September 23, 2018, 01:38:12 PM

Author Topic: Olympics 2016  (Read 21479 times)

August 03, 2016, 05:59:11 PM
Read 21479 times

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
The BBC's athletics coverage is an absolute joy to watch and I don't think you can get a smoother, more knowledgeable, medal laden line up on the planet when they wheel the big guns out.

Colin Jackson, Denise Lewis, Jonathan Edwards, Michael Johnson, Steve Cram.

When they throw in the likes of Pendelton and Hoy to their presenting and punditry team you have to say fair play to them for getting these kind of people on board.

You're totally right.

Apart from Jonathan Edwards, who is a complete and utter slimeball cunt.

August 11, 2016, 03:15:23 AM
Reply #1

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
Get in, a gold in the diving!

Me and the wife watching this, thinking we know shit about diving, commenting on size of splashes and synchronicity in the dive. That's why I love the Olympics!

August 11, 2016, 04:34:56 AM
Reply #2

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
Whitlock guaranteed a bronze in the all round gymnastics game, which I believe is the technical term for it.

August 12, 2016, 03:32:29 AM
Reply #3

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
Watching the cycling reminds me of a Chris Hoy story my sister's boyfriend told me earlier this year. He was looking after him at some event a few years ago, after he had retired.

The day before the event, they went out and he got absolutely blootered, smashing down all sorts of shots in between pints and whisky. He ended up going missing at the end of the night and my sister's boyfriend couldn't find him anywhere. 

He went to bed about 5am and got up at 8am to look for Chris Hoy and there he is at breakfast, absolutely fine, no signs of a hangover and completely coherent.

The Scots are amazing.

August 12, 2016, 03:40:50 AM
Reply #4

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
There's an old story that's quite famous down here about Byran Robson being in the same hotel as the Welsh rugby team in the late eighties. He was abl to pack away the booze so well they had to drink with him in shifts, and he was still going the next day

I'd heard that Bryan Robson was a boozer, but that's impressive. I doubt many footballers can out-drink a rugby player.

August 12, 2016, 03:50:17 AM
Reply #5

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
We used to have a football team at the club, full of the young scally lads of the estate. They'd come back on a Saturday drinking their WKD Blues and such shit. They used to mouth off about their drinking prowess. So we took them out with us one night. The last one standing lasted to about 11.30 - just as we were going into the first club of the night. I got in about half six in the morning. That Sunday United were playing Liverpool on Sky so the club was packed. We were all there from opening time, drinking. The first and only one of the football boys arrived just before kick off and ordered a pint of squash. When we asked him where the rest were (as they were always up on a Sunday for a live game), he said he'd only had an answer from two of the calls he made to see if they were coming out to watch the game. Their response was "no fucking way, dying."

Brilliant.

Sounds like me!

August 12, 2016, 03:51:16 AM
Reply #6

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
Still waiting for your reason for hating Johnathan Edwards ?

lol

August 12, 2016, 04:03:46 AM
Reply #7

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
Ian Botham was/is a massive boozer too. Seen him in action with Viv Richards and with a few rugby boys when his boy played for Cardiff

I heard the best drunken sportsman story on the No Such Thing as a Fish podcast today.

At the 1953 Le Mans race, Duncan Hamilton's Jaguar team were disqualified because of an admin error that meant their car had the same number as another car. So Hamilton and his driving partner took off into town and went on the piss all night. The organisers realised that it wasn't fair disqualifying them, so they reinstated them. The Jaguar team manager went and found them at the bar and told them that the race was back on.

So Hamilton is brought to the track and helped into the car, massively pissed still, and sets off. At pits stops, his crew is pumping him full of coffee to keep him awake and to try and sober him up but he tells them that this was making him shake too much. So they start giving him brandy instead and just keep him a steady drunk.

During the race, a bird hit him in the face and broke his nose.

Despite all of this, he won the race and their team recorded the first average speed of 100mph for the entire race.

August 12, 2016, 04:07:25 AM
Reply #8

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
Jeez Gash, why are you on my case like a rash ?  Was asking a simple question out of curiosity, is that not allowed ?  I see worse things happening on here without you jumping down their necks , is it personal for some reason ?

It's just a bit relentless with you. Like you're lying awake in bed at night wondering why I think Jonathan Edwards is a bit of a tit.

Why do you care why I don't like him?

I ignored you because I don't have to justify my irrational hatred of semi-famous people.

August 12, 2016, 04:09:53 AM
Reply #9

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
So that is why we all not at the olympics and only watching it, cos we all end up pissed and useless.

bravo NSNO bravo.....

I think the moral of these stories is that pissed does not always equal useless :D

August 12, 2016, 05:24:08 AM
Reply #10

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
I played touch rugby in Fiji, with Fijians, almost 10 years ago. It remains a memory that I'll treasure forever. Such amazing people - plus our accountant is a Fijian, so it's for those reasons that I'm actually quite pleased that they'll get gold here.