0 (0%)
Stones (Sub)
1 (1.9%)
Baines (Sub)
0 (0%)
Niasse (Sub)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton  (Read 41236 times)

March 01, 2016, 07:07:38 PM
Read 41236 times

Bluedylan

For everyone saying its "must win", why exactly? Obviously we want to win all games, but all we've got to play for in the league is whether we finish mid table or upper mid table.

A win against the bottom side proves nothing. A defeat might be a real bump back to earth for our new shareholder about his investment.

This game isn't must win for anyone except Roberto.

Because if we could put a run of results together, Europa League is still very achievable and if we could do that (and/or win an FA Cup), it would add to the forward momentum we've got as a club now and might also help us with player recruitment in the summer.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

March 01, 2016, 07:36:15 PM
Reply #1

Bluedylan

Problem is we've been saying this since about the tenth game of the season and haven't shown much sign of putting together a decent, undefeated run.

True, but it's still there to be done. I'm not saying we will, but we still could.

I'm hoping that Moshiri coming in, and the additional spotlight on Martinez, forces him to be pragmatic for the rest of the season, because he realises he needs to start delivering results. 

March 01, 2016, 07:48:57 PM
Reply #2

Bluedylan

Hopefully but I don't honestly see changes in the boardroom giving us an uplift in performance on the pitch. Martinez might do his annual end of season "tighten things up" but I don't think over the long term he's going to change much. I don't think he feels any great pressure to deliver results as he's on some long term mission and thinks he has all the time in the world to get it right.

And we're all guessing at the moment really.

Just going off the letter that Moshiri (and Usmanov) wrote to the Arsenal supporters, and listening to one or two Arsenal fans talk about him, I think he's going to be a bit more ruthless and results orientated than we've been used to.

I know BK is still around, but this guy is effectively the owner now, and it's his money. He wasn't willing to accept Arsenal just getting 4th every season and that's why a lot of Arsenal fans wanted him and Usmanov to take over.

I personally think, after an initial assessment period, he'll want to bring some of his own people in and that the pressure on people all over the club to achieve will increase, which in my view, can only be a good thing. I think you're underestimating the level of his ambition.

March 01, 2016, 08:20:53 PM
Reply #3

Bluedylan

Not at all, I'm questioning whether Martinez will react to the pressure or just carry on as he is thinking it's all fine margins and everything is coming together nicely, which it isn't.

Ah ok, misunderstood a bit. Your comment was more about Martinez than Moshiri?

Either way that's good then. If he reacts and it's a fundamental change to his outlook, sound, and if he doesn't, he'll should be out the door much quicker than would've been the case under BK.

If Martinez just drifts along with the same 'we're working towards becoming a good side' nonsense, he'll only have himself to blame if he gets the bullet and doesn't get a job on the same level again.

March 02, 2016, 02:41:08 AM
Reply #4

Bluedylan

I don't think we've been that bad. We've been solid and clinical. Villa sort of drag teams down to their level.

March 02, 2016, 07:02:35 PM
Reply #5

Bluedylan

We almost defy logic and analysis at times. I agree with what both GLewis and Ross have said and yet the two general points appear to be in contradiction.

I suppose the 'clinical' thing comes down to the quality of chances we create. Away from home a lot of our goals and chances come on the counter, which we're very good at. The nature of those chances is that you've normally cut through the opposition and have a number of attacking players up against a minimum of defenders, so the chances themselves are very good and that perhaps accounts for the high conversion rate.

Whereas at home, the chances or attempts on goal have often come against 10 men behind the ball, there's lots of bodies around the area, it's more of a quick snapshot and maybe aren't quite as clear cut, which maybe accounts for a lower conversion rate.