November 19, 2017, 11:09:04 AM

Author Topic: Deadline Day  (Read 38949 times)

September 01, 2016, 03:22:12 PM
Reply #1755

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Really can't be dealing with the amount of people that think we were after Hart.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

September 01, 2016, 03:34:51 PM
Reply #1756

Thornton_19

I think it shows how our ambitions as a club have drastically changed. As it was one of our best windows since they summer window existed and we are all dissapointed. Regardless when we are top of the league by 12 points come Jan all the players who turned us down will be gutted.

Up the toffees!

September 01, 2016, 03:35:41 PM
Reply #1757

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

What?
His attitude?

Any evidence?

No actual evidence that's why I said I think ;)

But basing it on Koeman saying we wanted someone who was prepared to fight to be number 1 rather than someone who was an automatic pick.

Makes me think that he didn't want to be seen to be dropping down the PL and take the chance that he'd be dropped again.

Fair enough but doesn't make it too attractive to us given that if his mentality wasn't right and he started making mistakes that would have been really bad news.

The problem is that there was surely someone else out there who would have taken up our position.

Similarly with the sub striker role.

September 01, 2016, 03:38:43 PM
Reply #1758

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

This. While I agree with GLewis that we have a good first team and decent cover - this was supposed to be a transfer window to put us back on the map. The club encouraged this and didn't deliver, that's what's disappointing. Koeman will be fuming - this isn't what he signed up for. Massive pressure on the board/Walsh to produce in January.

Yeah I don't think that we've not done well enough in this window.

More a reminder that we should still be competitive in the season.

Whether we would have been more competitive is another matter.

And while we do have decent cover for most areas keeper and striker, as individual positions are harder to fudge by with if the first choice players aren't doing it for whatever reasons.

September 01, 2016, 03:43:25 PM
Reply #1759

Lxxx

There's also the caveat in that we're all blaming Walsh and the dithering board but what if it was the owner who wanted the marquee signing to make a statement, when if left to his own devices Walsh maybe would have stuck to the strategy that he started with, which was sensible buys who knew the Premier League and we knew they'd want to come?

It's all conjecture but smashing the transfer record on exotic names like Brahimi does smack of a board statement when in reality all we needed was a few solid additions to get us to January.

September 01, 2016, 03:47:28 PM
Reply #1760

dax78

Close thread, time to move on, nothing to see here
Hans segers is a legend ;)

September 01, 2016, 03:48:11 PM
Reply #1761

BlueBeagle

As it was one of our best windows since they summer window existed

Not saying much is it.

We sold one top player, did a few unspectacular deals.

Pretty standard Everton window.

September 01, 2016, 04:05:36 PM
Reply #1762

Vespa

Difficult to attract players with no euro football. The players we missed out on won't be good enough for Everton in 2-3 years time.

September 01, 2016, 04:36:27 PM
Reply #1763

ally2

I don't think koeman would have been here if that was the model we were looking for. In the latter part of the moves era it was fairly obvious we had a sell to buy model, or for a large part of that time sell to ease the banks and get some loans in.

That's not the case now, there's no way the plan was to have a negative net spend and sell stones to fund some signings. In a strange way if we had still been in that model and sold stones then strengthened with stekelnburg, Williams, gueye, bolasie then a squad striker it would have been a good window the problem was the expectations.

I know moshiri kept quiet in the media until his late flurry of texts to Jim White, hopefully he won't be doing that again. However the echo is normally a good soundbite for what the club is feeding as are a few other journalists and they were all saying times are changing, he wants a marquee signing, 100m to spend etc to give us a chance of the champions league. He paid 5m for koeman, gave him 6-7m a year that showed he means business, same as getting Walsh from Leicester and the people we were after.

We definitely will have spoken to hart, we went after Witsel, I don't doubt mata was a target, probably thought brahimi was done, then the big move for sissokho. All these kind of players shows he wanted to bring in expensive players that would make others think that's a big signing for them.

With regards to Walsh he has been in the role a month-6 weeks? You can't say the DOF model isn't working yet because that was a long term change not just for transfers. That's a model to give a consistent model at the club for recruitment, developing players and strategies for long term beyond the current signings and manager etc.

We do need to look at what went wrong because we didn't get so many players that we tried for for varying reasons. On top of that there are some really embarrassing moments, the sissokho debacle of sat waiting for him, thinking ghezzal is coming for a medical then when he isn't sending him pictures of players houses to convince him! Come on, if the guy only wants to come because mirallas has a big house and a gold Bentley then don't really want him here and I'm glad he still turned us down after that. So we really need to look at did we aim too high, nothing wrong with that in my opinion but then if you are aiming high you can't wait as long as we did on some people and if we are going to we have to make sure the backup signings are really solid. So if we went for Witsel and hart but Witsel had options and hart was waiting to see pep was really shunting him out then make sure begovic is a definite alternative.

We still have a good team and some decent backups in areas, we still have a good manager who will get us organised and seems to want to play a style that the fans at Goodson relate to. We still have some good young players in the background with a good coach coaching them in rhino. We still have an owner who seems ambitious, Walsh will have been in the role for a period of time come January or next summer so he will be settled in and between all of them hopefully they will have learnt from this summer to make sure we do our business in a much better fashion and we still should have a good season with what we've got so hopefully we are aiming for players when we've finished much higher up the league than we have for the last 2 years.

It's just frustrating in parts because we could have done more, we could have sorted the keeper, could have sorted a good second forward and if we'd got brahimi for the left I think he'd have been a really good player for us offering something a bit different. So i understand why people are a bit annoyed, but doesn't mean once we get back into action at Sunderland our expectations for the season should drop and can still hope for a successful season.

Like I can be assed to read all that. You should write proper articles instead.