November 18, 2017, 10:28:18 AM

Author Topic: Stoke City v Everton  (Read 27598 times)

March 03, 2015, 04:30:13 AM
Read 27598 times

Shogun

Administrator

Stoke City v Everton FC
Britannia Stadium
Wednesday 4th March 19:45
Premier League Match #28

Stoke - Last Five Matches

Newcastle 1-1 Stoke (Crouch)
Stoke 1-4 Man City (Crouch)
Blackburn 4-1 Stoke (Crouch)
Aston Villa 1-2 Stoke (Diouf, Moses Pen)
Stoke 1-0 Hull (Crouch)

Everton - Last Five Matches

Chelsea 1-0 Everton
Young Boys 1-4 Everton - Europa League (Lukaku x3, Coleman)
Everton 2-2 Leicester (Naismith, O.G)
Everton 3-1 Young Boys - Europa League (Lukaku x 2, Mirallas)
Arsenal 2-0 Everton

Stoke City

Peter Crouch scored his fourth goal in five matches to record Stoke's 1-0 win against Hull at the weekend following their away victory against Aston Villa to win back to back matches for the second time this season. Stoke's last five defeats have come against the current top five teams in the Premier League, losing to Manchester City and Chelsea at home and suffering defeats away to Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal within their last 15 matches. Stoke City's 1-0 win at Goodison Park gives them the opportunity to do the double over Everton for the first time since the 1966/67 season when they followed up a 1-0 win away at Goodison Park with a 2-1 victory at home. Stoke look to finish above Everton in the league for the first time since 1980-81 when Stoke finished 11th and Everton finished 15th in the old first division.

One of the reasons why this match is an interesting match up is because of the stark contrast between the sides compared to last season. There has been a 29 point swing between the two clubs at this point this season compared to the same stage of last season and Stoke have opened up an 11 point gap in the Premier League this season. Interestingly, Liverpool and Arsenal have dropped the points after Everton yet have only dropped 1 place in the league each. Should Everton lose on Wednesday night they'll be 20 points worse off from the same stage last year.

Possible Line ups

Everton

Everton fell to a second successive away defeat with a 2-0 at the hands of Arsenal on Sunday, Everton's 11th defeat in 27 league games this season which is three more than they had in the entirety of last season. Everton haven't won in any of their last five matches at the Britannia stadium but have only lost on one occasion. Everton's current streak of eight matches without a draw away from home is the second longest in the premier league behind Queens Park Rangers (13), seven of which have resulted in defeats for the Toffees. Everton have conceded 14 goals and scored just four goals in their previous eight away matches and have only scored three goals in their previous five Premier League visits to Stoke.

Mark Hughes has a pretty impressive record against his Everton counterpart having won 12/21 points available and only losing once to a Roberto Martinez side. Mark Hughes has seen his side handed two penalties in the above matches and a red card in one of the fixture whilst Martinez was awarded his first penalty in this match up during a 1-1 draw in this fixture last season with Leighton Baines scoring an injury time penalty whilst Bojan scored the only goal in the match at Goodison Park this year from the spot. The only red card in matches between both matches came in the very first meeting between both managers with Pablo Zabaleta seeing red for Mark Hughes' Manchester City side.

Statistics & Injuries

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:30:54 AM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

March 03, 2015, 04:34:39 AM
Reply #1

blob

real biggy, this one. shudder...

(worrying about stoke. how pathetic is that)

(free transfer :))

March 03, 2015, 04:52:34 AM
Reply #2

Shogun

Administrator
real biggy, this one. shudder...

(worrying about stoke. how pathetic is that)

(free transfer :))

I'm supremely confident going into this one blob. I don't know why but I've got a very good feeling we're going to get a win here.

Maybe it's because you'd imagine Stoke won't sit back at home and therefore we should have too much for them unlike recent away matches at Chelsea and Arsenal where we've been in that situation.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

March 03, 2015, 02:02:29 PM
Reply #3

GrantyBoy78

Those stats at the top of Shoguns's piece are appalling! On paper Jonathan Walters is more affective than Lukaku. And to have Naismith and Barkley playing off the striker (I know they've been played wide, but still part of an advanced supporting 3, behind the striker) with 1 assist between them is our biggest problem. Really needs sorting.

March 03, 2015, 02:16:18 PM
Reply #4

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
The first of many draws on our route to premier league survival I reckon
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

March 03, 2015, 03:07:26 PM
Reply #5

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Those stats at the top of Shoguns's piece are appalling! On paper Jonathan Walters is more affective than Lukaku. And to have Naismith and Barkley playing off the striker (I know they've been played wide, but still part of an advanced supporting 3, behind the striker) with 1 assist between them is our biggest problem. Really needs sorting.

we need a schemer
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 03, 2015, 05:17:57 PM
Reply #6

Evertonian in NC

We will win because footy is weird, and because RM will convince the squad that it is, in fact, Thursday.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 03, 2015, 05:31:11 PM
Reply #7

Paddockoldie

I just live in hope for the sake of hoping it can only get better... I hope

March 03, 2015, 05:46:46 PM
Reply #8

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Howard
Coleman Stones Jags Garbutt
McCarthy Barry
Gibson
Lennon Lukaku Mirallas

feel a draw in my head, but the old ticker says 3-0 the blues.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 03, 2015, 06:01:03 PM
Reply #9

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Howard
Coleman Stones Jagielka Garbutt
Barry Gibson
Mccarthy
Lennon Mirallas
Lukaku

Edit - Almost exactly the same as @brap2

I have mccarthy as further forward as I think he would harrass and get amongst them better
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:02:18 PM by Jimmywhack »

Simply simply lovely

March 03, 2015, 06:17:37 PM
Reply #10

fez91

Howard
Coleman Stones Jags Garbutt
McCarthy Barry
Gibson
Lennon Lukaku Mirallas

feel a draw in my head, but the old ticker says 3-0 the blues.

I would like that team but with Besic replacing Barry or McCarthy.

Hopefully we will see Lennon and Mirallas starting but I imagine it will be the same old line-up with Naismith as one of the 'wide' players.

March 03, 2015, 06:40:54 PM
Reply #11

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
IMO no one should replace McCarthy

and as much as i like besic, i'm also worried about how long he takes on the ball, and i think those passes he attempts, gibson can pull off a bit better.

so maybe lose barry for gibson in a deep playmaking / possession carrying type role, and have gibson and mccarthy behind Barkley who plays a sort of free box-to-box role?

it's all gone very FIFA career mode in this post.

March 03, 2015, 06:43:04 PM
Reply #12

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Awful reading, that 17 point drop off compared to this point last season.

Can't be many others in recent history who have seen such a significant decline. United last season aside, I'm struggling to think of anyone else for whom the swing would be so big.

March 03, 2015, 06:48:53 PM
Reply #13

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber

I have mccarthy as further forward as I think he would harrass and get amongst them better

He cant pick a pass though, better having Gibson further forward
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:49:16 PM by Lizz88 »
I have to return some videotapes.

March 03, 2015, 07:28:31 PM
Reply #14

fez91

IMO no one should replace McCarthy

and as much as i like besic, i'm also worried about how long he takes on the ball, and i think those passes he attempts, gibson can pull off a bit better.

so maybe lose barry for gibson in a deep playmaking / possession carrying type role, and have gibson and mccarthy behind Barkley who plays a sort of free box-to-box role?

it's all gone very FIFA career mode in this post.

I agree about McCarthy but Martinez does not like to rest Barry.

I wouldn't play Barkley in this game as he seems to be knocked of confidence, I'd bring him back for the European game next week.

Lets just hope we play with 2 wide players and try and stretch Stoke's defence - I imagine they will sit back and make it very hard for us to break them down.