October 20, 2018, 05:17:02 PM

Author Topic: General transfer window discussion  (Read 170907 times)

December 21, 2016, 01:14:11 AM
Reply #1245

Major Clanger

They have over a billion people of their own. If they just target their own market, they can sustain themselves

With what? Tickets are dirt cheap, merchandise even more so and I can't see any Chinese commercial TV channel forking out billions either.

It's basically just a vanity project of the Chinese government, who pump enormous amounts of money into it. It will end on the exact day the Politbüro decides it doesn't really raise their profiles.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

December 21, 2016, 01:19:07 AM
Reply #1246

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
With what? Tickets are dirt cheap, merchandise even more so and I can't see any Chinese commercial TV channel forking out billions either.

It's basically just a vanity project of the Chinese government, who pump enormous amounts of money into it. It will end on the exact day the Politbüro decides it doesn't really raise their profiles.

So what if tickets are cheap. The viewership numbers are really good. China has a growing middle class that will spend more money on things like sport etc. Sport and especially football is how they are trying to entrench this notion. Sure they are spending huge money, Huge money they can afford to splurge. If anyone thought, the oil sheikhs were rich, they not going t come close to these state owned companies buying football clubs in China.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

December 21, 2016, 01:20:15 AM
Reply #1247

Bluedylan

Typical Eurocentric western view point. the Chinese model doesn't need to appeal to the west. They have over a billion people of their own. If they just target their own market, they can sustain themselves. thats before they start getting viewership figures from places like Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines etc etc.

Buying whichever Western player is willing to give up their career and take the wedge kind of does imply that they want to have an influence in the West. Also trying buying large stakes in big European clubs around various European leagues kind of backs that up.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll have the Premier League bosses quaking in their boots when they corner that all important Cambodian market.

You can't just buy your way to becoming a footballing powerhouse (imo). You need infrastructure and depth to it. Until they are able to produce their own star players, and build a proper football culture, I think it will still remain largely a novelty.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 01:23:23 AM by Bluedylan »
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

December 21, 2016, 01:34:36 AM
Reply #1248

Major Clanger

So what if tickets are cheap. The viewership numbers are really good.

Viewing is for free though.

December 21, 2016, 01:51:47 AM
Reply #1249

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Buying whichever Western player is willing to give up their career and take the wedge kind of does imply that they want to have an influence in the West. Also trying buying large stakes in big European clubs around various European leagues kind of backs that up.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll have the Premier League bosses quaking in their boots when they corner that all important Cambodian market.

You can't just buy your way to becoming a footballing powerhouse (imo). You need infrastructure and depth to it. Until they are able to produce their own star players, and build a proper football culture, I think it will still remain largely a novelty.

Only 4 foreign based players can play in a team at any point so it seems that's what they doing.

No one is worried if it affects western football owners. They doing it for themselves. The new rich like the best from the rest of the world. They buying up decent players to play and raise the profile and the quality.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

December 21, 2016, 01:52:32 AM
Reply #1250

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Viewing is for free though.

Should of said spectator numbers are high

December 21, 2016, 01:58:26 AM
Reply #1251

Major Clanger

Should of said spectator numbers are high

24000 per game on average? In a country of over a billion people?

(In comparison, Bundesliga 2 is about 20k per game.)

December 21, 2016, 03:08:28 AM
Reply #1252

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
24000 per game on average? In a country of over a billion people?

(In comparison, Bundesliga 2 is about 20k per game.)

In a country with a short history in the game, just starting out, smaller stadiums etc, that is really good.

December 21, 2016, 04:05:11 AM
Reply #1253

Major Clanger

In a country with a short history in the game, just starting out, smaller stadiums etc, that is really good.

Come on Con, you know I love you to bits, but trust me that this is just not happening for China. There's nothing Eurocentric about it, the numbers simply don't add up.

I don't know about the other clubs, but Guangzhou Evergrande, by far the most successful and best-known club, who have been winning the league for I don't know how many consecutive seasons, regularly struggle to sell out their 58000 seater stadium. Despite the fact it's absolutely top-notch and everything there is dirt cheap. (Burger for about 50p for example.)

And that's in a city more populous than Greater London. (Or, if we take the whole metropolitan area, Canada.)

At the same time they are paying about 20 million euros a year to Scolari.

They're never going to break even.

December 21, 2016, 04:08:58 AM
Reply #1254

Major Clanger

Sorry, Scolari earns only a few millions, they did pay Lippi 20m a year.

December 21, 2016, 04:13:17 AM
Reply #1255

Gash

Global Moderator
I forgot they had a load of over paid ageing managers there as well. Anyway, sorry I ever mentioned it, it was never meant to be an east v west thing, just an opinion from someone with a limited knowledge of Chinese football looking on from a distance.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:39:17 AM by Gash »

December 21, 2016, 04:15:23 AM
Reply #1256

Major Clanger

On the plus side though they have proper ultra groups with organised out-of-town brawls and everything. Though there's no clashing with the police for obvious reasons.

December 21, 2016, 04:21:31 AM
Reply #1257

Gash

Global Moderator
Anyway, in other bad news Joey Barton's back in the Premier League. Signed for Burnley until the end of the season.

December 21, 2016, 05:20:18 AM
Reply #1258

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Come on Con, you know I love you to bits, but trust me that this is just not happening for China. There's nothing Eurocentric about it, the numbers simply don't add up.

I don't know about the other clubs, but Guangzhou Evergrande, by far the most successful and best-known club, who have been winning the league for I don't know how many consecutive seasons, regularly struggle to sell out their 58000 seater stadium. Despite the fact it's absolutely top-notch and everything there is dirt cheap. (Burger for about 50p for example.)

And that's in a city more populous than Greater London. (Or, if we take the whole metropolitan area, Canada.)

At the same time they are paying about 20 million euros a year to Scolari.

They're never going to break even.

they not planning to anytime soon, they throwing money at the league to grow it and then make it commercial. it might fail but to think that we the target audience is laughable.

Most Prem league clubs won't sell out a 58 000 seater stadium. mac City don't and they have the best players. in the league and the best manager.  They trying to spend big to attract decent quality to improve the product they offering as well a simproving the quality of coaching, players and professionalism all around.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:22:01 AM by Confucius »

December 21, 2016, 05:33:23 AM
Reply #1259

Gash

Global Moderator
they not planning to anytime soon, they throwing money at the league to grow it and then make it commercial. it might fail but to think that we the target audience is laughable.

Most Prem league clubs won't sell out a 58 000 seater stadium. mac City don't and they have the best players. in the league and the best manager.  They trying to spend big to attract decent quality to improve the product they offering as well a simproving the quality of coaching, players and professionalism all around.

I'll just briefly chime back in and say that I didn't mention anything about targeting western audiences, you were the one that decided to make it a western thing. The main point I was trying to make though clearly didn't put it across very well was that in my opinion the Chinese massively overpaying on players like Tevez and Oscar etc wasn't going to effect other transfer markets due to the daft prices they were paying, there was no intention to try and be Eurocentric.