November 20, 2017, 01:25:44 AM

Author Topic: Funes Mori - The elephant in the room  (Read 5963 times)

September 02, 2015, 04:42:34 PM
Reply #30

Lxxx

Why are people getting hung up about the cost of Mori, it's not my money so I'm not arsed how much he cost. We now have a 3rd centre back who can slot in when needed. Granted he may take a bit of time to get up to speed but at the moment we have two quality, fully fit centre halves with decent injury records.

deCoubertin

September 02, 2015, 04:55:09 PM
Reply #31

toffee_scot

Why are people getting hung up about the cost of Mori, it's not my money so I'm not arsed how much he cost. We now have a 3rd centre back who can slot in when needed. Granted he may take a bit of time to get up to speed but at the moment we have two quality, fully fit centre halves with decent injury records.

It's not every window that we spend more than 6m on one player and given a club of our finances, that is a significant sum. There is a concern that if we spend a significant amount of money on one player then we won't have the resources to pursue other important targets.

September 02, 2015, 05:18:14 PM
Reply #32

Trublue

I think it's the comments by Tim Vickery that have worried us? The River Plate fans seem gutted from twitter. He may be great and it will be him we're battling to keep next summer.

September 02, 2015, 05:23:33 PM
Reply #33

Bluedylan

I like Tim Vickery, but he's not God. It's his opinion and he's right and wrong about people like the rest of us. He might have more background knowledge and context for his opinions than us, but that's doesn't guarantee accuracy in the slightest.

I agree with the comment that said it feels like there's almost a slightly personal element to the comments re Martinez. Whether they've had discussions in the past or Vickery just doesn't rate Martinez, it does feel like there's slightly more to it.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

September 02, 2015, 05:28:55 PM
Reply #34

montanatoffeefan

...someone he's perviously had.

I hope to hell we never get the details on that encounter.
Everton forever.

September 02, 2015, 05:35:23 PM
Reply #35

Bluenose 91

Tim Vickery said Paulinho would be the next Bryan Robson so I'll hang fire on his judgement of Mori for now.

September 02, 2015, 05:35:27 PM
Reply #36

Alanvideo

...............because we were buying him for about 5.5m and suddenly had to pay 9.5m. It's a bit amateurish of our 'delegation ' not to find out about the true cost till after we'd been negotiating for a week or more. He could well be worth the higher price though ,he's playing for Argentina after all.
We are special ,we are Everton.

September 02, 2015, 05:44:37 PM
Reply #37

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Im happy with this signing. I seen an article yesterday from a journalist in Argentina really praising him and saying that now Balanta will take his place as first choice at River. So if hes able to keep Balanta out he must have something about him.
Martinez has always said he wanted a left footed CB after Distin left, this lad also apparently has plenty of pace (which we lack) and it seems like he can bag a few goals a season.
I think that in the next 12 months we could gradually see Jags playing less and less and we could see Mori step in. Very likely he will start against Reading.
paying 9.5m for a 24 year old international defender that has won nearly all competitions he has played in club football could prove to be a complete bargain.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

September 02, 2015, 05:51:20 PM
Reply #38

JordanianEmbassy

1) Its good to have competition for places.
2) Its good to have a back up. If Stones or Jags got injured and we hadn't signed another top quality centre back we'd be in trouble.
3) He can play left back.
4) We could now play three at the back. That would be an alternative to the 4-2-3-1 with 2 defensive mids, and would allow Barkley to have a go in the deeper role that alot of people want to see him in.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:51:52 PM by JordanianEmbassy »

September 02, 2015, 06:05:00 PM
Reply #39

Rodenplav64

Given that if Chelsea or City want Stones they will get him then it makes sense to have an adequate ( and I hope he is ) replacement in place and use to his team mates . Given we only had Alcaraz once Distin was sin binned and Stones got injured I would say it makes sense .

September 02, 2015, 07:14:18 PM
Reply #40

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Nothing like giving a player a chance, eh?
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

September 02, 2015, 11:45:21 PM
Reply #41

Major Clanger

My only issue with Mori is due to the deal and not the player. I am intrigued as to how the 5m deal we negotiated managed to end up costing us 9.5m. The player himself, I am more than happy to give him 12 months to settle in and see how he fares.

Like I said, take transfer fees reported by clubs with a pinch of salt, there's always an agenda behind it. The club must have been keen to show they're investing in the squad, so probably reported the highest fee they could without lying.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

September 02, 2015, 11:50:33 PM
Reply #42

velimski

Like I said, take transfer fees reported by clubs with a pinch of salt, there's always an agenda behind it. The club must have been keen to show they're investing in the squad, so probably reported the highest fee they could without lying

Potentially dangerous tactic to use if he turns out to be shit.

September 03, 2015, 12:14:43 AM
Reply #43

Major Clanger

Potentially dangerous tactic to use if he turns out to be shit.

Indeed but I wouldn't put it past them.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

September 03, 2015, 12:40:14 AM
Reply #44

Gray90

Jagielka isn't getting any younger so if he's good enough (no idea if he is or not) he could potentially be his long term replacement. We'll just have to wait and see. Let's give the lad a chance and hope he turns out to be a great piece of business.