October 22, 2018, 11:43:38 PM

Author Topic: Olympic Stadium  (Read 18769 times)

February 15, 2015, 12:20:22 PM
Read 18769 times

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Leighton Baines wants to know if there'll still be an Ice Cream man outside.
My momma says I'm special.

June 22, 2015, 04:17:00 AM
Reply #1

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I fucking hate that they've ended up with this.  Spurs would have been no better though.

June 22, 2015, 04:24:37 AM
Reply #2

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
What I don't get is that how tied in to the 99 year lease are they?  In the NFL stadiums are modernised and rebuilt seemingly with around about a 20 year life expectancy.  I know it's different as the cities are vying to keep the franchises there, but it still seems a bit shitty to sign up to a non-football stadium for 99 years.

June 22, 2015, 05:06:19 AM
Reply #3

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah I appreciate it was good for athletics, I was referring to it as a monstrosity in footballing terms. One of the great things about the PL is that the crowd is so involved due to the proximity of the stands to the pitch...this will kill that. Never been to Upton Park but I imagine it can be intimidating (even still) for an opposition player...it'll be the easiest to play in now I imagine. Especially with bumper away allocations.

The way I feel about Upton Park is probably the same as any away fans coming to Goodison.  It's a shit ground with lots of tradition and history in an absolute shithole of an area that no longer suits the modern day 'vision' of a football stadium.

June 22, 2015, 07:00:57 PM
Reply #4

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I'm totally the opposite. I love going to Upton Park because it retains the atmosphere of a proper football ground. It absolutely pisses on any new ground that I have been to (including the Emirates).

Oh and btw I've spoken to fans of other teams who love Goodison. eg a Coventry fan who somehow ended up at the home game vs Arsenal last season who said it was one of the best "football days" of his life... I guess he knows what its like to lose your proper home due to owners with dubious motives.

You'll get an easy split of fans from other teams who appreciate 'classic' grounds.  Coventry fans will appreciate any ground as they're owners left them homeless.  City fans I know still pine for Maine Road, and appreciate the history of Goodison, but having tasted the 'niceties' of the Etihad are swayed.  You can appreciate and love things whilst still admitting that all things considered they're no longer optimal for their current use. 

Tottenham and Villa are the best examples I can think of for classic grounds that go most of the way to meeting modern requirements, but even Spurs are moving on.

I've literally sat behind a post at Leeds, and spent 2 hours convinced I was going to die in a fire at The Dell, but the absolute worst ground I've been to was the Olympic Stadium in Rome.  Its just not a football ground, and you get even less room per seat than at Goodison!

May 09, 2016, 06:34:29 PM
Reply #5

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

I wonder had they not had a good season what the numbers would have been like?

By the way I know everyone else has been fooled by thinking the current West Ham stadium is called the Boleyn ground

Well guess what?i didn't get the fucking memo!

It's always been called Upton Park and quite frankly that's what I'm gonna call the new stadium too

So how do you like those fucking apples?!

Maine Road, The Baseball Ground, Highbury, The Dell etc, when we play away against these teams that's where in my head we are playing them!

Some of those 'fucking apples' you're comparing are oranges though.  Where there's a physical location change I can rationalise it in my head, but these sponsored grounds changing names will stay as their first sponsor.  This romanticised change of West Ham's from Upton Park is bollocks though.  No one called it anything other than Upton Park for 20 years until a couple of years ago.

Bolton's ground is the Reebok, Wigan's is the JJB, Stoke's is The Britainnia no matter who owns the naming rights next season.  Arsenal's will always be The Emirates.

August 05, 2016, 02:35:06 PM
Reply #6

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

August 05, 2016, 09:26:58 PM
Reply #7

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

Halfway back in the upper tier on the side and behind the goal.

The things I do for you lot.  Having to listen to "Oim foweva blowing babbles...." to get these.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:28:53 PM by Goaljira »

September 11, 2016, 01:38:32 PM
Reply #8

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

January 31, 2017, 02:14:25 AM
Reply #9

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Karren Brady has today come out and said to the West Ham fans, that if you take your Payet shirt back, then you can buy another shirt for 25!!!
The money grabbing cunts!!

Does it have to be a West Ham one, or can they get a Spurs or Arsenal one instead?