November 19, 2017, 03:33:54 AM

Author Topic: Pablo Aimar linked  (Read 4653 times)

May 28, 2010, 10:10:01 PM
Read 4653 times

.Rimbo.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Euro-Spy-transfer-news-Everton-lining-up-move-for-Benfica-Argentinean-ace-Pablo-Aimar-article440821.html

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Everton-considering-bid-for-Pablo-Aimar/7993/

http://abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=207544

deCoubertin

May 28, 2010, 10:14:02 PM
Reply #1

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Very good player although at 30 he is only a short term fix.  Would imagine that makes him affordable though.

May 28, 2010, 10:19:50 PM
Reply #2

.Rimbo.

Whenever I've seen him play down the years he's always played in the middle.

Honestly, if we're going to persist with right backs who don't bomb on consistently, we're going to have to get wingers in.

May 28, 2010, 10:21:43 PM
Reply #3

rozzie22

"and at 30-years-old, he may just fancy one last shot at the big time"
a bit disrespectful to Benfica imo
they are a impressive side and a CL team next season.

May 28, 2010, 10:22:44 PM
Reply #4

Silas

NSNO Subscriber

Honestly, if we're going to persist with right backs who don't bomb on consistently, we're going to have to get wingers in.

Yes, tbh it looks less and less like Moyes wants a winger with some of the players he is looking at.  I have a terrible feeling next season will see Bily/Anichebe and Arteta playing the flanks.  As good as our midfield is on paper if he doesn't get a winger and Pienaar goes we will have some of the narrowest play in the league.

May 28, 2010, 10:25:24 PM
Reply #5

.Rimbo.

Yes, tbh it looks less and less like Moyes wants a winger with some of the players he is looking at.  I have a terrible feeling next season will see Bily/Anichebe and Arteta playing the flanks.  As good as our midfield is on paper if he doesn't get a winger and Pienaar goes we will have some of the narrowest play in the league.

And that's why we get draws against the likes of Stoke, Wolves, Birmingham etc. at home.

When teams come and sit against us at Goodison we find it very hard to stretch them.

May 28, 2010, 10:27:08 PM
Reply #6

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
And that's why we get draws against the likes of Stoke, Wolves, Birmingham etc. at home.

When teams come and sit against us at Goodison we find it very hard to stretch them.

Yep, massively overreliant on Baines to provide width.  A winger this season (or at the very least keeping Pienaar) could well be the difference between top 8 or something much better.

May 28, 2010, 10:29:57 PM
Reply #7

everton-4-ever

cracking player a few years back

a stop gap due to his age
do to the man as the man would to you but do it first!!

May 28, 2010, 10:30:27 PM
Reply #8

ToxtethBlue

He does, but he's played outwide before in his career. If Pienaar is to leave then I think we should be looking for a similar player, more of a playmaker so to speak. I agree that we need a more natural wide man on one wing but there is still a place for wide players players like Pienaar and Modric in the game.
ToxtethBlue

May 28, 2010, 10:38:46 PM
Reply #9

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He does, but he's played outwide before in his career. If Pienaar is to leave then I think we should be looking for a similar player, more of a playmaker so to speak. I agree that we need a more natural wide man on one wing but there is still a place for wide players players like Pienaar and Modric in the game.

This.

We need a wide man, but not at the expense of a play maker.

If Pienaar goes, then we need a similar play first and foremost.

May 28, 2010, 10:43:36 PM
Reply #10

.Rimbo.

This.

We need a wide man, but not at the expense of a play maker.

If Pienaar goes, then we need a similar play first and foremost.

I think that'd be fair enough so long as we had width on the other side. If he's going to play Bilyaletdinov or Anichebe there though, neither of whom hug the line, then I think that'd be a major step sideways (if you can have such a thing).

We may as well use this Pienaar exit (and let's be honest, it's pretty much all but signed, sealed, delivered) to re-evaluate and re-engineer the team. As I've said, I'd like us to have a younger, hungrier, quicker, more athletic squad and I think we could be equally as creative if we brought in one or two wingers instead of one playmaker and putting him on the wing.

I'd like to see us have pace like Villa have, from both sides of the pitch, which would enable us to stretch teams and hit them on the break. The only difference being we could also change our style and play a different way to them, and would also have better players in the middle of the park.

May 28, 2010, 10:52:13 PM
Reply #11

ToxtethBlue

I think Tottenham have the best balance, Modric tucking in and creating with Lennon giving them pace and width on the other side. I think it's something we should be looking to replicate.

I don't want to see us playing like Villa, we are a better footballing side than they are.
ToxtethBlue

May 28, 2010, 10:56:43 PM
Reply #12

cantoffee

I think Tottenham have the best balance, Modric tucking in and creating with Lennon giving them pace and width on the other side. I think it's something we should be looking to replicate.

I don't want to see us playing like Villa, we are a better footballing side than they are.

This. What Tottenham have is great and works wonders, and it would allow Baines to continue to overlap as much as he likes to so we'd still have width on that left side along with a creative spark.

May 28, 2010, 10:58:39 PM
Reply #13

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I know what you mean.

And I agree with the younger players bit and the pace. But I think well have to go along the route of sellind 2 players and buying 3 with the money.

Part of the reason that we're a much better footballing side than Villa , is that we've got 2 focal points for creating attacks. Having 2 wingers would reduce the amount of controlling players we have in the team and therefore our possession.

For our football to carry on improving we need a Pienaar type player and then someone to balance the other side.

Our front 5 is probably going to be Arteta, Cahill, Victor, Saha and ????. Wingers tend to be involved at the death of a move, as in part of the final creation. That would mean 4 of the 5 would have their main interest in the latter stage of the attack.

That's too unbalanced. It's all on Arteta.

With another playmaker it's spread out and therefore we can blend the attacks much more effectively.

May 28, 2010, 11:35:11 PM
Reply #14

bloody scally

Better be a cheap bid for a 30 year old. He could prove to be a great signing.