November 24, 2017, 11:03:27 PM

Author Topic: Transfer Speculation 2016  (Read 545948 times)

March 27, 2016, 06:03:09 AM
Read 545948 times

Bluedylan

Putting a thread out there because we're going to be linked with a lot of people over the next few weeks and months, and some of our players are going to be linked with moves away. Somewhere to put it, rather than having a thread for every rumour:

I'll start us off with Michael Carrick:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-keen-michael-carrick-summer-7634194

Would you 'av some of that'? Do you think he could still dominate games with his passing (which is still superb), or do we need to stop signing midfielders in their mid 30s in a league that is becoming increasingly physical again, and stop signing Utd cast offs?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:48:09 AM by Simon Paul »
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

March 27, 2016, 06:07:27 AM
Reply #1

Thornton_19

I would love Carrick, but I think injuries are catching up with him sadly. I would hope we don't sign him just based on how many games he has missed over the last two seasons. Great player, but he is finished now i think.

March 27, 2016, 06:10:34 AM
Reply #2

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Onky if our new found riches have helped to fund a time machine to go back and get Carrick in his prime. When we were initially linked with him before he joined West Ham would have been ideal. I'm hoping we are going to be looking at payers in their mid 20's
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

March 27, 2016, 06:39:08 AM
Reply #3

bacon sarnie

So that's Lukaku gone then?

March 27, 2016, 06:49:07 AM
Reply #4

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
So that's Lukaku gone then?

Yeah, but he'll flop and beg to come back to us. We will sign him for less than we paid the first time which will mean we will have actually made money on him, while still having him.

March 27, 2016, 07:26:06 AM
Reply #5

Ridge

We could have certainly used him this season. Think he'd be a very good option.

ideally I'd like to see us getting someone with decent experience and reading of the game, but less miles on the clock as well.

But would have no qualms about signing him, solid and clever player.

March 27, 2016, 08:20:25 AM
Reply #6

bacon sarnie

Yeah, but he'll flop and beg to come back to us. We will sign him for less than we paid the first time which will mean we will have actually made money on him, while still having him.

Thanks matey. I can sleep well now knowing we're destined to win the Champions League.

March 27, 2016, 11:12:26 AM
Reply #7

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Thanks matey. I can sleep well now knowing we're destined to win the Champions League.

Always look on the bright side me

March 27, 2016, 02:45:38 PM
Reply #8

christiffa25

Carrick is finished imo. If we were still in the begging and borrowing era with no money, then beggars can't be choosers and you'd take a risk he can maybe still offer something.

Hopefully we'll be using money wisely and buying players on their way up rather than players on their way down.

March 27, 2016, 03:18:56 PM
Reply #9

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
Carrick is finished imo. If we were still in the begging and borrowing era with no money, then beggars can't be choosers and you'd take a risk he can maybe still offer something.

Hopefully we'll be using money wisely and buying players on their way up rather than players on their way down.

99% of people said the same about Barry the years ago.

Although I agree, I don't think he's right for us. We needed more mobility in the middle.

March 27, 2016, 04:09:36 PM
Reply #10

Paddockoldie

If he's the calibre of player knob head thinks will take us forward he's more deluded than I  thought.. Carrick was a great player in his day but that day has passed.. he'd end up a bed blocker alongside crystal legs Gibson.

March 27, 2016, 04:21:29 PM
Reply #11

74Blue

Carrick was a very good player, whom I would have loved to have seen in an Everton shirt 5 years ago. However, he is very much in the twilight of his career now and is not what we should be looking at to take us forward. I think you'd be really lucky to get two seasons out of him, taking into account both his age and his injury record. We already have an experienced head in our midfield in Gareth Barry. I don't see having another arl arse in the middle as the solution. We should be looking at someone with their best years ahead of them, who can partner Barkley as our engine for the next five years or more.

March 27, 2016, 04:23:35 PM
Reply #12

Bluedylan

I still think he's an excellent player, and if you had other players doing his running around him, he could still dictate games in his sleep.

My concern is that the trend in the Prem is moving away from Carrick and that sort of player, so it might be the wrong time to get him.

But I don't see any harm in signing a superb passer of the ball as a squad player for certain games and situations.

He would be ideal to put at the base of midfield if you were 2-0 up with 20 minutes to go. He'll retain possession all day long for you.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

March 27, 2016, 04:29:07 PM
Reply #13

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I think Carrick could be great for us. A risky signing though and not someone we could rely on.

March 27, 2016, 04:35:23 PM
Reply #14

Gash

Global Moderator
Good player but I don't really see the point in signing another player in his mid thirties. I'd hoped we'd aim a bit higher than Michael Carrick now we have Moshiri's money.