0 (0%)
Lennon (Sub)
0 (0%)
Barkley (Sub)
1 (1.5%)
Alcaraz (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Everton v Liverpool - Slippy G's Testimonial  (Read 29131 times)

February 05, 2015, 09:29:54 PM
Reply #15

bertcocaine

13 sendings off from us in recent years and a two in the same game in a few of them.

The two cards stat may be worrying, although two of those second reds were obtained by Phil Neville, and that was a particularly bad little spell, with 9 cards across 4 1/2 years and 7 of them ours.. but three games with two reds. Take that bizarre run doubles out of it and it's more balanced.

Worth noting is that in that period of 13 cards going back to '97, 9 have come at home. Liverpool's 8 in the same period include 3 at Goodison, so the home team gets the red more often than the away team, and it's particularly bad at Goodison. Even if you discount the doubles, it's still 6-3 against us at home.

However, Rodwell's card in 2011 was the last, and derbies have tended to actually have some football in them the last few years, which might account for the reduction in cards. In that bad card spell '03-'07, we were much more physical as a team, and particularly played that card against CL teams. Added to the fire of the derby and maybe it's not surprising we got so many then, and maybe not so likely to happen now.

Mentioned this in another thread, but only two likely players on Saturday have previous for derby reds, Gerrard and Lucas.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:38:11 PM by bertcocaine »
We do not know truth - we only know our opinions, and those of others

February 05, 2015, 09:44:02 PM
Reply #16

toffee_scot

Possible Line ups

Excellent write up as always, but you forgot to mention where the ref will be positioned in this lineup

February 05, 2015, 09:49:53 PM
Reply #17

Shogun

Administrator
Excellent write up as always, but you forgot to mention where the ref will be positioned in this lineup

The referee is behind Sterling on the right.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

February 05, 2015, 10:23:30 PM
Reply #18

kramer0

I'm curious to see how we approach this game tactically. We're all aware of how badly they can hurt us on the counter if we allow them the space; I wouldn't mind seeing the team sit a little bit deeper to stymie the Liverpool attack. If we set up like we did away at Newcastle last season, we can hurt them on the break; Mirallas, Lukaku, Barkley, and Lennon are well capable of shredding their back three.

February 05, 2015, 10:25:43 PM
Reply #19

GrantyBoy78

I'm waiting to hear back about a job I went for that would totally change my life, yet all I can think about is this game!

February 05, 2015, 10:38:13 PM
Reply #20

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I am a negative bastard and always think we are gonna get beat against these jerks

But I can't help but think Aaron Lennon will score a last minute winner on his debut and do some sort of 'Smile' celebration
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

February 05, 2015, 10:41:12 PM
Reply #21

Juanito

The two cards stat may be worrying, although two of those second reds were obtained by Phil Neville, and that was a particularly bad little spell, with 9 cards across 4 1/2 years and 7 of them ours.. but three games with two reds. Take that bizarre run doubles out of it and it's more balanced.

Worth noting is that in that period of 13 cards going back to '97, 9 have come at home. Liverpool's 8 in the same period include 3 at Goodison, so the home team gets the red more often than the away team, and it's particularly bad at Goodison. Even if you discount the doubles, it's still 6-3 against us at home.

However, Rodwell's card in 2011 was the last, and derbies have tended to actually have some football in them the last few years, which might account for the reduction in cards. In that bad card spell '03-'07, we were much more physical as a team, and particularly played that card against CL teams. Added to the fire of the derby and maybe it's not surprising we got so many then, and maybe not so likely to happen now.

Mentioned this in another thread, but only two likely players on Saturday have previous for derby reds, Gerrard and Lucas.

True. But we have Mo Besic!  or Mr Barry getting double yellow if he is slow off the mark.  I really think though if we can keep 11 on the field we can do these for a change. Not sure who I would rather start though, Barkley or Naismith behind Lukaku, if Lennon plays out on the wing with Mirallas. Barkley has been poor but I would imagine he would be fired up for this one and Naismith despite his vital goals, has not been great lately with his passing and composure when he has the ball.

February 05, 2015, 10:42:08 PM
Reply #22

Juanito

I'm waiting to hear back about a job I went for that would totally change my life, yet all I can think about is this game!

Good luck mate.

February 05, 2015, 10:46:29 PM
Reply #23

Juanito

Now we know McCarthy is back, I hope he goes 4-3-3 with Barry, Besic and McCarthy in the middle and Lukaku, Mirallas and Lennon up top.

February 05, 2015, 10:53:14 PM
Reply #24

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I am a negative bastard and always think we are gonna get beat against these jerks

But I can't help but think Aaron Lennon will score a last minute winner on his debut and do some sort of 'Smile' celebration
Haha I can see it, like the celebration in coach Carter!!!

Simply simply lovely

February 05, 2015, 10:54:08 PM
Reply #25

bertcocaine

True. But we have Mo Besic!  or Mr Barry getting double yellow if he is slow off the mark.  I really think though if we can keep 11 on the field we can do these for a change. Not sure who I would rather start though, Barkley or Naismith behind Lukaku, if Lennon plays out on the wing with Mirallas. Barkley has been poor but I would imagine he would be fired up for this one and Naismith despite his vital goals, has not been great lately with his passing and composure when he has the ball.

Yeah Mo is a bit of a risk. But in fairness he seems to manage very well with being hard but not getting punished. Barry I'm not too worried about. He will of course get his usual yellow, but he's very smart at knowing how far he can go, and taking a yellow for the team.

Now I've said that he'll get sent off, of course.  :whistle:
We do not know truth - we only know our opinions, and those of others

February 05, 2015, 11:31:42 PM
Reply #26

Cozzie

There is no way Mo Besic is lasting the 90 if he starts this game.

My only hope is if he is to get sent off, he does it in style and fully goes through Gerrard, or bites off both of Sturridges arms so he can't do that stupid dance.

February 05, 2015, 11:39:53 PM
Reply #27

MmmBlueRamirez

There is no way Mo Besic is lasting the 90 if he starts this game.

My only hope is if he is to get sent off, he does it in style and fully goes through Gerrard, or bites off both of Sturridges arms so he can't do that stupid dance.

Besic will play the full 90 if he can somehow get himself booked before kickoff.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

February 06, 2015, 01:07:37 AM
Reply #28

charlatan

Bobby has rubbished the injury recurrence and said that McCarthy will be in the squad ready for selection.

I've been told today that he's 3-5 weeks away, as he has fluid on his knee as well as his hamstring issue.  Guess we'll see how good that info is on saturday.

February 06, 2015, 01:25:03 AM
Reply #29

Evertonian in NC

I still have a strong bad feeling about McCarthy's availability.  Maybe he will be in the squad, but even if so, only as a decoy, and only because we lack real depth atm.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin