November 24, 2017, 12:47:56 AM

Author Topic: Everton v Tottenham  (Read 42979 times)

January 02, 2016, 10:44:35 AM
Read 42979 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton FC v Tottenham Hotspur
Goodison Park
Sunday 3rd January 16:00
Premier League Match #20

Everton's last 5 matches

Everton 1-1 Crystal Palace (Lukaku)
Norwich 1-1 Everton (Lukaku)
Everton 2-3 Leicester (Lukaku, Mirallas)
Newcastle 0-1 Everton (Cleverley)
Everton 3-4 Stoke (Lukaku x2, Deulofeu)

Tottenham's last 5 matches

Tottenham 4-1 Monaco - Europa League (Lamela x3, Carroll)
Tottenham 1-2 Newcastle (Dier)
Southampton 0-2 Tottenham (Kane, Alli)
Tottenham 3-0 Norwich (Kane, Kane Pen, Carroll
Watford 1-2 Tottenham (Lamela, Son)

Everton

Everton fell to their second consecutive home defeat last weekend with a 4-3 loss to Stoke City. The Toffees have now won just three of their previous 12 Premier League matches (D5, L4) and recent history suggests that this statistic will only continue to deteriorate as Everton haven't won any of their last six league meetings (D3, L3) against Tottenham. The one shining light for Everton has been going forward this season  as only Leicester City & Manchester City (37) have scored more than the Toffee's 35 goals this season and they're one of just two teams (Manchester City - 29) to have scored 20+ goals in home fixtures this season. However, Everton have conceded a league high 19 goals in just 10 league matches at Goodison Park this season and they have kept just one clean sheet in the process which is the joint lowest alongside Aston Villa. Everton and Villa are also the only sides yet to beat anyone in the top half of the table this season with Everton taking just five points from a possible 30 so far this season.

Romelu Lukaku's brace against Stoke City last Monday took him joint top of the scoring charts alongside Jamie Vardy in the Premier League. The Belgian has been on a hot-streak of late with 11 goals in his last 10 appearances for Everton in all competitions and he has also scored in each of his last five premier league matches at Goodison Park (7 goals). Meanwhile, Harry Kane has scored 11 goals in the league this season with two of those coming from the penalty spot. Kane's tally of 27 goals was the most scored in the Premier League by a single player in the whole of 2015 with Lukaku a distant joint 2nd place with 19 goals. Last season, 16 of Kane's 21 Premier League goals came after New Year's Day. Kane was also terrible at the 2013 Under 20 World Cup.

Possible Line-Ups

Tottenham

I don't have a butchered graphic on Spurs because it's been a hectic week so no apologies for that. Spurs made it three Premier League victories in a row as they snatched an injury time victory over Watford at Vicarage Road last week and they'll be looking for a fourth  consecutive Premier League win for the first time since January 2014 in this match. Tottenham have won their first fixture of the new calendar year in each of the last five seasons including victories over Chelsea and Manchester United in the two. They have lost just eight times in Premier League history against Everton and are on an unbeaten run of six matches in which they've kept a clean sheet against the Toffees in four of the last five meetings. Pochettino's side have lost just once on the road this season and that came on the opening day of the season against Manchester United, since then they've won four of their eight matches away from home.

Statistics & Injuries

I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 02, 2016, 12:04:12 PM
Reply #1

TSGun

I live in hope...and that's about all there is to say.

January 02, 2016, 12:34:45 PM
Reply #2

howard1334

I really thought Harry Kane was going to be a one season wonder. I guess I was wrong, but I do still feel like he is not now and will never be a truly top player. Probably just my own biases coming into play though....
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:39:39 PM by howard1334 »

January 02, 2016, 12:52:29 PM
Reply #3

TSGun

I really thought Harry Kane was going to be a one season wonder. I guess I was wrong, but I do still feel like he is not now and will never be a truly top player. Probably just my own biases coming into play though....

Well he's no Lukaku...

But seriously, he's pretty good. May be it takes a non-Englishman to see it?

That said, I think I know what you mean. There is the impression he's basically at his peak now with little room for improvement.

January 02, 2016, 01:02:10 PM
Reply #4

howard1334

Well he's no Lukaku...

But seriously, he's pretty good. May be it takes a non-Englishman to see it?

That said, I think I know what you mean. There is the impression he's basically at his peak now with little room for improvement.

Not English either but very prem-centric in my football viewing, so maybe that does play a part.

Another aspect might be that while people have criticized Lukaku for offering little more than goals when that is really not the case at all, it is  true for Kane to a greater extent? If you compare the number of assists they each get, Lukaku easily trumps.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:05:23 PM by howard1334 »

January 02, 2016, 01:21:16 PM
Reply #5

TSGun

Not English either but very prem-centric in my football viewing, so maybe that does play a part.

Another aspect might be that while people have criticized Lukaku for offering little more than goals when that is really not the case at all, it is  true for Kane to a greater extent? If you compare the number of assists they each get, Lukaku easily trumps.

Haha...fair enough.

I tend to agree with the direct comparison, although I believe do Kane is the more instinctive finisher of the two at this moment in time.

January 02, 2016, 03:20:19 PM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Superb reference to the 2013 u20 World Cup.

January 02, 2016, 04:44:10 PM
Reply #7

Alanvideo

Echo hinting that Robles might be in for this one. Believe it when I see it.
We are special ,we are Everton.

January 02, 2016, 04:50:01 PM
Reply #8

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

January 02, 2016, 05:06:23 PM
Reply #9

Shogun

Administrator
Superb reference to the 2013 u20 World Cup.

I'm very subtle.

January 02, 2016, 05:10:23 PM
Reply #10

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I'd love Gibson to get a game, but no doubt he's been hitting it hard over crimbo.

January 02, 2016, 05:30:20 PM
Reply #11

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Awesome. I'll miss this one as I'm going to see Star Wars instead.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

January 02, 2016, 05:31:11 PM
Reply #12

Shogun

Administrator
Awesome. I'll miss this one as I'm going to see Star Wars instead.

I don't think I've ever been less interested in an Everton match.

January 02, 2016, 05:45:02 PM
Reply #13

Lxxx

It would make sense for Robles to start, as opposed to throwing him in cold in the most important game of the season so far next up. 

January 02, 2016, 06:33:46 PM
Reply #14

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I'm very subtle.

Not many people will have watched that tournament, but it's like having been given a brief glimpse of the Truth!