November 23, 2017, 05:27:24 PM

Author Topic: Chelsea v Everton  (Read 52553 times)

January 15, 2016, 09:38:41 PM
Read 52553 times

Shogun

Administrator

Chelsea v Everton
Stamford Bridge
Saturday 16th January 15:00
Premier League Match #22

Chelsea's last 5 matches

Chelsea 2-2 Watford (Costa x2)
Manchester United 0-0 Chelsea
Crystal Palace 0-3 Chelsea (Oscar, Willian, Costa)
Chelsea 2-0 Scunthorpe - FA Cup (Costa, Loftus-Cheek)
Chelsea 2-2 West Brom -  (Azpilicueta, O.G.)

Everton's last 5 matches

Everton 3-4 Stoke (Lukaku x2, Deulofeu)
Everton 1-1 Tottenham (Lennon)
Everton 2-1 Manchester City - Capital One Cup (Funes Mori, Lukaku)
Everton 2-0 Dagenham and Redbridge - FA Cup (Kone, Mirallas Pen)
Manchester City 0-0 Everton

Chelsea

Chelsea are still awaiting their first league victory at Stamford Bridge under the stewardship of Guus Hiddink as they could only manage a second consecutive 2-2 draw at home against West Brom in midweek, despite taking the lead twice in the match. However, the blues are unbeaten in all competitions in their five matches under the Dutchman and they only lost once under Hiddink during his previous reign at Chelsea (W16, D5). The stats heavily favour Chelsea in home fixtures against Everton as the Blues haven't lost to the Toffees in any of their last 20 Premier League matches at Stamford Bridge (W11, D9) and they've won each of the last two fixtures by 1-0 scorelines with both goals coming after the 89th minute. Hiddink met Everton twice during his previous tenure at Chelsea resulting in a goalless draw at Stamford Bridge and a 2-1 FA Cup triumph in the 2009 final. Chelsea have conceded 16 goals at home in the league this season which is the fourth most in the league behind West Brom (17), Newcastle (17) and Saturday's opponent Everton (20).

Chelsea's dismal title defence has come as a surprise to many this season and most certainly wouldn't have envisioned that they'd have 25 points fewer at this stage of the season or that they'd be sitting 14th in the league, just above newly promoted Norwich City and Bournemouth. Their goal difference has taken a huge battering with a swing of no less than 30 goals, having conceded 31 goals this season already, the most they've ever conceded at this stage of a Premier League season. One of the biggest problems for Chelsea has been surrendering leads in matches as they showed just a few days ago against West Brom, the Blues have thrown away 12 points from leading positions in the league this season which is the joint highest alongside Bournemouth and Newcastle. Despite a drop in chances created, Chelsea still average 10.71 chances per game which is the 6th most in the league this season but they've only found the target in 41% of their shots, some 10% down on last season and the only league side to post a worse percentage are Stoke City (40%).

Possible Line-Ups

Everton

Everton's stalemate draw at Manchester City on Wednesday night means that Everton have now lost just one of their 10 away matches in the Premier League this season, but they've also only won three matches during that run (D6). Only Manchester City (6) have kept more clean sheets than Everton (5) on the road this season and despite conceding 20 goals at Goodison Park, the Toffees have only conceded nine goals away from Merseyside which is bettered only by Crystal Palace's eight goals conceded this season. Everton's draw in midweek also means that they've now drawn 10 of their 21 matches this season, the most in the league. Despite still receiving criticism from many pundits, Ross Barkley has now registered seven assists in the Premier League this season which is the most of any Englishman. Steven Naismith seems to be on his way out of Everton but the Scottish international has scored six goals in seven Premier League appearances against Chelsea, compared to the 12 goals he's scored in 96 appearances against other opponents in the league. This will be Roberto Martinez's 250th match as a Premier League manager and he is just one short of 100 defeats (W77, D73) and he has lost in all six of his previous visits to Stamford Bridge.

Much was made of Romelu Lukaku's price tag from Chelsea to Everton, especially when Diego Costa came in for just 4m more but there's only been one winner as far as the stats are concerned this season. Lukaku tops the Premier League scoring charts with 15 goals this season which is precisely the same amount of goals that Diego Costa had scored at this stage of last season and he is only two goals short of his own record tally in the Premier League (17 - West Brom 2012/13). Costa's shot accuracy is only narrowly behind the Everton striker but it is 14% down on last season whilst he has been a lot more timid in front of goal (2.92 shots Per90 last season), though he's actually been slightly better in aerial duels this season. Lukaku is yet to score in any of his three matches against his former employers and only Tottenham (7) and Queen's Park Rangers (6) have managed to stop him from scoring  in more matches.

Statistics & Injuries

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:41:57 PM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 15, 2016, 09:40:06 PM
Reply #1

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Did somebody say waiting for first victory?

Simply simply lovely

January 15, 2016, 09:43:38 PM
Reply #2

Shogun

Administrator
Part of me thinks we're going to batter them 3-0, the rest realises the last time we won at Stamford Bridge, my age was measured in months.

January 15, 2016, 09:45:24 PM
Reply #3

hill135

Why has Mikel displaced Matic?

January 15, 2016, 09:45:56 PM
Reply #4

Bluedylan

Cleverley sounds highly doubtful from RMs press conference, and wouldn't we go with the same defence, given that we kept a clean sheet?
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 15, 2016, 09:48:51 PM
Reply #5

Shogun

Administrator
Why has Mikel displaced Matic?

Dunno, just went on a Chelsea forum and they had him in there.

Cleverley sounds highly doubtful from RMs press conference, and wouldn't we go with the same defence, given that we kept a clean sheet?

Impossible to know what's going on with our injuries so I took a chance.

I just thought that with Jagielka only recently coming back then three matches in 7 days could be a bit of a stretch and Martinez made a fuss out of saying Stones wouldn't play at right back during Coleman's absence (even though he has done).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:49:16 PM by Shogun »

January 15, 2016, 09:51:29 PM
Reply #6

hill135

Dunno, just went on a Chelsea forum and they had him in there.

I don't mean why have you got him in your lineup, because he has displaced Matic in recent weeks. Was wondering why.

January 15, 2016, 09:53:38 PM
Reply #7

Bluedylan

I don't mean why have you got him in your lineup, because he has displaced Matic in recent weeks. Was wondering why.

Hiddink brought him in and seems to have stuck with him. I suppose Matic was playing like a shadow of the player he was last year, and Hiddink must've seen that as an area where he could make a change. It hasn't helped much though, they've still been fairly shite and Matic is clearly significantly better than Mikel, so I'm not sure what the point of it is.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 15, 2016, 11:08:56 PM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I'd be surprised if we don't change our two wide players.

Osman can only last 60 mins these days and it must be a worry that Deulofeu is struggling to match that!

Good opportunity to play Mirallas and Lennon.

Or maybe more likely Kone and Lennon from the start.

I'd expect the defence to be the same.

January 16, 2016, 12:25:40 AM
Reply #9

bacon sarnie

Surprised to find more games are being played besides Liverpool/United with all the fuckin hoop-la-about-nowt from the media.

We will destroy these if the ref keeps his whistle up his hoop.

January 16, 2016, 01:34:21 AM
Reply #10

TSGun

Pretty confident of a good result despite the recent history at their's.

I like Lukaku's chances if he finds himself one out with Terry. Willian v Baines is a big match up for us.

January 16, 2016, 02:07:59 AM
Reply #11

Lxxx

No reason to fear these. Three points and with the next few games looking favourable you'd like to hope we can go on some sort of a run, it's got to happen at some point, with the quality we have. You'd hope.

January 16, 2016, 02:38:32 AM
Reply #12

bluestevie

If all else fails we'll still get a nice payday out of it from Fox and ESPN wether our keeper plays well or not supposedly
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

January 16, 2016, 02:47:03 AM
Reply #13

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think we'll know within 5 minutes whether we are going to beat them or get fucked.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 16, 2016, 03:38:15 AM
Reply #14

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Getting wellied here, aren't we.