November 19, 2017, 02:52:03 PM

Author Topic: Everton v Dynamo Kyiv  (Read 20970 times)

March 13, 2015, 07:02:48 PM
Reply #495

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I find it hard to believe Martinez tells the players to just piss about with the ball and play slow, ponderous football with no intent of going forward.

There's no way that he wants them to be ponderous etc.

But I think it's reasonable to say that the way that he's sending the team out at present isn't helping them to not be ponderous.

The lack of width etc. reduces the passing options which then almost forces the man in possession to look for the safer pass which is usually sideways or backwards as the oppostion have less men there.

His comments when we do have better spells don't come about from something having been tweaked or tactically adjusted, more that the players have started to express themselves etc.

If I had to make a snap assessment I'd say that I think he bases too much on the players being positive without acknowledging that you need the underlying basics of shape both with and without the ball.

March 13, 2015, 07:07:01 PM
Reply #496

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Also, martinez clearly has a team talk in his locker

Well...

In the PL we've failed to win any of the last 22 games where we've failed to score in the first half. And also lost 13 (drawing the other 1) of that last 14 games where we were losing at half time.

Not exactly overwhelming evidence of him changing the patterns of games on a regular basis ;)