November 19, 2017, 01:47:25 AM

Author Topic: Duncan had a pigeon, a pigeon, a pigeon...  (Read 3551 times)

July 06, 2010, 03:09:11 PM
Reply #15

Gary Iceman

i used to race pigeons for 3 years, not in the same club as dunc, and someone bought a pigeon for stud and they paid £160,000 for it.there is not many people who could afford that.i use to trawl the internet looking to see what the persons name who bought it was but got nowhewre, i wonder if it was dunc and he wanted his identity kept secret.         
Alan Harper: "I made my debut at Goodison against Stoke and was standing in the tunnel waiting to go onto the pitch. Z cars started playing on the PA and I heard the crowd roar. If I could bottle a moment and save it forever, then that would be it.

deCoubertin

July 06, 2010, 03:24:16 PM
Reply #16

Connavar

DixieSixty is both wrong and right. When Ferguson joined we had two of our biggest legends in our team in Southall and Watson, however they were in the twighlight of their career. I was brought up on 90's Everton and don't agree with other Evertonians who don't think Dunc was a legend, these other Evertonians I usually find grew up with either the 60's teams or the 80's and had a wealth of legends. Ferguson was a bright point in a all too dull period of the club.

July 06, 2010, 04:23:16 PM
Reply #17

Major Clanger

Good god !!!

Fair enough for all of you that loved him, but that is the epitomy of how bad Everton was during those years. an Icon never a legend nor a hero

Most footballers don't have a public personality fans can relate to. (I guess some of them don't even have a personality at all.)

Dunc had, and an interesting one at that, he certainly wasn't a one dimensional character.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

July 06, 2010, 04:44:58 PM
Reply #18

Tony Clifton

Duncan is our hero
He wears the number 9
He wears his shirt with pride
He wears it all the time
He wears it in the shower
He wears it in his nest
Duncan is our hero
He is the fuckin best

Good god !!!

Fair enough for all of you that loved him, but that is the epitomy of how bad Everton was during those years. an Icon never a legend nor a hero

I liked Duncan - he was something to shout about (sometimes) during mostly dark times, but I used to fucking cringe when that one rung out.  I agree, never a true legend...  at best an icon/cult hero.

July 06, 2010, 06:47:13 PM
Reply #19

chang

Phoned RSPB, who have suggested not to feed him.

This is good advice!

Few years back we had one land in garden absolutly knackered, anyway fed it for a few days and when it was looking much better we took it up to Beachy Head and launched it over the edge.......off it flew.

We got back home, 5 miles away, and there it was, sitting on the grass.  :bonk:

How do they do that!

July 06, 2010, 06:51:01 PM
Reply #20

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
What's the story behind this song?

Did he actually have a pigeon or something?

I can't believe you didn't know he had pigeons!

Anyway, it's been a while since the last big dunc debate!

I think that the word legend is probably right, but only because it isn't applied correctly to players like Dixie etc.

They should be classed as greats AND legends.

Legends tend to be stories that have some elements of truth, but that have become exaggerated over time so that eventually it's hard to distinguish the factual from the mythical. Legends also have to have a popular appeal which reaches into the souls of those who they are supposed to either inspire, or strike fear into.

I'd say that those criteria certainly apply to Big Dunc.

Although he was never consistent enough to be classed as a great.

The bar at EFC is far too high for that.