April 04, 2020, 06:49:46 PM

Author Topic: Mason Holgate  (Read 12958 times)

March 04, 2020, 05:08:32 PM
Reply #240

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
It’ll be more than 38k a week.

I’m thinking around 60-80k.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

March 04, 2020, 05:40:50 PM
Reply #241

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
In the interest of balance i didnt rate him, nobody's poifect
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 04, 2020, 06:18:39 PM
Reply #242

Waltzer

That's just reporting the fee when he originally signed for us.
Oh yeah, obvious when you read it back!!!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

March 04, 2020, 07:20:59 PM
Reply #243

Dr. Sponge

I thought he was a good footballer but he wouldnt make it because of his stature.

Fair play to the lad, love him. Dont like his accent but I can see past that.

March 04, 2020, 11:02:32 PM
Reply #244

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
I love the way he has come in this season. He always had that casual elegance bordering on arrogance on the ball but I had worried he wouldn't be physical for a CB. He has added that and has a bit of snidey niggle in him which is always a good thing! Him and DCL are the big pluses of an otherwise underwhelming season on the pitch.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

March 05, 2020, 02:26:40 AM
Reply #245

pjk

NSNO Subscriber
As Tacitus said: "To plunder, butcher, steal, these things they misname empire: they make a desolation and they call it peace."

March 05, 2020, 02:34:44 AM
Reply #246

Thornton_19

In the interest of balance i didnt rate him, nobody's poifect
Same mate. Thought he had no chance at the club long term. Absolutely made up to be proven wrong.

March 05, 2020, 02:48:49 AM
Reply #247

KoemansNumberTens

I proclaimed him better than stones after a great game against ibra in a friendly against Man U. Obviously the best judge of a young player on the forum

March 05, 2020, 02:51:56 AM
Reply #248

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I proclaimed him better than stones after a great game against ibra in a friendly against Man U. Obviously the best judge of a young player on the forum

I remember that actually, he man handled ibra.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 05, 2020, 03:18:48 AM
Reply #249

Macca77

The loan at West Brom did him the world of good

March 06, 2020, 11:03:28 PM
Reply #250

Waltzer

https://www.footballinsider247.com/revealed-everton-have-agreed-terms-of-19-4m-deal-plus-bonuses/

A Everton source has told Football Insider that Holgate has signed a £70,000-a-week deal plus top-up bonuses.

March 06, 2020, 11:37:58 PM
Reply #251

ajax_andy

https://www.footballinsider247.com/revealed-everton-have-agreed-terms-of-19-4m-deal-plus-bonuses/

A Everton source has told Football Insider that Holgate has signed a £70,000-a-week deal plus top-up bonuses.

Sounds about right, should keep him happy for a while and hopefully he continues to develop to the point we need to offer him an even bigger one!

March 30, 2020, 09:52:41 PM
Reply #252

Evertonian in NC

New Athletic article:

https://theathletic.com/1705881/2020/03/30/mason-holgate-everton-ancelotti-england/

Mason Holgate’s 2019-20 season is one that few saw coming.

Just last season, with regular first-team chances at Goodison few and far between, Holgate was largely plying his trade as a right wing-back on loan at West Brom.

Upon his return to Goodison Park in the summer, Everton pursued deals for Kurt Zouma and then Fiyako Tomori (on loan) as Marco Silva sought another central defender to compete with Michael Keane and Yerry Mina.

Had either of those moves come off, Holgate would likely have started the campaign as fourth-choice and in a state of limbo as far as his next steps were concerned.

Two transfer windows later, however, the former Barnsley defender finds himself indispensable to Carlo Ancelotti, starting 10 of the last 11 games and recently signing a new contract on improved terms through to 2025.

The new deal was just rewards for a breakthrough season in which he has won the trust of a succession of managers and has arguably been Everton’s best central defender.

Not only has he proven his worth to Ancelotti, who has identified him as a future captain, but he has also entered into England contention and piqued the interest of a host of Premier League clubs.

Predominantly right-footed, Holgate finds himself playing regularly at left centre-back for the first time in his career at senior level. Despite most managers’ preference for left-footed players on that side of the defence, Holgate has slotted in at ease, bringing a mix of short, long and progressive passing to the position.

When comparing Holgate’s performances at left centre-back with Keane and Mina, there are a number of clues as to why he’s made the position his own. For a start, he is the most comfortable centre back of the three when it comes to carrying the ball out from the back.

Mason Holgate, Everton, carries, defenders

That dribbling ability was highlighted best against Brighton earlier in the season when Holgate picked up the ball past halfway, carried it into the final third and slipped in Dominic Calvert-Lewin to slot home.

It was an assist that showed Holgate’s passing ability and how, at his best, he gets his weight of pass just right.

Holgate does the bulk of his work — as most defenders do — in the defensive and middle thirds of the field and his passing accuracy in those areas is better than Mina and Keane’s.

That ability to both retain possession and break the lines with passes or dribbles is at least part of the reason why Southgate and England have been following his progress over the past few months with a view to a potential call-up. Holgate’s regular inclusion at England under-21 level over the past couple of years also lends itself favourably when considering Southgate’s desire to reward those who have progressed through the ranks.

The Yorkshireman isn’t just a safe passer. He may attempt fewer progressive passes than Keane or Mina — those that move the team upfield by 10 metres or more — but he makes more of them compared to the other two when playing at left centre-back. For Ancelotti, playing Holgate on the left frees up either Mina or Keane to play on the right, where they’re both seemingly more comfortable.

The 23-year-old has good passing range and, while his completion of these types of passes is lower than Yerry Mina’s (although remember that, according to The 10 Commandments, pass completion rate is a flawed metric), he elects to go long with a higher proportion of his passes than both Mina and Keane.

While a lot of stats for defenders are more indicative of the system in which they play, Holgate may want to improve the number of times he aims to play the ball forwards through the lines.

Looking through the clips of these types of passes, plenty of them are in games where the team is either very far behind (as in the 4-0 defeat by Chelsea) or chasing a game where the opponent’s structure is very loose (such as the 3-2 defeat by Arsenal).

After the 1-0 cup defeat to a much-changed Liverpool side in January, Ancelotti made all of his defenders fully aware of the need to better penetrate the opposition lines, highlighting the importance of extra bravery in possession in a series of team meetings.

Although not exclusive to the defence, the idea was to introduce more “verticality” into Everton’s play in order to quickly release the likes of Richarlison, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Theo Walcott in forward areas.

The three most common recipients of passes from Holgate since Ancelotti has arrived are Yerry Mina (84), Jordan Pickford (79) and Fabian Delph (74), with the majority of each of these passes being received in Everton’s own half. Currently, we’re blind as to whether these passes are under pressure or not but the sheer volume indicates a player who is capable of playing through the lines, yet perhaps isn’t trying it as often as he could.

On the defensive side, Holgate is certainly more on the active side of things. He attempts the most tackles and wins duels in the air and on the ground at similar rates to Michael Keane, a player of considerably larger stature physically. Mina stands out in this regard — hardly surprising given his size — winning more tackles (based on true tackle win-rate) and aerials than both Keane and Holgate.

Shorn of the extra pace of Zouma, Mina and Keane started the campaign as the favoured partnership at the back for Everton. Yet after a promising start, the pair’s lack of pace quickly came to the fore and was exploited with regularity in games against Aston Villa and Bournemouth among others.

While both Mina and Keane are ideally suited to playing in a low block, Holgate’s recovery pace adds a necessary counterweight in the centre of defence, allowing Ancelotti to play a slightly higher line.

Away from the statistics, intangibles such as temperament also come into the equation. In times of struggle, Holgate has shown blossoming develop leadership qualities, sticking up for team-mates on the pitch when needed and barking orders at the rest of the defence. Even in tough times, such as the galling 3-2 away defeat to Brighton over the winter, Holgate has always been one of the first in the dressing room to front up and face the media.

That varied skill set has already endeared him to Ancelotti. “Mason can be one of the top defenders, in my opinion. Is he a future Everton captain? Potentially, yes,” the Italian said recently.

All things considered, you can see why Holgate and Mina might be Everton’s best defensive partnership moving forward — at least until the end of this season. And of the two, it is Holgate who is currently the most secure of his spot in the side.

Everton, though, still feel that they are one short in central defence, and are already weighing up moves for another option to play on the left side. The Athletic understands there is firm interest in Lille’s Gabriel Magalhaes, a left-footed Brazilian who has impressed in Ligue 1 this season, but that other defenders across Europe are also being weighed up.

The arrival of a new man will undoubtedly ramp up the competition at Goodison but on the evidence of Holgate’s form this season, it is Everton’s other central defensive options who should be most nervously looking over their shoulder this summer.
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin

March 30, 2020, 10:42:04 PM
Reply #253

Evertonian in NC

As to the captaincy, I'd like to see Holgate lead us out of the tunnel whenever the 2020-21 season kicks off.  He's got the intellect, and the right attitude.  Signals how young players at EFC will be promoted to important roles based on merit.
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin