October 23, 2018, 07:35:44 AM

Author Topic: Olympic Stadium  (Read 18775 times)

February 15, 2015, 04:40:35 PM
Read 18775 times

Simon Paul

Administrator
to be honest, when I went for the Olympics I thought it was a great stadium that could, if converted right, be a decent football stadium

I was sat quite near the back of the stands and while it was a bit of a struggle to make out individuals on the other side of the stadium, that was countered with big screens

if you're sat in a corner though, then you have no chance of seeing what's going on in the far corner without a telescope

the problem is in the rake of the stadium, it's too shallow which means you're too far away from the action at the back

also completely unsold on the roof.  we live in the UK and a canvas roof will rot quicker than Nick Cotton in a burnt out house.

the business side of it is what would bother me most if I were a West Ham fan though.  25 days a year is 19 Premier League games plus a maximum of six cup games.  Are they not planning on qualifying for Europe of playing more than three rounds of each cup then?  What about replays?  Could lead to all kinds of problems, as well as having very little investment into the site as a whole meaning they will always feel like tenants.

Sullivan and Gould will make a bomb on Upton Park's site though, so what do they care?  They'll sell the club as soon as they've valued Upton Park and moved out.

June 22, 2015, 04:31:12 AM
Reply #1

Simon Paul

Administrator
Spurs were going to do it properly and knock the monstrosity down, build a football stadium and pay for it themselves. West Ham can brag all they want though...they'll be contemplating building a football stadium before long. Like juventus and the Milan sides found out, a bigger stadium isn't better when you can't fill it. No way they'll ever be able to fill it for more than a game or two, even in the short term. They don't fill the Boleyn as it is.

it was boss in there during the athletics for the Olympics

wayyyyy too far from the action for a football match though

when the sprinters were warming up in the far corner of the stadium you could barely tell they were there

for 45 minutes you won't see your side attacking without the help of binoculars

August 22, 2016, 12:36:41 AM
Reply #2

Simon Paul

Administrator

it's not even finished!

August 23, 2016, 03:03:28 AM
Reply #3

Simon Paul

Administrator
there are huge gaps between upper and lower tiers, there are empty seats all over the place, you can't see the pitch from anywhere in the upper tiers, and they got had off by Bournemouth fans after the match due to the lack of stewards outside the away end