December 13, 2018, 04:11:04 AM

Author Topic: Scottish Football Thread (SPFL etc)  (Read 22874 times)

August 17, 2018, 12:55:31 AM
Reply #60

Gash

Global Moderator
More tin pot results from the one team league winners . lolol

Wouldn't last five minutes in the championship .

To be fair, although I take the piss out of Celtic and Rangers fans saying 'if we had the Permier League money' they both would become a force in English football if they got in. Celtic would easily cope in the Championship, Rangers not so much at the moment but if/when they both got into the Premier League, with the money that's there they'd be right up there with the biggest clubs within a few years as the Premier League would only increase their fan base amd global following

I know it's a fairly light hearted argument as it'll never happen but it's daft to say that because of where they play at the moment they wouldn't do well in England with the finances that would come with it. Rangers have shown that with the right finances they're easily a bigger draw than half the teams in the Premier League. Even if it did ultimately ruin them.

August 17, 2018, 01:12:22 AM
Reply #61

Gash

Global Moderator
It’s a bit of a meaningless argument though isn’t it. People comment on the shite football and the response is give me 150 million and we’d be good. It’s true of absolutely every big club in every country if you just stuck them in a rich league

No chance of it ever happening anyways because there’s nothing in it for any English club. They’d be turkeys voting for Christmas

Do you ever fully read posts you reply to or just the first few words before launching into a completely pointless post?

August 17, 2018, 01:39:54 AM
Reply #62

Gash

Global Moderator
To be totally honest Gash. ..I just don't see it with either of them they play in a league were only maybe three teams pose a threat to them in results a season ....
as for the money stuff any team in the first two/three tiers of our footy could say the same thing ...again support numbers is basically the same thing ...there are only a handful of teams worth bothering with most Scottish lads I know support two teams ranger or Celtic and their local team too .

Like I said, you need forget about where they play at the moment and look at the bigger picture. Anyway, also asaid it was meant as a light hearted debate but @KoemansNumberTens has sucked any of my interest out of it now. ;)

August 17, 2018, 01:40:52 AM
Reply #63

Gash

Global Moderator
Yeah I was just kind of agreeing with you in a muddled up way. We can’t all just post inspiring insights like yourself.

Oh don't worry, I can't talk shite too, just not as often or as well as you. :)

August 17, 2018, 04:38:10 AM
Reply #64

Gash

Global Moderator
Hibs out of Europe, Rangers go to Russia, and Celtic gets shipped out to Lithuania.

Quality teams in Scotland, for sure...

No one said they were quality, well, apart from die hard Rangers and Celtic fans.

The way I see it is this, Scottish football is poor and obviously nowhere near the level of the Premier League and in the main the Championship either. But if everyone said "it's shit" about various leagues then we wouldn't bother watching Championship, League One or League Two football never mind non league and amateur football but every level has it's fans.

I'm not saying Scottish football is good but (and I know people will say I'm as bias) it's not that bad, it has it's level and much like a lot of League One and Two games, there's some pretty decent games in it. If anything Rangers and Celtic's short comings (although Celtic have qualified for the group stages in the last few years) in Europe has become a stick to beat them with, yet if teams at the same level as some people see them at somehow got into Europe they'd be supporting them as underdogs and willing them to do well. We can't really say Scottish football is the equivalent of League One football then laugh when they get knocked out of Europe. I do but that's as much to laugh at the fans than the club. :)

The only reason people throw in the "it's shit" shouts is that people compare it to the Premier League a lot of the time and that's where the other side of the argument comes from. If you watch it in context and don't expect it to be world class then it can be quite good, just like the Championship, League One and League Two who people say Scotland's top league's at a level with. Most people that say it's shit never even watch games anyway but probably sit and enjoy many lower league games in England.

August 18, 2018, 06:17:12 AM
Reply #65

Gash

Global Moderator
What's the opinion like up there Gash in relation to having Premiership U20, Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish and now English teams competing in the Challenge Cup? Is it a good thing or is it being treated as as unnecessary as having U21 teams playing in the Football League Trophy down here?

I haven't really heard many comments on it to be honest. It's a bit like the Johnson's Paint Trophy (or whatever it is these days) so it's not really a competition that get's much exposure. I think the final averages about 7-8k fans then, had 40 odd thousand when Rangers won it then dipped back to the few thousands. Personally I think it's a bit daft but if that's what they want to do then it's up to them, it's just another daft Scottish football thing, a bit like having the League Cup in group stages first and the top 6 spilt that they do in the Premiership.

They need a big restructure here rather than just messing around with cups and splitting the table at the end of the season.

August 19, 2018, 04:37:26 PM
Reply #66

Gash

Global Moderator
Is this for real @Gash? £10m

Seems to be a few places reporting it, although they're all just rehashing the same story. I don't think they'd let him go for that much though. Even without the Champions League money they'll still be pretty well off and there would be a fans revolt if they took £10m for him just to make up a CL shortfall when most of the criticism has been due to lack of recruitment in the first place.

August 24, 2018, 04:28:34 AM
Reply #67

Gash

Global Moderator
Suduva (?) 1-1 Celtic in Europa League qualifying. Yeesh.

Celtic could well need to sell Tiernay if they keep on going like this. Albeit, you'd expect them to win the home leg.

They'll be hoping to repeat the last time they met at Parkhead, pumped them 8-1.

They're probably in a better position that Rangers, only won 1-0 at home.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:29:59 AM by Gash »

August 24, 2018, 02:20:10 PM
Reply #68

Gash

Global Moderator
You know nothing about Scotland or Scottish football.

Great contribution to the discussion. Try adding something worthwhile rather than tell someone born and bred in a country they know nothing about it.

So, are you Rangers or Celtic?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:28:39 PM by Gash »

August 24, 2018, 05:58:43 PM
Reply #69

Gash

Global Moderator
Why do Scotts have long skinny dicks?

Because they're so fucking tight fisted.

:badum:

Sorry.

*Must not make Welsh sheep shagger joke, must not make Welsh sheep shagger joke, must not make Welsh sheep shagger joke......................... ............................. ;)

August 25, 2018, 07:56:52 PM
Reply #70

Gash

Global Moderator
Hahahahhaha he says to the Scot on the forum hahahahaha fucking hell made my day that hahahahaha.

To be fair, I did spell Livingston wrong.  :blush:

August 28, 2018, 01:13:24 AM
Reply #71

Gash

Global Moderator
Plus you mentioned Clydebank, a football entity that hasn't existed for the past 16 years  ;)

Strictly speaking they do, they just don't play in the Football League anymore. Ayrshire Juniors now I think?

Which nicely backs up the point I was making. :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:15:34 AM by Gash »

August 28, 2018, 01:35:40 AM
Reply #72

Gash

Global Moderator
To be fair I think that last iteration of Clydebank kind of merged with the old Airdrieonians club to become Airdrie United which then became Airdrieonians again even though the distance between the two locations is about 20 miles.

Yeah, you could be right about that, Clydebank as it is now is a supporter owned club by the sound of it. Airdrie had the best name of a stadium anywhere back then, The Shyberry Excelsior Stadium. :)

Joking aside, it does back up what I said about there being too many clubs in such a small area, Clydebank and Airdrie are just two examples of clubs that have yoyo'd up and down and ultimately gone out of business. Gretna is another, although that was a mad owner as much as anything but they never had the fan base to sustain the spending that Brookes Mileson was throwing the the club. Carlisle fans always breathe a sigh of relief, he tried to buy them before Gretna.

I'm a bit disappointed to see that @blairio has been logged on several times and not added to the discussion rather than just say someone's chatting shite.

September 01, 2018, 10:05:59 PM
Reply #73

Gash

Global Moderator
Who's this Naismith lad playing for Hearts? Reckon he could do a job??

:snigger:

Mad the Johnny Russell's in the Scotland squad and Naismith isn't.

Although it's also mad that Norwich are still paying £40k of Naismith's £50k a week wages.

September 09, 2018, 06:08:19 AM
Reply #74

Gash

Global Moderator
The commentary's about as funny as the ref's decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45409768