October 21, 2018, 11:38:28 PM

Author Topic: Scottish Football Thread (SPFL etc)  (Read 20088 times)

August 21, 2016, 02:06:32 AM
Read 20088 times

toffee_scot

Scott Brown sums up the state of Scottish football, one of the top players there even though he's not very good and in his 30's now and never once been seriously linked with a big move.

Except...

http://stv.tv/sport/football/118839-scott-brown-to-leave-celtic-for-everton/

August 21, 2016, 02:55:37 AM
Reply #1

toffee_scot

Well, Rangers/Sevco/NewCO are back (whatever you want to call them) - do you see them challenging for the league championship and other cups this year?

I think Rangers will definitely be at the top end of the table, at the very worst they might finish 3rd. They will expect to have a good run in the cups as well - I expect them to reach at least one final.

Or will Celtic do the full domestic treble with Brendan  Rogers and also progress in the Champions League tonight (vs Hapeol - Israeli team) and further into the competition?

Celtic will be favourites to win the title and I think with Rangers back there will be certainly more motivation and less complacency than the last few seasons. A treble's certainly possible but it just takes one defeat and you're out.

Are their any decent players in that league you would like to sign? (Jason Cummings - Hibs, Dembele/Kieran Tierney -Celtic etc)

I was quite surprised Dembele signed for Celtic, I thought a Premier League club south of the border would have signed him. I must admit, every season I grow less and less interested in Scottish domestic football so I couldn't say who potential stars could be. Although I keep an eye on my local team Aberdeen and players like Niall McGinn and Adam Rooney have done well for the club plus Johnny Hayes and Ryan Jack, I can't see any of them make the step up to the Premier League, in fact Rooney struggled at Championship and League One level down south.

Why is the SPFL so shit despite x2 massive teams playing in it, to the point where Mark Warburton is complaining that Rangers are having to offload players to Championship teams in the UK who pay higher money?

Gash answered that question very well. Overall it all comes down to money available and lack of parties interested in investing in Scottish football especially as there is little they would get in return compared to south of the border. In the Sky era, a lot of money has been invested in the English Premier League and it seems a lot of that money has trickled down to the lower leagues where even some of the poorest League One and even League Two clubs still have more resources and a better football infrastructure than most of the professional Scottish clubs.

Is their anyone in the Scottish National Team you'd like at Everton?

Sadly not really, maybe one or two players like David Marshall and Andrew Robertson but mainly as back up players.

October 28, 2017, 03:36:08 AM
Reply #2

toffee_scot

Always thought Caixinha was a loose cannon and wouldn't last long. Now there's talk Rangers want Derek McInnes from Aberdeen, they can fuck off.

May 13, 2018, 03:06:53 AM
Reply #3

toffee_scot

Genuinely didn't know Steven Naismith was on loan at Hearts until now.

I barely know what goes on in Scottish football these days.

May 14, 2018, 05:12:25 AM
Reply #4

toffee_scot

At least Aberdeen finished 2nd, beating Celtic at Parkhead for the first time in the league since 2004.

The Hibs Rangers game was insane though

July 20, 2018, 02:47:56 AM
Reply #5

toffee_scot

Poor reflection on the game in Scotland when a player leaves the club that finished 2nd and probably the 3rd biggest in the country to go and play for Salford City in the National League.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44877537

Yeah quite disappointed at that especially as he's been a key player for Aberdeen, 5th tier of English football FFS.

The only other name I recognise in the Salford team though is Ibou Touray who used to be an Everton player, he's also picked up a few international caps for Gambia.

August 28, 2018, 01:11:30 AM
Reply #6

toffee_scot

To be fair, I did spell Livingston wrong.  :blush:

Plus you mentioned Clydebank, a football entity that hasn't existed for the past 16 years  ;)

August 28, 2018, 01:22:46 AM
Reply #7

toffee_scot

Strictly speaking they do, they just don't play in the Football League anymore. Ayrshire Juniors now I think?

Which nicely backs up the point I was making. :)

To be fair I think that last iteration of Clydebank kind of merged with the old Airdrieonians club to become Airdrie United which then became Airdrieonians again even though the distance between the two locations is about 20 miles.