November 24, 2017, 03:33:48 PM

Author Topic: Funes Mori - The elephant in the room  (Read 5978 times)

September 02, 2015, 03:15:04 AM
Reply #15

Heisenberg

Distin should have been kept for a season imo

deCoubertin

September 02, 2015, 03:20:46 AM
Reply #16

bluenuck

The kid will see plenty of time without Jags, or Stones missing a beat.

I don't understand how anyone can think we can go a whole season with 2 Centre backs playing every minute of every game. This whole thinking of who Mori will replace is, well, dumb. He's not going to replace anyone this season.

Also, Stones will be gone by this time next year. So we will need another one as well. Might as well get one in now.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:21:48 AM by bluenuck »

September 02, 2015, 03:21:15 AM
Reply #17

GrantyBoy78

10m is a fuck load (in Everton terms) for a back up centreback..

Think of him more as a future starter, rather than a back up.

September 02, 2015, 03:24:28 AM
Reply #18

.Rimbo.

Think of him more as a future starter, rather than a back up.

You're not the first person on this thread to allude to this.

I just feel every year Everton have little funds to work with so every year we really need to be making sure our first team is as competitive and strong as possible, then we can sort the bench and the future out.

We can sort the bench and the future out with low-risk, cheaper signings but we have just spent the majority of our transfer budget on someone who will not significantly improve the first team. I just do not think that is wise.

September 02, 2015, 03:28:27 AM
Reply #19

Major Clanger

I don't know anything about this guy, so I can't comment on that.

But getting in a young, left-footed central defender who will probably need some time getting used to the Premier League (which for defenders generally takes more time) makes perfect sense to me. Not only do we need a backup this season (for which he may already be adequate), we have to think about replacing Jags as he isn't getting any younger.

Whether he's worth the price tag or not, I haven't got a fucking clue but I suspect, neither has anyone else here. But as a move, it doesn't look bad and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out the real fee was closer to 5-6m. Clubs like to big up transfer fees paid when they're being accused of not investing into the playing squad.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:30:22 AM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

September 02, 2015, 03:35:26 AM
Reply #20

Fern

Ohhh fuck off with the lescott shout. He's fucking shit now, it's 2015 not 2009. Get over it. He was good for us 6 years ago but hasn't done anything for 3 years now apart from decline.

Proper fucking awful shout up there with Micah Richards.

People moan about lack of ambition then want us to sign fucking crabs like those 2.

We needed a centre half desperately, did you see what happened last season without stones? It was a fucking disaster.

He needed to spend a decent amount on a good back up centre half so we don't have another Alcaraz in Kiev situation.

I'm excited about this lad. Very rare signing from martinez that's isnt a household name or someone he's perviously had.

He pulled Besic from nowhere last season and he's impressed so let's hope this lad has a similar impact.

agree with most things you said apart from the Besic bit.

September 02, 2015, 03:51:23 AM
Reply #21

MmmBlueRamirez

agree with most things you said apart from the Besic bit.

Have you sacked off your ITK mate yet? Twice he's made you look like an arse.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

September 02, 2015, 04:12:12 AM
Reply #22

toffee_scot

So is Martinez going to drop the priceless Stones, the captain Jagielka or has he just paid almost 10 million for a substitute when there are areas of the first team that need strengthening?

It's very likely that Mori will be gradually introduced into games and learn to get up to speed with Premier League football, I think we could see him play quite a bit at left back at first until Baines comes back. He will certainly get other chances as Stones or Jags will at some point pick up injuries or suspensions and he might get a run out in the League Cup if we were to progress further.

E.g. we have a 'keeper who is declining (OMG did you not see him in that one game vs Spurs the other day) and is 37. We will now need to buy a new number 1 next year who, for our ambitions, will/should probably cost 10m+ and we do not have this much sought-after number 10.

A new long term quality goalkeeper would be very nice, but for the moment it is not an enormous priority. I am willing to back Howard and believe he will have a better season than last year, of course he will still concede some poor goals but he has the mentality to recover from those situations. As for Robles, I believe he is a player who needs consecutive games in order to build confidence and perform competently and this is what we saw last season when Howard was out injured. In fact, I felt very sorry for Robles the moment Howard was fit again he was dropped despite Howard's previous poor form.

Next season I expect Martinez to be at least considering the long term future of this position - as long as we don't end up in the same mess as Man Utd.

Honestly, do not really get this signing. I have been asking for a CB for the last four or five years but this doesn't really make sense. I cannot see him changing the first choice back four. If he's cover, I would've preferred to just give the kids a chance and invest the 10m elsewhere, or look at cheaper options like...dare I say it...Lescott.

Do you think he will change the back four?

I admit I am sceptical about whether Mori can make it in the Premier League and would have preferred van Dijk as a relatively safer option. Given the fee and the fact we are not the most blessed club financially, I expect that the fee will reflect the hope that Mori will - in the long term - eventually replace the 33 yr old Jagielka in the heart of defence. 

I don't expect Mori to feature much in central defence at the very beginning, but inevitably, there will be injuries to our more established defenders so he will certainly get his chance to play. The future of Stones is still uncertain so he might be a replacement for Stones, otherwise, Jagielka might gradually be phased out of being a regular in the starting XI and by the time this happens, Mori should hopefully be experienced enough at Premier League level and competent enough to play regularly at centre-back for the mid to long term future.

September 02, 2015, 04:15:27 AM
Reply #23

Tinga

Have you sacked off your ITK mate yet? Twice he's made you look like an arse.

Isn't the Fern bashing getting a little bit repetitive now?, the lad says anything and is immediately gunned down by everybody, including mods.

September 02, 2015, 04:27:53 AM
Reply #24

MmmBlueRamirez

Isn't the Fern bashing getting a little bit repetitive now?, the lad says anything and is immediately gunned down by everybody, including mods.
Meh, you make your bed you'd better be prepared to lie (sic) in it.

September 02, 2015, 04:36:04 AM
Reply #25

Major Clanger

Meh, you make your bed you'd better be prepared to lie (sic) in it.

Yeah, but for fucking forever?
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

September 02, 2015, 04:49:53 AM
Reply #26

blueski

personally I'd think Galloway is more likely to start games than Mori due to the need to adapt to the league, team, country, tactics manager, etc as would a makeshift solution such as barry or besic at CB

this might be different by December but IMO that's where we'd be at if there was an injury right now to either Jags or Stones
Nil Satis

September 02, 2015, 04:59:24 AM
Reply #27

MmmBlueRamirez

Yeah, but for fucking forever?

For someone so clever you struggle with the concept of time.

September 02, 2015, 04:24:34 PM
Reply #28

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Distin should have been kept for a season imo

can't get a game for bournemouth and was total shite when he played last year. love the man but he's finished.

yes we have spent some money, and I know evertonians like to act like every penny spent by the club is their very own pocket money (despite moaning about the lack of money spent only hours before) but let's have this conversation in a year or so's time shall we? this might turn out to be the best 9.5 mil we've ever spent, and in case you haven't noticed, 9.5m isn't worth as much as it once was.

we NEEDED a cb, no two ways about it, if we hadn't bought a cb able to come in and play then we would have been all over martinez for being blind to the needs of the team. he's gone and bought a strong, tall CB who has played at a good level, has a winners, fighting mentality and can score goals. Judge him when he's settled and played a few games, not before he's managed to unpack his fucking bags.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 02, 2015, 04:33:49 PM
Reply #29

Hawkandro

My only issue with Mori is due to the deal and not the player. I am intrigued as to how the 5m deal we negotiated managed to end up costing us 9.5m. The player himself, I am more than happy to give him 12 months to settle in and see how he fares.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.