September 24, 2018, 06:38:11 AM

Author Topic: Director of Football might be appointed...  (Read 29887 times)

May 14, 2016, 03:02:56 AM
Read 29887 times

Bluedylan

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-explore-sporting-director-model-11330466

Everton will consider appointing a sporting director as they plot the new era at Goodison.

The Blues are searching for a replacement for Roberto Martinezís after the club brought his near three year reign to an end on Thursday.

A shortlist including Ronald Koeman , Frank de Boer and Manuel Pellegrini has been drawn up.

Martinez was sacked yesterday afternoon and key members of his backroom staff followed him out the door and Everton are exploring the idea of a making major changes to their management structure.

Koeman, de Boer and Pellegrini all work as head coaches in a European-style framework where a sporting director sits above them.

Everton are now looking into the possibility of replacing the post left by chief scout Kevin Reeves with a sporting director.

Investor Farhad Moshiri is ready to hand Martinezís successor a transfer war chest in excess of £100m as he looks to turn the Blues back into a side to compete for European qualification.

Koeman works with technical director Martin Hunter at Southampton while de Boer, before quitting Ajax this week, had Marc Overmars as sporting director.

Manchester City boss Pellegrini, who will be replaced by Pep Guardiola this summer, has former Barcelona man Txiki Begiristain above him as the clubís technical director.

Martinez liked working in the traditional management structure, which allowed him to have control over all club affairs, and he had been hoping to build an Arsene Wenger-style dynasty at Goodison.

However, after a run of just one win in their last 10 matches and having overseen a second season of failure, Evertonís board wielded the axe.

And now Blues chiefs are looking at possibly replacing him with a head coach whilst also appointing a sporting director.

I know we can point to examples where it hasn't worked, but I think it might be a good idea. It's not just a European thing, most clubs have a variation of that role now, and I think it'll be another step in the development of the club.

Views?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:20:37 PM by Bluedylan »
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 14, 2016, 03:05:37 AM
Reply #1

hill135

I'm on board with this. It would offer more continuity in an era where most managers stick around for less that two seasons.

It needs to be the right person. Who that is, I don't know.

May 14, 2016, 03:09:01 AM
Reply #2

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah it's a good idea as long as it's the right person that's in the role, and that the boundaries between the DoF role and the manager role are understood and stuck to.

May 14, 2016, 03:11:55 AM
Reply #3

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Would Joe Royle fit that role?

I know he's not keen on full time management, wonder if he would be interested, or any good at it?

@Simon Paul might know?
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

May 14, 2016, 03:15:33 AM
Reply #4

Major Clanger

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-explore-sporting-director-model-11330466

I know we can point to examples where it hasn't worked, but I think it might be a good idea. It's not just a European thing, most clubs have a variation of that role now, and I think it'll be another step in the development and modernisation of the club.

Views?

Only if it's someone who's part of the club's firmament, like Joe Royle.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

May 14, 2016, 03:17:49 AM
Reply #5

74Blue

Well for the past god knows how many years, we've been operating with a board of "directors of fuck all", so a director of football may be a step forward for us.

May 14, 2016, 03:39:39 AM
Reply #6

hill135

WHo was that American bloke without a football background we brought in and what was his role again?

May 14, 2016, 03:43:59 AM
Reply #7

Corinthian

As a side issue I would imagine that this signifies the end of Bill Kenwright taking any more unilateral footballing decisions like appointing a new manager which would be a plus at this turning point for the club.

May 14, 2016, 03:44:20 AM
Reply #8

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Would Joe Royle fit that role?

I know he's not keen on full time management, wonder if he would be interested, or any good at it?

@Simon Paul might know?
Would royle not be a little out of touch now?
Simply simply lovely

May 14, 2016, 03:47:44 AM
Reply #9

Sixx1402

What would someone in that role do though? I don't like the idea of them bringing the players in as surely the manager should do that as it's his system?
Ahh.....Boucheenie i presume

May 14, 2016, 03:49:08 AM
Reply #10

Major Clanger

Would royle not be a little out of touch now?

I wouldn't think so. I'd be more concerned that the role isn't hands-on enough for him, not all people can tolerate that.

May 14, 2016, 03:50:40 AM
Reply #11

Gash

Global Moderator
WHo was that American bloke without a football background we brought in and what was his role again?

Joe Max Moore, striker.

May 14, 2016, 03:54:23 AM
Reply #12

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber

He was all about the youth wasn't he? And I'm sure he had no football background?

May 14, 2016, 03:54:48 AM
Reply #13

Major Clanger

What would someone in that role do though? I don't like the idea of them bringing the players in as surely the manager should do that as it's his system?

In an ideal world the DoF is in continuous discussion with the head coach about transfer targets. Once they have a list, a good DoF does the donkey work of chasing them up, monitoring their availability, talking to agents and so on. He also organizes the scouting and deals with the contracts of the players already at the club.

May 14, 2016, 04:01:12 AM
Reply #14

Sixx1402

In an ideal world the DoF is in continuous discussion with the head coach about transfer targets. Once they have a list, a good DoF does the donkey work of chasing them up, monitoring their availability, talking to agents and so on. He also organizes the scouting and deals with the contracts of the players already at the club.

OK cool, my only worry would be if they had a difference of option over targets, like kinnear and pardew at Newcastle, that would be absolute bollocks
Ahh.....Boucheenie i presume