December 12, 2018, 01:25:03 PM

Author Topic: Summer 2015 Transfer Window rumour thread  (Read 573542 times)

September 02, 2015, 04:17:17 AM
Reply #5175

Rhys

September 02, 2015, 04:17:43 AM
Reply #5176

Tinga

September 02, 2015, 04:20:55 AM
Reply #5178

toffee_scot

Also, Martinez doesn't like to buy players in January as he "doesn't feel there is value".

That's not true, remember one January he did go out and buy McGe...

oh.

September 02, 2015, 04:25:00 AM
Reply #5179

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
My momma says I'm special.

September 02, 2015, 04:36:29 AM
Reply #5180

howard1334

We created two chances against Spurs, one from a mistake from their defender, one a cross from Oviedo. You don't think we need more creativity because that was hardly the only game in the last year when we were completely toothless?
Keep telling that to yourself. We don't do big deals in January and that 20 million will have disappeared by next summer.

Right on - we had 20 million and we failed to spend it on the position we have needed the most for two years now. Look back at my post history if you want to confirm, but I have never been one to get to down on the team, and even now I still want to see what Martinez can do with the team we had, but there is no ifs, ands, or buts about it, this was a horribly disappointing window.

September 02, 2015, 04:38:44 AM
Reply #5181

toffee_scot

True, but if this type of player is highly important to how we play against teams that sit and defend against us then why has he had 5 transfer windows and not bought one yet?

It wasn't really an issue during the first 2 windows and during the 3rd transfer window our priority was a striker which we paid an astronomical sum for.

It probably started to become more an issue in the last 2 windows but it didn't sound like we had a lot of money to spend last January and only managed to get Lennon on loan. As for this window, like I said, I think Martinez had an idea of what he wanted to bring in but unfortunately the ideal targets were out of our price range and given our financial position, we were not in a position to put all our eggs in the No.10 basket while neglecting other areas in the team like defence.

We have strengthened the wings and I have been very pleasantly surprised with Cleverley and Barkley seems to be performing on the whole better than last season. Also as long as Deulofeu (who is Atsu's replacement) is given the opportunity to play more games and improve then I can see us be a bit more creative in attack while Lennon adds a different dimension and can even come up with a few goals.

So while it would be great to have a 'No 10' who can come up with so many assists and goals for the team, it is good to know we have a diverse range of attacking players like Deulofeu, Mirallas, Barkley, Lukaku, Naismith, Lennon, Pienaar (when fit) and Cleverley who are all very capable of creating goals or scoring goals so even if two or three of them are injured, there are always others who can continue to be an attacking threat.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:44:45 AM by toffee_scot »

September 02, 2015, 04:54:13 AM
Reply #5183

Paddockoldie

Continuity or status quo? We can't have either of these because it's the 'same as'... We need progress Bobby..

September 02, 2015, 05:18:37 AM
Reply #5184

Sixx1402

It wasn't really an issue during the first 2 windows and during the 3rd transfer window our priority was a striker which we paid an astronomical sum for.

It probably started to become more an issue in the last 2 windows but it didn't sound like we had a lot of money to spend last January and only managed to get Lennon on loan. As for this window, like I said, I think Martinez had an idea of what he wanted to bring in but unfortunately the ideal targets were out of our price range and given our financial position, we were not in a position to put all our eggs in the No.10 basket while neglecting other areas in the team like defence.

We have strengthened the wings and I have been very pleasantly surprised with Cleverley and Barkley seems to be performing on the whole better than last season. Also as long as Deulofeu (who is Atsu's replacement) is given the opportunity to play more games and improve then I can see us be a bit more creative in attack while Lennon adds a different dimension and can even come up with a few goals.

So while it would be great to have a 'No 10' who can come up with so many assists and goals for the team, it is good to know we have a diverse range of attacking players like Deulofeu, Mirallas, Barkley, Lukaku, Naismith, Lennon, Pienaar (when fit) and Cleverley who are all very capable of creating goals or scoring goals so even if two or three of them are injured, there are always others who can continue to be an attacking threat.

For me they don't really create much though. For me the main problem is having a hugely expensive striker up front who is constantly isolated. How many chances did we create for Lukaku against Spurs? How many against City? Against Watford even for gods sake!! I don't know how you can identify a playmaker as being needed at the end of last season and then fail miserably over the following 3 months. For that alone someone deserves the sack. We never play to Lukaku's strengths either. If you put that guy in on goal he scores 9 times out of 10. Yet we have him holding it up and battling for headers. Totally pointless. A playmaker would have rectified that and would have probably saved Roberto's job. Now i can see him being axed by November as we will be bottom half of the table. Why? Because we are toothless in attack most games and aren't solid enough in defence. At least a good playmaker would have sorted out the attacking part
Ahh.....Boucheenie i presume

September 02, 2015, 05:34:52 AM
Reply #5185

toffee_scot

For me they don't really create much though. For me the main problem is having a hugely expensive striker up front who is constantly isolated. How many chances did we create for Lukaku against Spurs? How many against City? Against Watford even for gods sake!! I don't know how you can identify a playmaker as being needed at the end of last season and then fail miserably over the following 3 months. For that alone someone deserves the sack. We never play to Lukaku's strengths either. If you put that guy in on goal he scores 9 times out of 10. Yet we have him holding it up and battling for headers. Totally pointless. A playmaker would have rectified that and would have probably saved Roberto's job. Now i can see him being axed by November as we will be bottom half of the table. Why? Because we are toothless in attack most games and aren't solid enough in defence. At least a good playmaker would have sorted out the attacking part

Then Martinez needs to adjust his tactics especially to make use of all these wingers that we've got in the team and I have a feeling that is exactly what he will do now that Lennon is here. As for Lukaku, I agree that we could get a lot more out of him particularly if we played more to his strengths, but 20 goals last season and 4 goals already this season is not bad for a player who is 'isolated'.

Again, while a playmaker would be great to have in the team, there is no guarantee that they would instantly improve things in Martinez's current setup. If we want to be a great team, we shouldn't be relying on one player to be the main source for our attacking success but rather a group of 3 or 4 individuals who work well together and all come up with their share of assists, passing vision and goals.

September 02, 2015, 05:37:52 AM
Reply #5186

The Analog Kid

Could be worse, could be Arsenal.

September 02, 2015, 05:39:20 AM
Reply #5187

Hawkandro

Christ I am pissed off at the moment.

Now we have 5 first team wingers, will RM actually start 2 of them at once, or will he persist with his notion of playing a CM on the left? Why have we ended up paying 90% more for Mori than originally agreed? We missed a clause in his contract? Isn't this something the club lawyers are supposed to pick up on before we agree the deal? Why did we not have more than one No.10 on our list? Ukranian clubs are supposed to be tough negotiators, yet we have not one back up option if the deal falls through? I'm sorry, that smacks of a phantom bid.

This window has been as bad as last season's pre-season was.

Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

September 02, 2015, 05:42:54 AM
Reply #5188

DanishEvertonfan

What do people expect Martinez to say? He has to put a positive face on this transfer window otherwise it would be considered disloyal to the board and directors. Martinez isn't in a position where he can demand specific transfers or the amount of funds for transfers, he's got to stay within budget.

September 02, 2015, 05:50:28 AM
Reply #5189

Sixx1402

Then Martinez needs to adjust his tactics especially to make use of all these wingers that we've got in the team and I have a feeling that is exactly what he will do now that Lennon is here. As for Lukaku, I agree that we could get a lot more out of him particularly if we played more to his strengths, but 20 goals last season and 4 goals already this season is not bad for a player who is 'isolated'.

Again, while a playmaker would be great to have in the team, there is no guarantee that they would instantly improve things in Martinez's current setup. If we want to be a great team, we shouldn't be relying on one player to be the main source for our attacking success but rather a group of 3 or 4 individuals who work well together and all come up with their share of assists, passing vision and goals.

Martinez won't 'adjust' his tactics until we go on a losing streak and the heat comes. He never has and he never will.

We had Lennon last season and he didn't adjust his tactics then so why now? It took an intervention by the players to do that.

Lukaku's 20 goals were in all competitions including a longish run in Europe. How many did he score in the Premier League? How many of those goals were penalties? 10 goals in 36 Premier League games isn't good, its nearly one in four. Austin scored 18 in 35 Premier League games for a team that was relegated. Doesn't look good does it?

Also that's generally what a 'playmaker' does. He makes play, he creates chances. Which is exactly what we need.

I'm not having a go at you mate but a lot of fans are very pissed off and underwhelmed at the quality of this transfer window and who can blame them?
I think we deserve the right to rant especially when the statistics are right in front of us.

For me its just not good enough. Rant over.
Ahh.....Boucheenie i presume