i wonder if he is another in the long list of having impressive attributes but is unable to do it on bigger stages.

May 28, 2010, 10:38:42 PM
Reply #101

.Rimbo.

now thats something we agree on!

i hope he proves me wrong because you are right, he does look a talented player but i wonder if he is another in the long list of having impressive attributes but is unable to do it on bigger stages.

I would only hope he'd prove me wrong if he was in the blue of Everton! As long as he's at the tin mine, he can be as shit as he likes.