November 21, 2017, 03:19:58 AM

Author Topic: "I couldn't care less" if Blues concede first  (Read 4600 times)

October 30, 2015, 02:45:41 PM
Read 4600 times

BlueBeagle

From The Echo...
Roberto Martinez insists he "couldn't care less" if Everton concede the first goal of any game - just as long as they fight back to win.

The Blues have gone behind in nine of their 13 games this season but Martinez is not worried about their habit of shipping the opening goal.

Martinez believes his Everton side have the strength of character to bounce back from conceding first and says the only time they've not shown it was against Manchester United earlier this month.

And though the Blues boss says he would prefer not to have to continually chase games, seeing the opposition score the first goal doesn't worry him.

“It is something you don't want to do, clearly," Martinez said.

“I just felt against Manchester United, for one reason or another, we couldn't react as well as we wanted – even though in the second-half we created chances to get that reaction in the scoreline.

“Goals, as you know, change games but normally we don't seem to be deflated or effected too much when we have a disappointment on the pitch.

“That is a real positive.

"Obviously you want to win the football match and if we do that then I couldn't care less that we conceded the first goal."

Any thoughts? Seems an absolutely ludicrous statement and philosophy to me, how can you not care if you concede the first goal in games, even if you do go on and win them eventually?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:47:04 PM by BlueBeagle »

deCoubertin

October 30, 2015, 02:55:23 PM
Reply #1

Major Clanger

There's nothing wrong with the statement and philosophy as such, so long as (and this is important), you play highly effective counter-attacking football.

Like Leicester do, at least on their level.

In that case, conceding first is part of the risks you hope to balance out with energy and pace in the attacking third, particularly late on in the game when the opposition are tiring and/or complacent.

The problem is that we don't really do this.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:56:58 PM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 30, 2015, 02:59:08 PM
Reply #2

blue slug

Conceding the first goal and then playing dull, ponderous football isn't a recipe for success IMO

October 30, 2015, 03:02:24 PM
Reply #3

Bluedylan

He says 'you want to win the football match and if we do that then I couldn't care less that we conceded the first goal'.

In the context of the entire sentence, rather than just selectively picking out one part of it (as in your thread title), there's not the slightest problem with what he's said.

He also says earlier 'it's something you don't want to do, clearly'.

Wherever you stand in the debate, there are genuine reasons to have some concerns about Martinez, so I don't think we need to contrive any more by selectively picking out quotes, divorced of context, from a larger body of text.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 30, 2015, 03:13:27 PM
Reply #4

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
He says 'you want to win the football match and if we do that then I couldn't care less that we conceded the first goal'.

In the context of the entire sentence, rather than just selectively picking out one part of it (as in your thread title), there's not the slightest problem with what he's said.

He also says earlier 'it's something you don't want to do, clearly'.

Wherever you stand in the debate, there are genuine reasons to have some concerns about Martinez, so I don't think we need to contrive any more by selectively picking out quotes, divorced of context, from a larger body of text.

It's a terrible effort of stirring the pot.

October 30, 2015, 03:25:38 PM
Reply #5

TSGun

Unbelievable...selective perception at it's finest. There's enough of that in the world today, thank you.

October 30, 2015, 03:34:47 PM
Reply #6

Lxxx

Regardless of his thoughts on conceding the first goal he needs to work out a way of stopping us doing it, as we only seem to wake up and he only seems to put more than two attackers on the pitch when we're behind. It's not great to watch.

October 30, 2015, 03:40:07 PM
Reply #7

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
No wonder we've lost three games to the three worst sides in the league. Deluded clueless prick.

October 30, 2015, 03:57:26 PM
Reply #8

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber

October 30, 2015, 04:11:12 PM
Reply #9

Fern

No wonder we've lost three games to the three worst sides in the league. Deluded clueless prick.

No need to insult people, calm down.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:11:38 PM by Fern »

October 30, 2015, 04:18:45 PM
Reply #10

Lxxx

And breathe.....

October 30, 2015, 04:32:07 PM
Reply #11

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Not the OP guys, Martinez. Chill. People can't have hate for a guy with his dog as his avatar.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:38:23 PM by Bob Sacamano »

October 30, 2015, 04:44:56 PM
Reply #12

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber

haha :snigger:
I have to return some videotapes.

October 30, 2015, 04:50:08 PM
Reply #13

BlueBeagle

Unbelievable...selective perception at it's finest. There's enough of that in the world today, thank you.

It's the headline of the article on The Echo you prick, I have merely copied it.

October 30, 2015, 04:52:25 PM
Reply #14

BlueBeagle

It's a terrible effort of stirring the pot.

It's not though.

It's sharing an article found on a local news outlet, sharing my opinion and asking others what theirs are.