October 24, 2018, 07:42:56 AM

Author Topic: Scottish Football Thread (SPFL etc)  (Read 20208 times)

September 12, 2016, 10:39:48 PM
Reply #75

Thomas

Are you thinking or rather hoping it coincided with them events? Personally think it looks like too much of a coincidence myself.

One of my best mates is a massive Celtic fan (used to have a season ticket, despite being from and living in St. Helens) and he said the atmosphere on Saturday was incredible. I've been to games with him and enjoyed it and look out for their results etc.

However, my mate is one of those fans who are so deluded and biased about Celtic it's unreal. The amount of times I've been told that Celtic won the european cup with a team all born within 30 odd miles of the ground is ridiculous. He genuinely thinks Celtic would hold their own in the Prem (I admit with time they would do) and spouts on about having the best fans in the world. Apparently uefa voted them it once 10 years ago.

I always get the impression from him and some of the things he likes on twitter that the majority of the celtic fanbase is like this, a bit like Liverpool's. Spouting on about thier history and how good the club is, when in the here and now they are a bit shit

Head onto a Celtic forum and check them all out, they seem pretty level headed these days to me.

All's i can say about the dolls was it was not the Green Brigade, has been roundly panned by fans as an ill thought out and insensitive and misfired jibe at Rangers liquidation.

Atmosphere at the game was incredible like you say and the main banner was the tricolour. Which was Green Brigade but nobody has acknowledged that was the main,official display for the game for some reason.

September 12, 2016, 10:47:17 PM
Reply #76

BlueNoseMike

Head onto a Celtic forum and check them all out, they seem pretty level headed these days to me.

All's i can say about the dolls was it was not the Green Brigade, has been roundly panned by fans as an ill thought out and insensitive and misfired jibe at Rangers liquidation.

Atmosphere at the game was incredible like you say and the main banner was the tricolour. Which was Green Brigade but nobody has acknowledged that was the main,official display for the game for some reason.

Well that's a relief. As I say I like Celtic, it would be brill to watch Celtic v Everton in europe. My mate is one of those fans then I guess. I told him about this not long after I posted on here and his response was 'the actions of a few should not stain the great reputation celtic fans have across the world as recognised by fifa and uefa'. :/

Anyway, what's a successful season for Celtic then? The title, a domestic cup and a respectable performance in europe? Looking at the groups and Celtic probably have the hardest team from each pot

Think Celtic have bought well and them getting that Dembele was a bit of a coup

September 13, 2016, 12:33:21 AM
Reply #77

Gash

Global Moderator
I've been discussing this on TalkCeltic Board, and there's a mixed reaction to it - as it coincided (i think accidentally) with a family death of Kris Boyd's and World Suicide Day. Personally I disliked it, even if it was meant to be about their club going out of existence - blow up dolls and hanging aren't the way to do it. Celtic are a huge club with a great history/tradition and thats why many supporters instead applauded the Green Brigades (traditional) tricolour 1916 centenary  display.

However having said that Rangers fans are being a bit self righteous about morality - they regularly sing songs about empire and the famine , bring banners by the racist far right Scottish Defence League and destroyed the away sections toilets after the game.

I don't have a lot of time for either set of fans so from a completely impartial point of view you've got pretty big blinkers on there Thomas. You're making it sound like Rangers fans are all that is bad in the Rangers/Celtic divide and Celtic are all that is good, it's where the 'always the victim' comparison to kopites comes from. The truth is (and I'd say this of Evertonians just as much as any other club) all clubs have their element of dickheads so don't try and make out as Celtic fans being perfect, they've had their own episodes of damaging away grounds, flying controversial banners and singing controversial songs so lets not try and dress it up as something different.

Don't you think it's a little ironic that the likes of the Green Brigade (lets not try and portray them up as some beacon of common sense) moan about Rangers fans singing Rule Britannia and flying Union Jacks while Celtic, a Scottish club sing Irish songs and fly the Irish flag.

I'm the last to stick up for Rangers but don't try and paint out that one set of fans are better/worse than the others. I know a lot of Rangers and Celtic fans personally, from family and friends to work colleagues and general acquaintances and they can all be dicks when they want to.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:39:54 AM by Gash »

September 13, 2016, 12:39:50 AM
Reply #78

Major Clanger

It may be just me, but I see a distinct difference between singing songs about stuff that happened 150 years ago (however awful that event was), and poking fun at someone's suicide that happened just days ago.

One is taking the piss, the other is beyond the pale.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:40:32 AM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

September 13, 2016, 12:41:44 AM
Reply #79

Gash

Global Moderator
It may be just me, but I see a distinct difference between singing songs about stuff that happened 150 years ago (however awful that event was), and poking fun at someone's suicide that happened just days ago.

I don't think the hanging dolls were meant to be aimed at Kris Boyd, just a very badly timed coincidence.

September 13, 2016, 12:51:15 AM
Reply #80

Haile GAZrselassie

Paradise???? Since when has it been called that???

It's just a nickname Celtic fans have always used.
Stealth ya flaming galargh!!!

September 13, 2016, 01:02:39 AM
Reply #81

Haile GAZrselassie

I had the misfortune of having to watch the game on Saturday in a pub in town before I went the races.

Fortunately, once the Utd/City game kicked off I could pretend to be watching the auld firm to keep the old man happy but mainly watching the manc derby.

I've just had to watch the highlight of at it as I'm still at me mam's.

Jesus wept, 6 goals and every single one of them an absolute shambles. Unmarked headers, opposition giving the ball away leading to goals, defensive lines all over the place, piss poor goalkeeping.

Not one of those goals can be considered well worked or even an individual piece of brilliance.

Seriously @Thomas, I'd be embarrassed to admit you enjoy watching that!

September 13, 2016, 04:23:43 AM
Reply #82

Gash

Global Moderator
To be fair that's partially why Gary Hooper done so well, plucked from League One straight into SPL - yet he could bang them in at CL level as well - just like a certain Leigh Griffiths :D Although Hooper also proved he could stick it in the Premier League.

He's only scored 2 or 3 CL goals and was pretty much out his depth in the Premier League, that's why they loaned then sold him to Sheff Wed last season. Actually, now you mention it, that probably is much the same as would happen to Leigh Griffiths as well. :) He's scored in the qualifiers against pretty poor opposition, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on against decent teams.

September 13, 2016, 04:16:36 PM
Reply #83

Haile GAZrselassie

He's only scored 2 or 3 CL goals and was pretty much out his depth in the Premier League, that's why they loaned then sold him to Sheff Wed last season. Actually, now you mention it, that probably is much the same as would happen to Leigh Griffiths as well. :) He's scored in the qualifiers against pretty poor opposition, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on against decent teams.

I'll be amazed if Celtic gain a single point from their group.

They were extremely fortunate to come up against the weakest team they could of got in every round of the qualifiers, but they couldn't really have been given a much harder group.

Both City and Barca will beat them comfortably home and away. Leverkusen are also streets ahead of them. Possibly sneak a draw from either of the games against them, but I doubt it.

September 13, 2016, 07:05:40 PM
Reply #84

Thomas

I don't have a lot of time for either set of fans so from a completely impartial point of view you've got pretty big blinkers on there Thomas. You're making it sound like Rangers fans are all that is bad in the Rangers/Celtic divide and Celtic are all that is good, it's where the 'always the victim' comparison to kopites comes from. The truth is (and I'd say this of Evertonians just as much as any other club) all clubs have their element of dickheads so don't try and make out as Celtic fans being perfect, they've had their own episodes of damaging away grounds, flying controversial banners and singing controversial songs so lets not try and dress it up as something different.

Don't you think it's a little ironic that the likes of the Green Brigade (lets not try and portray them up as some beacon of common sense) moan about Rangers fans singing Rule Britannia and flying Union Jacks while Celtic, a Scottish club sing Irish songs and fly the Irish flag.

I'm the last to stick up for Rangers but don't try and paint out that one set of fans are better/worse than the others. I know a lot of Rangers and Celtic fans personally, from family and friends to work colleagues and general acquaintances and they can all be dicks when they want to.

@Gash I suppose I'm an optimist through my environment/fortunate to know good supporters, but sure, like fans of all clubs they've been silly before.

Rangers as a footballing institution is one i respect, although I have less time for their supporters.

As for @Haile GAZrselassie (Are you Moyesies Ginger Pubes btw?) its difficult to explain my attraction/support to the club, its not a great league but Celtic's identity and history is appealing - just like Everton's.

@BlueNoseMike basically Celtic should do the treble with getting out the CL Group a proper bonus or a good run in the UEFA Cup.

September 13, 2016, 08:45:15 PM
Reply #85

Haile GAZrselassie

Yes @Thomas  I was once MGP.

September 14, 2016, 03:09:23 AM
Reply #86

Cereal Killer

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:10:51 AM by Cereal Killer »

September 14, 2016, 08:20:44 PM
Reply #87

Thomas

September 14, 2016, 08:59:34 PM
Reply #88

Bluedylan

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

September 16, 2016, 05:27:41 AM
Reply #89

Gash

Global Moderator