October 19, 2018, 03:07:13 PM

Author Topic: General transfer window discussion  (Read 170731 times)

September 02, 2015, 01:46:47 AM
Reply #721

Gash

Global Moderator
Holy fuck, Vadis Ofoe has gone to Rotherham on loan!?

Fucksake, can't even compete with Rotherham.

September 02, 2015, 02:34:50 AM
Reply #722

toffee_scot

West Brom don't seem to have much luck when it comes to managing wantaway players.

First Odemwingie and now Berahino.

September 02, 2015, 03:33:43 AM
Reply #723

hill135

Worst deadline day business? Chelsea. Two players no fucker has heard of.

September 02, 2015, 03:39:22 AM
Reply #724

The Analog Kid

Try tellin that to our beloved's in the Everton Forum!!

September 02, 2015, 06:51:04 AM
Reply #725

bluestevie

United for me, flogged Lindergaard, Hernandez and Januzaj yesterday, fucked up selling De Gea to Madrid then blew 36m on a 19 year old striker who will have a huge weight on his shoulders if Rooney gets a major injury between now and January
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

September 03, 2015, 05:17:04 PM
Reply #726

Optimistic Blue

United for me, flogged Lindergaard, Hernandez and Januzaj yesterday, fucked up selling De Gea to Madrid then blew 36m on a 19 year old striker who will have a huge weight on his shoulders if Rooney gets a major injury between now and January

Don't really get why everyone is cunting on United so much. Has anyone considerd this 19 year old might actually be good? It makes more sense having him as a back up rather than a Past it Van Persie, a misfiring Falcao and an average chicharito, at least this guy can possibly develop into something better. They have also got James Wilson who is highly rated.

The only thing about United is they didn't buy a centre back which they really needed x
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

September 03, 2015, 07:46:25 PM
Reply #727

hill135

Monaco president confirms the deal could rise to 57 million pounds.

Ludicrous.

September 04, 2015, 01:19:52 AM
Reply #728

wepull

Is it me or is there genuine lack of quality strikers these days?

September 04, 2015, 01:00:11 PM
Reply #729

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Is it me or is there genuine lack of quality strikers these days?

It certainly seems that way.

I think it's more to do with the move away from 2 or 3 genuine forwards being used.

If you play with only one up front their weaknesses, whether that's hold up play, lack of speed, not very good finishing etc are exposed.

They might fit a system, Marcus Bent for example, but they're not fantastic overall.

If you play 2 up front then if you get a good combination then they can mask each other's limitations etc. The classic big man/little man combo.

Even with players who were actually very good individually, say Bergkamp and Henry, are enhanced by what the other brings.

Now players are left alone a lot of the time so their game is exposed.

Someone like Austin scored a lot of goals but they needed to play Bobby Zamora next to him to get control of the ball.

If decent teams (Spurs?) want to play 1 up front, can they carry that? Probably not.

Hernandez is another example. 20 years ago he'd have been really sought after as someone would have played him with a big bugger who'd do all the stuff he doesn't/can't.

September 04, 2015, 04:54:15 PM
Reply #730

The Analog Kid

Monaco president confirms the deal could rise to 57 million pounds.

Ludicrous.

Overpriced. For that kinda money I'd want Dr Dre.

September 04, 2015, 09:59:16 PM
Reply #731

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
It certainly seems that way.

I think it's more to do with the move away from 2 or 3 genuine forwards being used.

If you play with only one up front their weaknesses, whether that's hold up play, lack of speed, not very good finishing etc are exposed.

They might fit a system, Marcus Bent for example, but they're not fantastic overall.

If you play 2 up front then if you get a good combination then they can mask each other's limitations etc. The classic big man/little man combo.

Even with players who were actually very good individually, say Bergkamp and Henry, are enhanced by what the other brings.

Now players are left alone a lot of the time so their game is exposed.

Someone like Austin scored a lot of goals but they needed to play Bobby Zamora next to him to get control of the ball.

If decent teams (Spurs?) want to play 1 up front, can they carry that? Probably not.

Hernandez is another example. 20 years ago he'd have been really sought after as someone would have played him with a big bugger who'd do all the stuff he doesn't/can't.

Do you think we'll ever see a shift back to two up top at some point?  Going back to having either full backs who just defend with wingers in front of them, or wide midfielders who work both ways, rather than the attacking full backs with what are effectively wide forwards nowadays that require more limited central midfielders?
My momma says I'm special.

September 04, 2015, 10:09:06 PM
Reply #732

Major Clanger

Imagine a Lineker or Butragueno nowadays. They'd have no chance.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

September 05, 2015, 03:53:50 AM
Reply #733

wepull

But isn't this 1 striker theory been in use for a long time now, I barely remember us playing with two strikers under Moyes too. If you take out Diego Costa, there are not many European strikers who can play as a lone striker up front from England, Spain, Germany or Italy.

May 07, 2016, 09:23:02 PM
Reply #734

hill135

Bumping this as it's nearly that time again.

Ben Arfa to Barcelona I see.