November 20, 2017, 05:53:53 PM

Author Topic: 24 matches and no penalties  (Read 3050 times)

January 06, 2016, 11:25:50 AM
Reply #15

Dr. Sponge

Is there a stat for how many corners have got past the first man? Amazes me when I watch us.

deCoubertin

January 06, 2016, 11:47:17 AM
Reply #16

montanatoffeefan

Pienaar and Arteta are/were always great at winning a soft foul from the slightest nudge. Deulofeu throwing his arms about and screaming like girl isn't fooling anyone.

There was a season or two there last decade when most of our attack was based on Arteta dribbling up to a defender and then "tripping" over one of his outstretched legs for a free kick in a promising area.

Pienaar seemed to get fouled more often without necessarily trying to. I think he was the most fouled player in England for a season or two. And the way he so often collapsed to the pitch in what looked even to an Everton fan like legitimate discomfort suggested he'd rather not have been. And we weren't so reliant on free kicks and corners by then. Or maybe Pienaar was just a really crafty diver who had  me fooled, too..

Everton forever.

January 06, 2016, 11:48:53 AM
Reply #17

montanatoffeefan

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:49:28 AM by montanatoffeefan »
Everton forever.

January 06, 2016, 06:07:21 PM
Reply #18

BlueMaquis

Doesn't Martinez dislike goals from set pieces?

January 06, 2016, 06:49:09 PM
Reply #19

Major Clanger

Pienaar seemed to get fouled more often without necessarily trying to. I think he was the most fouled player in England for a season or two. And the way he so often collapsed to the pitch in what looked even to an Everton fan like legitimate discomfort suggested he'd rather not have been. And we weren't so reliant on free kicks and corners by then. Or maybe Pienaar was just a really crafty diver who had  me fooled, too..

Both Pienaar and Arteta were brilliant at shielding the ball, tempting the defender to lunge in, then quickly stepping between them and the ball, drawing a clear foul.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

January 06, 2016, 07:55:41 PM
Reply #20

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Both Pienaar and Arteta were brilliant at shielding the ball, tempting the defender to lunge in, then quickly stepping between them and the ball, drawing a clear foul.

It's so useful too.

If attacking you get a free kick high up the pitch (well, not much use now but still...;) ), particularly if you're under pressure when receiving the ball and might risk losing it.

Or if you're under the cosh defensively it buys everyone some breathing space and time to reorganise.

January 06, 2016, 08:40:07 PM
Reply #21

Rhys

Pienaar and Arteta are/were always great at winning a soft foul from the slightest nudge. Deulofeu throwing his arms about and screaming like girl isn't fooling anyone.

Bojan is another who is really good at it. Those 2 were brilliant at it, and Bojan as well they know where the challenge is coming from and how to protect the ball well enough, then go down in a way to make sure the ref gives a free kick.

January 06, 2016, 09:25:18 PM
Reply #22

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Bojan is another who is really good at it. Those 2 were brilliant at it, and Bojan as well they know where the challenge is coming from and how to protect the ball well enough, then go down in a way to make sure the ref gives a free kick.

really enjoyed watching him this year.

While Arnie and Shaqiri have been taking the plaudits, I think Bojan has been quietly knitting it together for them. Very smart player and would love him here.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 06, 2016, 09:26:40 PM
Reply #23

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
really enjoyed watching him this year.

While Arnie and Shaqiri have been taking the plaudits, I think Bojan has been quietly knitting it together for them. Very smart player and would love him here.
10m release clause allegedly..............

Simply simply lovely