September 17, 2019, 11:15:31 PM

Author Topic: Everton v Tottenham  (Read 68167 times)

January 04, 2016, 03:52:42 AM
Reply #585

charlatan

Now I will admit I don't rate Aaron Lennon - that's because I think he's a but of a journeyman (see thread a long time ago for a detailed discussion of the the meaning of this word) and is overall average.

How can he possibly be a journeyman when he's been at the same club for about 95% of his career? lolol

January 04, 2016, 03:54:40 AM
Reply #586

Bluesthedaddy

I know Howard has been criticised a lot, but thought he could of done better for the goal. In my opinion he dives to the floor facing left but doesn't actually go left, i think a more agile keeper may have got to that, that's my opinion.

January 04, 2016, 03:58:10 AM
Reply #587

ally2

How can he possibly be a journeyman when he's been at the same club for about 95% of his career? lolol

Hint - read the bit you quoted (the bit in brackets).

Edit - sorry the discussion was a long time ago but in summary was that the American version of the word did seem to mean someone who's been around for a while, BT necessarily going through lots of clubs, and that was the definition I must have had in my mind at the time even though I'm not American.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:01:20 AM by ally2 »

January 04, 2016, 03:59:39 AM
Reply #588

cantoffee

I know Howard has been criticised a lot, but thought he could of done better for the goal. In my opinion he dives to the floor facing left but doesn't actually go left, i think a more agile keeper may have got to that, that's my opinion.

It was a shot from 8 yards out, you really expect him to save that?

He was dodgy when the ball came in to the box but nowhere near at fault for the goal.

January 04, 2016, 04:10:34 AM
Reply #589

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
"Journeyman" originally meant a person who's learnt the tricks of the trade, finished apprenticeship, but is not yet a master. I think the phrase refers to his need to go on a journey and work with masters in faraway lands, rather than him having already done so.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

January 04, 2016, 04:11:08 AM
Reply #590

Gash

Global Moderator

It was never Howard's fault for that one. You can use the case that the ball should never have got that far anyway.

January 04, 2016, 04:16:56 AM
Reply #591

Bluesthedaddy

Maybe no keeper would of got to it, I was just implying he doesn't move left and agree the ball shouldn't of got there.

January 04, 2016, 04:34:50 AM
Reply #592

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
"Journeyman" originally meant a person who's learnt the tricks of the trade, finished apprenticeship, but is not yet a master. I think the phrase refers to his need to go on a journey and work with masters in faraway lands, rather than him having already done so.

Ah I remember that thread
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

January 04, 2016, 04:45:19 AM
Reply #593

Mayor Farnum

You're right! In fact he should have caught it.
Something clever written by someone else.

January 04, 2016, 04:48:08 AM
Reply #594

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
You're right! In fact he should have caught it.

And then sprinted up the other end with the ball, beating all Spurs players twice, before crossing to himself and setting himself up for an amazing overheaded volley goal from 60 yards out.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

January 04, 2016, 05:35:14 AM
Reply #595

Dirty Ticket

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum, if you don't know how to say it then don't use it
not sure if you are serious..... anyway, i was just being flippant about our fans who will accept any old rubbish, hence the getting the motto wrong-  new here so i shouldve checked if it was ok to use a bit of irony - (good job we werent playing west ham or the confusion on here wouldve caused mayhem)

January 04, 2016, 05:41:06 AM
Reply #596

Dirty Ticket

Don't be too harsh, he or she is new here...

.. and will get enough flak with some of our threads.
uh-oh  i`ve had it now!  :titanic:

January 04, 2016, 09:10:31 AM
Reply #597

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Should of won.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:11:35 AM by Audrey Horne »
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

January 04, 2016, 06:17:24 PM
Reply #598

Tinga

Oh another thing - where are all the Besic haters now?  Come on crawl out from under your rocks you spineless jellyfish.  He was excellent today and that was his first game back as well.  You don't have to own up, I know who you are anyway.  And similar applies to Mori who was also very good except a few small errors in the first half, and Deleufeu who apparently has been 'shit' recently and so we are back to tedious shouts of 'he's better off the bench' bullshit.

Mori is a liability and a complete accident waiting to happen. Martinez plays a game were defenders pass the ball out from the back yet Mori cannot pass a ball properly. I don't get it.

January 04, 2016, 07:27:57 PM
Reply #599

Paddockoldie

Taken from RM's post match interview:
“I felt that while Spurs had a lot of the ball in the first half they were playing into our hands a little bit.  We stopped their main threat and we’re disappointed to concede from such a direct ball but the way we grew into the second half and could use the squad was very, very pleasing.

UH?? Played in to our hands? We got outplayed and were shocking. This is like a boxer saying "I let him keep punching me to tire him out. It was part of my fight plan"

“It was an incredible game of football with a lot of intensity and I felt that with a bit more focus we could have taken advantage with our final pass and the good opportunities that we had in that second half.

The first half would have been nice Bobby..

“But overall the performance was terrific especially from a defensive point of view which has cost us a lot of points in the last few games.

It also cost us this game too.. We were 1 up. I admit we got better later on but let's face it , it's a backs to the wall fight approach again.

If we go out of the cup in a shameful fashion, then he really does need to go. I can accept losing, it's football but it's how you lose. The writing is on the wall for me... How high it is depends.