October 20, 2018, 02:26:38 AM

Author Topic: General transfer window discussion  (Read 170828 times)

June 28, 2016, 05:08:38 AM
Reply #900

fubarruk

To be honest the 'major' 100m warchest is seeming less and less of a major statement from the new owner if it turns out every premier league club is going to be spending serious money this year.

If clubs like Palace can go out and seemingly spend 50M of TV money on 2 players then 100M suddenly doesn't seem as much as it did initially...

June 28, 2016, 05:43:31 AM
Reply #901

Cozzie

To be honest the 'major' 100m warchest is seeming less and less of a major statement from the new owner if it turns out every premier league club is going to be spending serious money this year.

If clubs like Palace can go out and seemingly spend 50M of TV money on 2 players then 100M suddenly doesn't seem as much as it did initially...

Possibly true, but the bottom line is always HOW you spend your money, not how much you have got.

June 28, 2016, 05:46:02 AM
Reply #902

Cozzie

Plus, I can only presume the 100M is the money Moshiri is investing himself. Of his own money.

You would like to think on top of that we will also have money we have earned through our own commercial revenue, sponsorship, gate receipts etc.

We spent 28M on Lukaku before Moshiri invested, no one knows exactly how much we have to spend, 100M could just be a ball park figure, I don't believe it will be bang on EXACTLY that.

The mot important thing is you would like to think it would give us more of an edge.

June 28, 2016, 06:29:47 AM
Reply #903

Ross

Just like Koeman will for us Pardew is bound to attract players on his previous playing reputation...

....or maybe they'll always chase the money?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

June 28, 2016, 06:32:32 AM
Reply #904

Ross

Plus, I can only presume the 100M is the money Moshiri is investing himself. Of his own money.

You would like to think on top of that we will also have money we have earned through our own commercial revenue, sponsorship, gate receipts etc.

We spent 28M on Lukaku before Moshiri invested, no one knows exactly how much we have to spend, 100M could just be a ball park figure, I don't believe it will be bang on EXACTLY that.

The mot important thing is you would like to think it would give us more of an edge.

Cozzie he's never going to give up a 1/10 of his wealth for Everton to buy football players this summer.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

June 28, 2016, 12:43:08 PM
Reply #905

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

We spent 28m on Lukaku after selling Fellaini for 28m.

If we can spend 100m and everyone else can only spend 50m then to me that's still pretty damn good.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:44:01 PM by Goaljira »
My momma says I'm special.

June 28, 2016, 01:36:30 PM
Reply #906

fubarruk

We spent 28m on Lukaku after selling Fellaini for 28m.

If we can spend 100m and everyone else can only spend 50m then to me that's still pretty damn good.
But that won't be the case. Early indications are nothing teams like Palace may have 50m to spend, the bigger clubs will spend more.

At this rate 100m may be the standard spend this summer, we've already seen inflated prices being banded about, it's really not going to get you that much. A decent GK, CB and LM, taking into account wages etc and it's all gone..

June 28, 2016, 01:46:46 PM
Reply #907

Bluedylan

But that won't be the case. Early indications are nothing teams like Palace may have 50m to spend, the bigger clubs will spend more.

At this rate 100m may be the standard spend this summer, we've already seen inflated prices being banded about, it's really not going to get you that much. A decent GK, CB and LM, taking into account wages etc and it's all gone..

I think it varies from club to club. 'Smaller' teams like Palace do now seemingly have the money to speculate on a big transfer (although I don't see them getting Batshuayi still) like this, because of the TV deal. Palace have been after a striker for a while, so this is them putting all their eggs in one basket.

But then I've got a good mate who's a Spurs fan, for example, who follows everything they do very closely and he says they won't have much to spend this season, because they're focusing on the new stadium.

Like I say, it will vary from club to club, but 100m is still a large amount of money (massive for us) and if you can spend it wisely, there are still bargains to be had all over Europe.

At this point, we're all guessing really because we don't quite know the extent of our ambition.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

June 28, 2016, 02:05:44 PM
Reply #908

fubarruk

I think it varies from club to club. 'Smaller' teams like Palace do now seemingly have the money to speculate on a big transfer (although I don't see them getting Batshuayi still) like this, because of the TV deal. Palace have been after a striker for a while, so this is them putting all their eggs in one basket.

But then I've got a good mate who's a Spurs fan, for example, who follows everything they do very closely and he says they won't have much to spend this season, because they're focusing on the new stadium.

Like I say, it will vary from club to club, but 100m is still a large amount of money (massive for us) and if you can spend it wisely, there are still bargains to be had all over Europe.

At this point, we're all guessing really because we don't quite know the extent of our ambition.
I think Spurs could be the exception this season, much the same as Arsenal a few years back, it's understandable that stadiums need to be paid for (unless you're West Ham)

However it's very possible that with all the TV money, 50m could be the average spend across the 'smaller' teams, and it's not going to get you as much as it did even as recently as last summer. I've seen a report this morning that Palace want 11m from Fulham for Dwight fucking Gayle..

I just think we may need to reign in our expectations of what this 100m will get us. Those hoping for maybe a GK, backup CB/RB,CM a LW and another striker, when reality is it's not going to stretch that far.

June 28, 2016, 02:38:14 PM
Reply #909

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I think Spurs could be the exception this season, much the same as Arsenal a few years back, it's understandable that stadiums need to be paid for (unless you're West Ham)

However it's very possible that with all the TV money, 50m could be the average spend across the 'smaller' teams, and it's not going to get you as much as it did even as recently as last summer. I've seen a report this morning that Palace want 11m from Fulham for Dwight fucking Gayle..

I just think we may need to reign in our expectations of what this 100m will get us.
Those hoping for maybe a GK, backup CB/RB,CM a LW and another striker, when reality is it's not going to stretch that far.

You might need to reign in your expectations on what it will get, but I don't.  I've been saying for ages this summer is going to make peoples eyes water.  I had no expectations of it revamping the squad, just plugging the holes that need filling[Which aren't too many].

June 28, 2016, 03:13:34 PM
Reply #910

fubarruk

You might need to reign in your expectations on what it will get, but I don't.  I've been saying for ages this summer is going to make peoples eyes water.  I had no expectations of it revamping the squad, just plugging the holes that need filling[Which aren't too many].
So what are you expecting?

June 28, 2016, 03:31:44 PM
Reply #911

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

June 28, 2016, 03:35:26 PM
Reply #912

Bluedylan

Agreed.

I don't think we need an insane overhaul either. Manage our existing players better than the previous fella did is the first thing. That would get us a few places up the league on it's own. Bring a few of the young'uns on to fill gaps in the squad from older players that have left.

And then spend the 100m or whatever or 3 or 4 quality players to take our team/squad up a level, and there should be every chance that we can get somewhere around the European places.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

June 28, 2016, 03:40:27 PM
Reply #913

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Agreed.

I don't think we need an insane overhaul either. Manage our existing players better than the previous fella did is the first thing. That would get us a few places up the league on it's own. Bring a few of the young'uns on to fill gaps in the squad from older players that have left.

And then spend the 100m or whatever or 3 or 4 quality players to take our team/squad up a level, and there should be every chance that we can get somewhere around the European places.

This.  What I want us to bring in would be supplemented by the sale of a couple of fringe players[Oviedo, Kone/Niasse, One of McCarthy/Besic/Cleverely] who with better players coming in ahead of them would be pushed even further from the starting lineup.  Then like you say use the promising kids when injuries/suspensions dictate it.

June 28, 2016, 06:53:16 PM
Reply #914

hill135

Hulk to China for 47.5m. Joining Sven GE's side.

I don't Europe needs to worry about China's footballing advances just yet lolol