September 19, 2018, 02:07:11 AM

Author Topic: Lukaku for sale - Fair price  (Read 30845 times)

October 29, 2015, 08:59:58 PM
Reply #45

kramer0

I can't see Rom leaving mid-season but, if our performances don't improve, I can see him leaving in the summer. I'm a big fan of his and would hate to see him go but I do love to speculate about transfers. Here goes nothing.

1. Michy Batshuayi (Marseille) - We've been linked before and he's been excellent both as a sub (last season) and as a starter (this season) for Marseille.

2. Charlie Austin (QPR) - He's already been mentioned here and rightfully so. He scored plenty in the PL last season and his underlying numbers (shots, conversion rate) suggest that his performance is sustainable. It's a bit surprising that he's still in the Championship.

3. Andrej Kramaric (Leicester) - He's had a hard time getting into Leicester's team so I'm sure this idea will be met with plenty of opposition but every time I've seen him, his movement, touch, vision, and ability to create space for a shot has been excellent. I think he could be a steal if we put a little faith in him. Chelsea were interested before he signed for Leicester.

4. Benik Afobe (Wolves) - Ex-Arsenal youth and probably the biggest wild card of the bunch. I haven't seen a lot of him outside of his excellent and opportunistic performance for MK Dons against Manchester United last season (United were shambolic at the back so it's hard to extrapolate too much from that game) but he's been scoring goals regularly in League One and the Championship and, if you believe in WhoScored stats (I'm not completely sure I do), he's a good passer as well.

Once again, I am pro-Lukaku and I don't think any of these players would necessarily improve on him. But we can replace some/most of his production (and pocket a little money) if he does decide to go.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:02:22 PM by kramer0 »

October 29, 2015, 09:41:10 PM
Reply #46

sirblue57

If a decent offer came in and we had somebody lined up then why not?
We just don't play to Rom's strengths. That is plain and simple to see so we need somebody who can play the role Martinez wants. So to keep Rom we either need to change tactics or Martinez needs to go. Upshot is I honestly think Rom will not be here next season. As for the Charlie Austin shouts, would we really be worse off with him? I don't think so, if anything he plays the role better than Rom. Now not saying Ausitn is a better player but he is better at what doing the job Martinez wants to see Rom do. £40m for Rom. Austin on a free (£5m singning bonus. Guesstimate) Frees up £35m for a playmaker and maybe another acquisition. Makes sense to me.

so your happy to get rid of a top quality striker, and replace him with a lesser player, to suit the manager? fuck that, get a manager who can actually get the best out of quality players.
I'm the "trophy husband" from the game my wife regrets playing.

October 29, 2015, 10:01:15 PM
Reply #47

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
so your happy to get rid of a top quality striker, and replace him with a lesser player, to suit the manager? fuck that, get a manager who can actually get the best out of quality players.

But in this case this manager has bought this striker.

It's not as though he's inherited him and there's not a natural fit.

October 29, 2015, 11:36:38 PM
Reply #48

smellybum

Not what I said. Read it back.

October 30, 2015, 05:11:54 AM
Reply #49

cantoffee

You could see clearly in the Arsenal game the big difference in difficulty playing for us vs playing for a team like Arsenal.

Every time the ball went up to Giroud, someone was within 5 yards of him. If he couldn't bring the ball down, he could at least try to knock it down or flick it on.

Every time it went up to Lukaku there was no support within 20 yards of him. It's ludicrous to expect any player to bring the ball down and hold it up consistently when he has 2 players draped all over him.

He has all the talent and we need to do a better job of supporting him. At the very least, if we can get more out of him his price tag will be closer to 50m.

October 30, 2015, 06:12:42 AM
Reply #50

Rhys

You could see clearly in the Arsenal game the big difference in difficulty playing for us vs playing for a team like Arsenal.

Every time the ball went up to Giroud, someone was within 5 yards of him. If he couldn't bring the ball down, he could at least try to knock it down or flick it on.

Every time it went up to Lukaku there was no support within 20 yards of him. It's ludicrous to expect any player to bring the ball down and hold it up consistently when he has 2 players draped all over him.

He has all the talent and we need to do a better job of supporting him. At the very least, if we can get more out of him his price tag will be closer to 50m.

Thats one of my big frustrations at the moment. We are trying to play out from the back but teams are stopping us. We arent moving it quickly and dont have enough options so there are times we play it long to rom, however we dont setup for that option with the rest of the team. When we did it with fellaini in 2012/13 the diagonal ball from Jags to his chest worked brilliantly, not just because felli could bring it down really well but because when the ball went to him he'd have the forward making runs in behind, he'd have pienaar coming for the lay off, who'd have baines going down the outside of him and someone like Ossie for instance in support to help the move as well.

No matter how good someone is at holding the ball up, and rom is hit and miss, they need as many options as they can quickly so they can release the ball and get the move going. Right now our options seem to be lacking and none more so than when the ball is going in to rom.

October 30, 2015, 08:24:34 AM
Reply #51

Jamokachi

Newspaper in "every  player has their price" shocker.

October 30, 2015, 12:18:29 PM
Reply #52

Alex6691

Shouts for Charlie Austin to replace Lukaku? I've heard it all.

October 30, 2015, 12:26:20 PM
Reply #53

Lxxx

Shouts for Charlie Austin to replace Lukaku? I've heard it all.

We might not have much choice.

October 30, 2015, 02:10:36 PM
Reply #54

dchans

How much would Giroud cost? Not that I am saying we would be anywhere near able to get him, just interested to see what his fair price would be!
Fancy your own online, part time business?  Just PM me for more details...

October 30, 2015, 02:16:53 PM
Reply #55

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
How much would Giroud cost? Not that I am saying we would be anywhere near able to get him, just interested to see what his fair price would be!
Add an extra £5m cos he is a good looking bastard
Simply simply lovely

October 30, 2015, 02:23:15 PM
Reply #56

TheTone

we'll go with what we've got  :whistle:

p.s. fuck off Giroud you prick

October 30, 2015, 02:36:19 PM
Reply #57

Bob Sacamano

We might not have much choice.

100% this. Look at how easily we bent over for Chelsea in the summer and gave Stones away for a pittance.

October 30, 2015, 03:02:07 PM
Reply #58

blue slug

I think what Lxxx means is that IF the everton hierarchy and Martinez have a verbal agreement in place to let him speak with champions league clubs if a fair offer of X amount is offered then we don't really have a choice

October 30, 2015, 03:11:49 PM
Reply #59

Bob Sacamano

I think what Lxxx means is that IF the everton hierarchy and Martinez have a verbal agreement in place to let him speak with champions league clubs if a fair offer of X amount is offered then we don't really have a choice

I'm pretty sure that means it is 100% our choice.