November 21, 2017, 06:20:36 PM

Author Topic: Funes Mori - The elephant in the room  (Read 5971 times)

September 02, 2015, 02:45:39 AM
Read 5971 times

.Rimbo.

So is Martinez going to drop the priceless Stones, the captain Jagielka or has he just paid almost 10 million for a substitute when there are areas of the first team that need strengthening?

E.g. we have a 'keeper who is declining (OMG did you not see him in that one game vs Spurs the other day) and is 37. We will now need to buy a new number 1 next year who, for our ambitions, will/should probably cost 10m+ and we do not have this much sought-after number 10.

Honestly, do not really get this signing. I have been asking for a CB for the last four or five years but this doesn't really make sense. I cannot see him changing the first choice back four. If he's cover, I would've preferred to just give the kids a chance and invest the 10m elsewhere, or look at cheaper options like...dare I say it...Lescott.

Do you think he will change the back four?

deCoubertin

September 02, 2015, 02:51:55 AM
Reply #1

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Be laughing next season, we will have loads of money from the footy deal and selling stones and lukaku

Total squad overhaul

Simply simply lovely

September 02, 2015, 02:53:04 AM
Reply #2

Tinga

It's nice to have another option but a number 10 and a striker are more important for me. Lukaku can't expect to live on the scraps that Osman/Naismith or Barkley can give him.

September 02, 2015, 02:53:49 AM
Reply #3

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Ohhh fuck off with the lescott shout. He's fucking shit now, it's 2015 not 2009. Get over it. He was good for us 6 years ago but hasn't done anything for 3 years now apart from decline.

Proper fucking awful shout up there with Micah Richards.

People moan about lack of ambition then want us to sign fucking crabs like those 2.

We needed a centre half desperately, did you see what happened last season without stones? It was a fucking disaster.

He needed to spend a decent amount on a good back up centre half so we don't have another Alcaraz in Kiev situation.

I'm excited about this lad. Very rare signing from martinez that's isnt a household name or someone he's perviously had.

He pulled Besic from nowhere last season and he's impressed so let's hope this lad has a similar impact.

September 02, 2015, 02:56:27 AM
Reply #4

everton1952

Elephant ? Does he mean McGeady? He is not all that fat.

September 02, 2015, 02:56:56 AM
Reply #5

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
No idea, nobody really knows how good he is. It's possible he could end up being great. I am not having all this won't get any games malarkey though, he will get enough game time with injuries, suspensions and cups for it to be worthwhile. It was a priority position, I am glad we have brought in someone that Martinez must rate highly.

Goalkeeper is a unique position, the number 1 tends to stay that way, Howard's still good enough for this season in my view. We will replace him next season so it's nothing to stress about right now.

The number 10 thing has totally baffled me, it's incredibly irritating.

September 02, 2015, 03:00:42 AM
Reply #6

Rhys

Also with the centre back jags is still fantastic but how long will he be at this level for? Impossible to say but part of the thinking will be if we somehow managed to keep stones long term then we need a replacement for jags at some point.

Or if we are resigned to losing stones next summer then hopefully mori has a good 12 months to settle in and we can know whether he is a capable replacement for stones and we need to buy another backup centre back or if we need to replace stones with someone more proven.

Either way we needed a centre back because without one we are relying on unproven kids which is no place to be. Mori at 5m was a gamble I'm sure most were ok with giving a go, at nearly 10m it changes things and we will have to see if Martinez judgment on this one is sound or not as right now pretty much none of us know either way.

September 02, 2015, 03:02:22 AM
Reply #7

.Rimbo.

Ohhh fuck off with the lescott shout. He's fucking shit now, it's 2015 not 2009. Get over it. He was good for us 6 years ago but hasn't done anything for 3 years now apart from decline.

Proper fucking awful shout up there with Micah Richards.

People moan about lack of ambition then want us to sign fucking crabs like those 2.

We needed a centre half desperately, did you see what happened last season without stones? It was a fucking disaster.

He needed to spend a decent amount on a good back up centre half so we don't have another Alcaraz in Kiev situation.

I'm excited about this lad. Very rare signing from martinez that's isnt a household name or someone he's perviously had.

He pulled Besic from nowhere last season and he's impressed so let's hope this lad has a similar impact.

Obviously, Lescott is not what he was and his knees have gone. What I am saying is he was 7.5 million cheaper (insofar as transfer fees) than this Funes Mori. That's why I said "dare I say it". Does not have to be Lescott, I just used him as an example of cheap cover we could have got, if that's what Funes Mori was.

And, by the way, you really do not have to tell me about last season and centre backs and Alcaraz and the like... http://www.nsno.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=45710.msg819415#msg819415

My main point here is can Everton afford to drop this much money on someone who is not straight into the first team?

September 02, 2015, 03:03:09 AM
Reply #8

Macca77

Can Mori play left back?

September 02, 2015, 03:03:39 AM
Reply #9

wepull

If Stones goes for the suggested 40 million next season, and if 10 million Mori is supposed to be his replacement, then it all makes sense that u give him time of about 1 year to settle in the squad.

September 02, 2015, 03:07:16 AM
Reply #10

MmmBlueRamirez

10m is a fuck load (in Everton terms) for a back up centreback..

Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

September 02, 2015, 03:07:56 AM
Reply #11

.Rimbo.

Also with the centre back jags is still fantastic but how long will he be at this level for? Impossible to say but part of the thinking will be if we somehow managed to keep stones long term then we need a replacement for jags at some point.

Or if we are resigned to losing stones next summer then hopefully mori has a good 12 months to settle in and we can know whether he is a capable replacement for stones and we need to buy another backup centre back or if we need to replace stones with someone more proven.

Either way we needed a centre back because without one we are relying on unproven kids which is no place to be. Mori at 5m was a gamble I'm sure most were ok with giving a go, at nearly 10m it changes things and we will have to see if Martinez judgment on this one is sound or not as right now pretty much none of us know either way.

Totally get this. This was what I was thinking, maybe as a long term replacement for Jagielka but I just don't know if it is wise for Everton to be spending significant amount of money on players more for the future.

I was thinking about this recently with Cleverley. For me, that signing baffled me because we have quite a number of central midfielders at the club; Barry, McCarthy, Barkley, Besic, Osman, Gibson etc. - people may say he was on a free but he wasn't. 50,000-a-week for five years is around 12.5m (this is without accounting for signing-on fees). He is certainly cheaper than buying a player from another club, but he isn't free.

I didn't think Cleverley was a priority either. My thinking now is that he is going to take the place of Osman/Barry next season (not entirely the same style of midfielder, granted). However, if Martinez wanted Cleverley as a replacement next season he would have to buy him off his new club. So he figured it would be cheaper to get him in now on a free instead.

Given how poor we were last season, I just do not know if we can afford to recruit players in this way.

Someone on Twitter is now talking about a back three, don't see that at all.

September 02, 2015, 03:08:09 AM
Reply #12

smellybum

My take on this is simply he will be our cup CB and the odd game here and there so he can see what the english game is all about. If he does well then he and Galloway replace Stones and Jags in the next season or 2. If he is pants we sell him. The price of average CB's is around 9-10m by the looks of it so we will more than likely not lose too much if we have to sell. For what could basically be a few million 's gamble we have took a low risk gamble. Also another way to look at it is if he is good and can take over from Stones then we will save a ton of money because once Stones goes all clubs will know we have a shit load of money and we will get quated silly figures for very average players. When Martinez signed it was all he knows the world market. So here we are 2 south Americans signed, lets see if he does know the market or is he just a blag job.
In all honesty as well next summer we sell Stones and Lukaku and maybe Mccarthy so should have 100m for a new squad should he need replacing.

September 02, 2015, 03:13:05 AM
Reply #13

velimski

September 02, 2015, 03:14:15 AM
Reply #14

School of Science

No idea, nobody really knows how good he is. It's possible he could end up being great. I am not having all this won't get any games malarkey though, he will get enough game time with injuries, suspensions and cups for it to be worthwhile. It was a priority position, I am glad we have brought in someone that Martinez must rate highly.

Goalkeeper is a unique position, the number 1 tends to stay that way, Howard's still good enough for this season in my view. We will replace him next season so it's nothing to stress about right now.

The number 10 thing has totally baffled me, it's incredibly irritating.

You have to have very good / excellent back ups at centre half, it is a key position. FFS even I have identified how weak we are at the back, in fact I shit myself every time we concede a corner ! One of Mori's strengths is that he is strong in the air, that's what we need. He will keep Jags and the rest on their toes.

Yes we do need a 10, hopefully after every fan we have got including me whinging, the club will listen and put this right in January. Goalkeeper after this season becomes v important as Howard aint getting any younger and Robles, does not inspire confidence.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15