May 28, 2018, 06:37:08 AM

Author Topic: Director of Football might be appointed...  (Read 28103 times)

May 14, 2016, 04:44:59 PM
Reply #30

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
At Southampton don't they have a team of people who deal with potential transfers?
It's not 1 guy as such, and more importantly it's not someone that can undermine the manager.
I think a lot of the German clubs operate the same way.
The problem with having 1 person operating above the manager is hat the manager could feel less in control of things.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

May 14, 2016, 05:01:17 PM
Reply #31

Fynci

De Boer, Overmars, and Bergkamp sounds amazing. I would be really excited if we brought in a trio like that to push the club forward, over the likes of a single name.

May 14, 2016, 05:09:10 PM
Reply #32

Fynci

De Boer, Overmars, and Bergkamp sounds amazing. I would be really excited if we brought in a trio like that to push the club forward, over the likes of a single name.

May 14, 2016, 06:26:35 PM
Reply #33

Trowel

Only De Boer left, the rest of his staff are staying including Bergkamp.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

May 14, 2016, 07:52:38 PM
Reply #34

hamshank33

He's not though.

The only 2 real quality players he's brought in during his time are Lukaku and Barry, both of which were no brainers.
I beg to differ, you can't disregard deulofeu or even besic at the price I am not unhappy with how the Swiss kid seems to be going all be it in a lesser league, to name a few. I still believe in every thing he was trying to do. He just couldn't coach them. There's a reason we're all pissed off that we didn't storm up the league, he gave us belief which is why what came after was so hard. I for one was expecting to be mid table and lower for a few years after moyes left. But he came in and built from the bottom so I'll tip my hat to that but he had to go in the end.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?hmm hmm?

May 14, 2016, 07:54:55 PM
Reply #35

BlueBeagle

I beg to differ, you can't disregard deulofeu or even besic at the price I am not unhappy with how the Swiss kid seems to be going all be it in a lesser league, to name a few. I still believe in every thing he was trying to do. He just couldn't coach them. There's a reason we're all pissed off that we didn't storm up the league, he gave us belief which is why what came after was so hard. I for one was expecting to be mid table and lower for a few years after moyes left. But he came in and built from the bottom so I'll tip my hat to that but he had to go in the end.

Deulofeu is still unable to complete 90 minutes of football despite looking promising.

Besic is shite and never fit.

May 15, 2016, 09:12:50 AM
Reply #36

kramer0

For all the talk of Emery, the Sevilla sporting director is boss and someone we should be thinking about if we want to make a real splash:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/94729-the-mastery-of-monchi-the-power-behind-sevillas-throne

May 15, 2016, 11:14:23 AM
Reply #37

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
To my mind, the manager should tell the dof who he wants and the dof has the job of getting them. Manager is the boss, not the other way round.
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

May 15, 2016, 12:08:30 PM
Reply #38

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

To my mind, the manager should tell the dof who he wants and the dof has the job of getting them. Manager is the boss, not the other way round.

But that's just the role of your standard chief exec or executive board member.

DoF is a much more proactive role designed to give the club's playing side a longer term strategic stability than if you were changing full responsibility managers every 2/3 seasons, which is what I think will be more towards the norm for us now.

May 15, 2016, 07:05:22 PM
Reply #39

kramer0

I didn't want to talk about this in the other thread because I thought it would be disrespectful so I'll put it here.

Niasse is the most embarrassing transfer I've ever seen from Everton. Overpriced, lacking in ability, and if the assault allegations turn out to be true, a nasty character too (even if he's professional in training and gives his all on the pitch). Whoever pushed for this, and I assume it was the scouting team and the manager working together, should be ashamed. Maybe our transfer team saw major potential in him despite his flaws (a trend under Martinez, see: Besic, Funes Mori) but potential isn't enough to drive a transfer. The Besic deal was okay because we paid so little and he's shown flashes of excellence. Funes Mori was bad because we got poor value and he appears to have major defensive deficiencies (the types of issues that not even the much maligned Stones has exhibited in our terrible system). The Niasse deal was atrocious because we got awful value and he could hardly even play for months upon arrival (and things don't seem to be trending up).

A good sporting director will sort these problems out. And the italicized good is crucial because there are a lot of crap sporting directors, many of whom have already been mentioned in this thread. A good sporting director is (1) adept at spotting talent (with the help of the scouting team) and (2) [the most important part] understands value. Martinez's transfer team was iffy with (1) and downright bad with (2). The next manager might be better on both counts but it's always a crapshoot when you rely on managers.

Given that most managers only last 2/3 years per appointment, it would be a major benefit to club to have someone clever in charge of personnel decisions. So basically the opposite of Joe Kinnear. Even someone like Begiristain (City) would make me uneasy as he has a poor record of getting value on big transfers (Bony, Mangala, Otamendi, etc.). Baldini (Spurs) has made some poor choices (mostly Soldado) but Spurs' recruitment has been strong overall -- even players they've sold, like Capoue and Sigurdsson, have been very good elsewhere.

I think a sporting director would be good for Everton provided the club does its due diligence and finds someone with football and business know how, plus the skills to get everyone beneath him in the club's hierarchy pulling together (scouts, coaches, etc.).

Edit: Monchi (Sevilla) and Christian Heidel* (formerly Mainz, soon to be Schalke) are the sorts of appointments we should aspire to.

* Shout out to @Alfie Noakes for putting him on my radar.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 08:09:48 PM by kramer0 »

May 17, 2016, 07:59:13 PM
Reply #40

kramer0

A better article on Monchi (Sevilla).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/17/sevilla-monchi-liverpool-europa-league-final

If we find the right person, a sporting director is a very good idea for Everton.

May 18, 2016, 08:49:31 PM
Reply #41

kramer0

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/martinezs-everton-coaching-staff-set-11325761

I'm glad to see Kevin Reeves is going along with Martinez's coaches. Our approach to player recruitment is in need of a serious overhaul.

May 18, 2016, 08:51:47 PM
Reply #42

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/martinezs-everton-coaching-staff-set-11325761

I'm glad to see Kevin Reeves is going along with Martinez's coaches. Our approach to player recruitment is in need of a serious overhaul.

McCarthy aside, did Wigan unearth any gems while RM was there?

May 18, 2016, 08:56:49 PM
Reply #43

kramer0

McCarthy aside, did Wigan unearth any gems while RM was there?

It depends on how you feel about Victor Moses, Arouna Kone, Franco DiSanto, Shaun Maloney, James McArthur, Antolin Alcaraz, and Joel Robles.

I'm going to say "no" but with the caveat that those players are actually much better than most on here will give them credit for.

Edit: Toss Jean Beausejour on the pile. Overall, there's a distinctly mediocre feel to what Reeves and Martinez have done together and I will not miss them one bit.

Double Edit: Mediocre-to-bad. They spent roughly 30m on Boselli, Funes Mori, and Niasse. That's pretty lousy for a crew that's worked at clubs with little-to-no money.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:01:15 PM by kramer0 »

May 18, 2016, 09:23:43 PM
Reply #44

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I'm definitely saying no!

They're average at best and most of  them were pretty well known before hand.