October 20, 2018, 11:47:46 PM

Author Topic: Olympic Stadium  (Read 18743 times)

August 07, 2015, 09:26:36 PM
Read 18743 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Aren't they constantly getting bailed out by the king of Spain as it's the team he supports?

No.

The biggest thing for them was that they sold their training ground to the council for something ridiculous like 300m.

An obviously over inflated price.

August 07, 2015, 09:27:12 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
That was at a time when 300m made a huge difference at that level.

August 07, 2015, 09:32:16 PM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Apparently the deal is scandalous with WHU actually paying negative rent after me and you pay for the upkeep of the stadium etc. Apparently they could be in breach of some competition fairness rules because WHU are essentially being state funded.

If they're involved in a deal that isn't considered consistent with the market then they'll have breached the rules.

Of course it'll take a robust judiciary to go against the state when central government want someone in that stadium.

August 07, 2015, 11:56:31 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Even if they did get charged with breaching the rules it's one of them things that's probably get quashed on appeal.

It's a real offence though, not just some arbitrary footballing one. If they got done for it, it'd probably stick.

Just getting them done in the first place would be difficult I'd imagine.

September 16, 2015, 01:13:01 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I know it was a few years ago, but it's mental when you see the cost of the likes of Wembley and the Olympic Stadium yet they managed to build the Millennium Stadium for about 120m. And that includes a retractable roof.

I'm sure on a pro rata basis Juve's new stadium was very cheap compared to Wembley/the OS and that was built to be energy efficient etc so wasn't dumbed down on spec.

August 05, 2016, 05:41:36 PM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Particularly from somewhere like Upton Park, which was a proper old school stadium.

Although the stands were actually that close to the pitch after the redevelopment but I know what you mean.

August 05, 2016, 05:42:52 PM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Too far away from the pitch. I'd be gutted if we moved into that.

The arguments about the temporary seating covering some of the running track ignore the fact that the top tier is still as far away from the pitch as that hasn't moved.

If you're at the back of that it'll be some way from the far side of the pitch.

September 13, 2016, 10:52:20 PM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
This seems to be a bizarre situation.

Seemingly in their rush to get anyone through the turnstiles with cheap family tickets etc. That they've just plonked people anywhere or that they didn't make too much effort to designate parts of the ground as equivalents of their old ground.