6 (9.5%)
Kone (Sub)
0 (0%)
Besic (Sub)
0 (0%)
Osman (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Everton v Young Boys  (Read 20357 times)

February 24, 2015, 10:15:19 PM
Read 20357 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton FC v BSC Young Boys
Goodison Park
Thursday 26th February 20:05
Europa League Last 32 Leg 2

Young Boys - Last Five Matches

Young Boys 2-0 Sparta Prague - Europa League (Hoarau Pen, Steffen)
Luzern 1-1 Young Boys (Vilotic)
Young Boys 4-2 Grasshoppers (Hoarau x2, Kubo, Steffen)
Young Boys 1-4 Everton (Hoarau)
Young Boys 4-2 Basel (Gerndt x2, Gajic, Hoarau)

Everton - Last Five Matches

Crystal Palace 0-1 Everton (Lukaku)
Everton 0-0 Liverpool
Chelsea 1-0 Everton
Young Boys 1-4 Everton - Europa League (Lukaku x3, Coleman)
Everton 2-2 Leicester (Naismith, O.G)

Everton

Everton all but confirmed their place in the last 16 of the Europa League with a comprehensive 4-1 victory in Bern last Thursday. Romelu Lukaku scored his first Everton hat trick in the previous leg which was the second of his career after scoring a hat trick against Manchester United whilst playing for West Brom. Lukaku is now Everton's joint third highest scorer in European Competition, one goal behind Andy Gray (5) and a couple of goals behind top scorer, Fred Pickering (6). Lukaku score the 11th hat trick of the competition this year and the first of the knock out stage.

Everton recorded the second largest win of the first round ties, only outshone by Napoli who won their match by four goals to nil.  Only Ajax, Liverpool and Zenit St Petersburg recorded victory from the 8 teams that dropped down from the Champions League whilst Olympiakos (2-0 v Dnipro) and Sporting Lisbon (2-0 Wolfsburg) both lost without an away goal in their first Europa League matches this season. In the 8 matches where a group winner faced a group runner up, there were 3 wins recorded for either side and a couple of draws. Guingamp were the lowest ranked side in the tournament to record victory with a 2-1 home win against 9 man Dynamo Kyiv who had two players sent off.

Possible Line ups

Young Boys

Young Boys were handed their heaviest ever home defeat in the UEFA Cup/Europa League with a 4-1 defeat in the home leg. Young Boys' biggest away win in the competition came in a 3-0 win against FC Midtjylland in the 2012-13 edition of the tournament during the play off round, a scoreline which would still see them exit the competition if repeated on Thursday. However, their biggest away defeat in the competition came in the second qualifying round in 2007 with a 5-1 defeat to RC Lens after drawing the first leg 1-1. Guillaume Hoarau is the second highest scorer in the competition this season with 6 goals, Red Bull Salzburg's Alan leads the way with 8 goals.

No club has come back from a 1st leg deficit of three goals since the advent of the Europa League in 09-10 with Fulham's comeback against Juventus being the most famous since the change of format. Middlesbrough produced two famous comebacks in the UEFA Cup in the 2005-06 season after going down 1-0 at home in the second leg against Basel to win 4-1 and go through 4-3 on aggregate following a 2-0 defeat in Switzerland. In the Semi finals they went 2-0 down in the second leg at home (3-0 agg) and came back to win the match 4-0 thanks to a last minute Massimo Maccarone goal. BSC Young will need to score at least 4 goals to have a chance of progressing.

Statistics & Injuries

I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

February 25, 2015, 12:42:18 AM
Reply #1

Simon Paul

Administrator
bet Liverpool fans are fuming about being on ITV4

February 25, 2015, 12:48:30 AM
Reply #2

toffee_scot

I wonder what the chances are of ITV4 showing an interview with an Everton player before and after the Liverpool game.

February 25, 2015, 12:49:02 AM
Reply #3

The Analog Kid

Dunno yer know, I wouldn't wanna see my team get knocked out of another competition on prime tv.

February 25, 2015, 12:49:54 AM
Reply #4

The Analog Kid

The Young Boys badge looks like something some spotty 80's teen would sew onto their jeans or denim jacket.

February 25, 2015, 01:00:06 AM
Reply #5

Gash

Global Moderator
Can't imagine what was going through my head when we decided it would be a good idea to come down to this.  :eh:

February 25, 2015, 01:03:09 AM
Reply #6

Shogun

Administrator
Can't imagine what was going through my head when we decided it would be a good idea to come down to this.  :eh:

You could have done with a closer scoreline really.

Should still be a good turnout tough.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

February 25, 2015, 01:21:30 AM
Reply #7

Gash

Global Moderator
You could have done with a closer scoreline really.

Should still be a good turnout tough.

Yeah, the was kind of the plan when we ordered them. Not that I'm unhappy with the result obviously but we bought them on Wednesday thinking that if it was a close call tickets would sell quickly on Thursday and Friday. Had a look earlier and there's still a pretty good availability in most parts of the ground, I dare say we might get close to 30,000. Trying the Paddock but I'm wishing we'd gone for the Upper Bullens now as it looks like there's some decent seats still there and I prefer a higher view.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:22:46 AM by Gash »

February 25, 2015, 02:42:36 AM
Reply #8

Evertonian in NC

When is the draw for the next round?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 25, 2015, 02:45:32 AM
Reply #9

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
When is the draw for the next round?

friday i think at midday
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:46:36 AM by Lizz88 »
I have to return some videotapes.

February 25, 2015, 03:52:25 AM
Reply #10

Cozzie

Bit of a strange one this, don't know what to expect. The Leicester game kind of threw a spanner in the works, had we have won that, then seen these off in style on Thursday it would have built great momentum heading into a tough game against the arse.

Because of what happened sunday it's all gone a bit flat again, I kind of want a slightly weakened more experimental side, but not too weakened, knowing us, fucking this up somehow isn't beyond us, especially the way we have been this season.

February 25, 2015, 11:09:38 AM
Reply #11

BrotherEstapol

Have they installed the synthetic pitch at Goodison yet?

February 25, 2015, 01:02:39 PM
Reply #12

Bluedylan

Looking forward to the draw on Friday afternoon more than this game (especially after Sunday). Still really deflated about that tbh. This game's over already. Feel a bit for @Shogun having to write a detailed preview for this game.

Might be a good chance for some squad players to show what they've got, but let's be honest even if they play well, they won't be getting a chance in the league games. The manager has shown that if a player comes in and does well when we're rotating or when there's injuries, that they probably won't be given the chance to keep their spot. Must be difficult being a squad player for us at the moment, because barring a catastrophic injury to another player in your position, you're basically not getting a look in.

On a positive note, it's great that we're basically already through and can't wait for the draw for the next round and more European adventures.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

February 25, 2015, 01:37:08 PM
Reply #13

ally2

For me it's not all over yet. If we play a weakened team and mess this up then all hell will break loose so we should start strong and withdraw players as needed.

February 25, 2015, 02:05:03 PM
Reply #14

Bluedylan

Even 3-0 wouldn't be enough for them. They're not good enough to win 4-0 or 4-1 with pens or 5-1 or 6-2 etc at Goodison and we're not that bad.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:05:21 PM by Bluedylan »
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.