0 (0%)
Stones (Sub)
1 (1.9%)
Baines (Sub)
0 (0%)
Niasse (Sub)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton  (Read 41428 times)

March 02, 2016, 03:50:05 PM
Reply #405

Rodenplav64

...............give it a fucking rest with this home crowd drag us down shite.

............................. ...... my opinion .

March 02, 2016, 04:06:51 PM
Reply #406

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
The fact is, bigger the crowd the easier it is for the players to hear the groans, perhaps that's the issue !

March 02, 2016, 04:07:30 PM
Reply #407

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Good result and good to get 3 goals from the amount of shots that we had.

But they were so poor it doesn't really tell us much.

Sometimes it's hard to play against dross, especially when you take control so early on.

But equally if we'd played well there would have been a hatful of goals on offer.

Obviously our next two games will require and should hopefully get better performances.

March 02, 2016, 04:21:31 PM
Reply #408

Ross

There may be some merit to the idea that we kept it in cruise control with an eye on the weekend (however arrogant such an approach would be in this hyper-competitive Premier League, even against a listless Villa side).

Still, I'm comfortable being called a grump/ingrate/wanker/whatever for not being happy with that performance. The game was played predominantly in our half -- not great -- and even when we're on the ball in those areas, we consistently lack the ability to work it forward into promising positions in the final third. Martinez needs to buck up our ideas on the ball in deep positions or switch the style if this squad isn't good enough to play from the back. And if he wants us to press, that needs to be worked on too. Our "press" accomplishes two things at the moment: (1) leaving a massive gap between midfield and defense, or (2) nothing at all.

Solid result, though.

If we as you say "we lack the ability to work it forward into promising positions in the final third" how's  that tally up with the fact we're the second highest goal scores in the league, averaging almost 2 goals a game and the team who realises least of all on dead ball situations to score a goal?

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

March 02, 2016, 04:28:10 PM
Reply #409

Paddockoldie

If we as you say "we lack the ability to work it forward into promising positions in the final third" how's  that tally up with the fact we're the second highest goal scores in the league, averaging almost 2 goals a game and the team who realises least of all on dead ball situations to score a goal?

I agree with you but I also see this point too. At times last night a break was on and some of our players lack that vision to see the moving player and get the pass off quicker, so they stop and turn or hold the ball up and the move has gone. I also think we passed back too much last night and over passed for the sake of it and often to a player 6 yards away who had just passed it.. We are not Barcelona.. if you look at lennon's goal, we hit fast and direct.. much better imo. We also need to play more through balls to Rom as he is a killer in those situations.. Looked frustrated last night.
One thing's for sure.. West ham will be a sterner test.

March 02, 2016, 04:31:24 PM
Reply #410

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

We've got good players who can produce moments of great play. Especially, as for the second goal when there's space to play in.

But when we're starting from the back with the opposition set we seem to lack ideas, movement or invention.

I don't think we've progressed at all in this regard in two and a half years.

No problem necessarily but it's meant to be our hall mark.

In reality we're a counter attacking side.

March 02, 2016, 04:38:42 PM
Reply #411

Ross

I agree with what you saying about last night but that's taking one game in isolation and @kramer0 seemingly wasn't doing that and was making a general point about our play.

As I said earlier we did enough to win comfortably without the need to break sweat, nothing outstanding, but we've seen a few times this season outstanding attacking play doesn't always get you the points you deserve. As the season draws to a close you'll hear more and more people claiming it's the result that matters and I'd settle for more 3-1 wins won at a canter.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

March 02, 2016, 04:40:44 PM
Reply #412

Major Clanger

We've got good players who can produce moments of great play. Especially, as for the second goal when there's space to play in.

But when we're starting from the back with the opposition set we seem to lack ideas, movement or invention.

PissingPassing about in our own half is meant to draw teams out and create space for our attackers but it never does. Except when we lose the ball in our half, they pour out and we win it back.

That's when we pounce.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:41:00 PM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

March 02, 2016, 04:43:08 PM
Reply #413

Lxxx

................................... my opinion .

Which you repeat ad nauseam.

March 02, 2016, 04:46:08 PM
Reply #414

Lxxx

And you can't really play counter attacking football at home, hence the disparity in results home and away.
Roberto still hasn't got a clue in how he wants us to set up. We basically wing it with moments of skill from our talented players, which is hit and miss depending on the form of said players week to week. 

March 02, 2016, 04:53:40 PM
Reply #415

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
PissingPassing about in our own half is meant to draw teams out and create space for our attackers but it never does. Except when we lose the ball in our half, they pour out and we win it back.

That's when we pounce.

Yes maybe we're more crafty than I'm giving us credit for :)

As you say the passing with small movements dragging the opposition out and out of position is a perfectly fine plan.

We're just not very good at it as we don't have enough passes that go forwards and entice their midfield defence out. It's easy to just watch it go sideways, then into McCarthy then back to the CB etc.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:53:52 PM by GLewis »

March 02, 2016, 04:56:12 PM
Reply #416

Ross

I think we can and have played both ways well since Martinez came, but I also think we look far better counter attacking at speed and exploiting weaknesses. There's obviously room for improvement but we're a good attacking team either way that creates chances in abundance, as the stats prove, we certainly don't lack for creating promising positions in the oppositions final third as was suggested. We may not always be clinical but even against the most stubbornly defensive teams we create chances.

March 02, 2016, 05:07:28 PM
Reply #417

Rodenplav64

Which you repeat ad nauseam.

Not that particular point . Talking of nausea ....................

March 02, 2016, 06:08:09 PM
Reply #418

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

I think we can and have played both ways well since Martinez came, but I also think we look far better counter attacking at speed and exploiting weaknesses. There's obviously room for improvement but we're a good attacking team either way that creates chances in abundance, as the stats prove, we certainly don't lack for creating promising positions in the oppositions final third as was suggested. We may not always be clinical but even against the most stubbornly defensive teams we create chances.

I think we are clinical though.

Don't we have the highest chance conversion rate in the league?

I think we create a small number of good chances which our good finishers put away. We have the occasional game like Norwich or Stoke where we miss a few but on the whole I don't think we come away from many games where we've missed bucket loads of chances.

But I don't think that, certainly since the 1st season, that we look regularly convincing against organised sides.

If someone makes it an open game then great - we do look very good.

March 02, 2016, 06:41:54 PM
Reply #419

Lxxx

I think we are clinical though.

Don't we have the highest chance conversion rate in the league?

I think we create a small number of good chances which our good finishers put away. We have the occasional game like Norwich or Stoke where we miss a few but on the whole I don't think we come away from many games where we've missed bucket loads of chances.

But I don't think that, certainly since the 1st season, that we look regularly convincing against organised sides.

If someone makes it an open game then great - we do look very good.

True. West Brom showed we're so easy to play against if the other team forces us to take the initiative. We're a bit na´ve in our play, which may come from having young players in the team in the final third, or it might just be we're not coached in how to mix our game up.