October 23, 2019, 12:06:43 AM

Author Topic: [News]Bramley Moore Dock update  (Read 474420 times)

July 03, 2019, 02:35:05 PM
Reply #4530

Alanvideo

Aaah, so the bullens is the like the "black hole" for Raiders fans. Sticking with the pirate theme and all.  ;)
........................those pesky kopites who go in the away section have been known to compare the Bullens to the Mary Rose.  :hmph:
We are special ,we are Everton.

July 03, 2019, 07:38:47 PM
Reply #4531

Macca77

July 03, 2019, 08:21:10 PM
Reply #4532

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, there'll be a sudden bout of loud defenders of the world heritage site over the next year or so.

Coincidentally, the majority of them wouldn't have a clue where any of the borders to the site are once you left pier head.

July 03, 2019, 08:51:42 PM
Reply #4533

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Hello there, my name is Tad and I am from Kentucky.

Can you tell me, where is your world famous dilapidated grain silo and abandoned dockland?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 03, 2019, 09:08:51 PM
Reply #4534

Macca77

Why have you visited Liverpool today, are you here to see the Albert Dock, the Liver Buildings, The Beatles museum, Matthew Street etc.....?

"No, I'm here because of the World Heritage status"

July 03, 2019, 09:11:03 PM
Reply #4535

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Where does one browse popular UNESCO world heritage status destinations in order to book a holiday?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 03, 2019, 09:19:39 PM
Reply #4536

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Where does one browse popular UNESCO world heritage status destinations in order to book a holiday?

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/

Quite a few are on my list, to be fair.

July 03, 2019, 09:29:48 PM
Reply #4537

D15TIN

Is Telford on your list? That's on there.

July 03, 2019, 10:34:30 PM
Reply #4538

Smithers

Just been down a rabbit hole after clicking that link there!
I clicked on that link assuming that it might provide some data on how many people are booking holidays, or visiting UNESCO sites, on the merit of their holiday destination being a UNESCO site. Can't say i found what I was after.

I then clicked the 'about us' link, which reads what UNESCO hope to achieve. Amongst other objectives, this includes:

'Heritage Convention and to ensure the protection of their natural and cultural heritage;

Encourage States Parties to establish management plans and set up reporting systems on the state of conservation of their World Heritage sites;

Help States Parties safeguard World Heritage properties by providing technical assistance and professional training;

Provide emergency assistance for World Heritage sites in immediate danger;

Support States Parties' public awareness-building activities for World Heritage conservation;

Encourage participation of the local population in the preservation of their cultural and natural heritage;"

As I understand that, UNESCO don't provide much themselves: there's no funding provided, I don't think, and couldn't find any info on Google about it. So UNESCO serve to, mostly, provide the world heritage status itself, act as an overseer to who does and doesn't get said status, and then try to encourage states to preserve and maintain the site in question, so that the status is maintained. And if it's not maintained, they will provide 'emergency assistance'. Although it's not stipulated as to whether this assistance is financial in nature or not.

As I understand it, then, Liverpool got its status not too long ago, but presumably it would've come with some guidance and parameters from UNESCO..."make sure the local government maintains and upkeeps the sites", etc....which hasn't really happened. Peel have done their own thing, mostly, and why wouldn't they as a business first and foremost. Presumably, this endangered the status further.

The council, peel, whoever, it would seem, have done nothing to 'maintain or preserve' Bramley Moore specifically. If anything, Everton should be applauded for their own preservation efforts, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm assuming these things from all this reading:

- Liverpool's UNESCO status was at risk  before Everton made Bramley Moore enquiries

- Peel's own business developments and Peel's / the council's lack of 'maintaining' or 'preserving' dock sites like Bramley Moore will have impacted on this downgrading further

- Peel's expansions, I assume, will have had a significantly more positive financial impact on Liverpool's trade and employment levels than UNESCO's seal of approval.

So even though I could be wrong (and I could be, to be fair, need to read more on it) but it's safe to assume that Everton - a business, like Peel, but with arguably a more positive track record on community development and treatment of local points of historical interest (see: treatment of Bill Shankly post retirement, arf arf arf) would be a lot more positive to the city...and to the actual maintenance and preservation of Bramley Moore itself...than holding onto what seems like a status that was already a bit thin on the ground as it was.

Went on a bit there sorry, baby's asleep isn't he. Feel free to shoot me down here, pro-unesco dudes, need to read more on it later I think.

Tldr: Big Joe's not always wrong

July 03, 2019, 10:48:17 PM
Reply #4539

Alanvideo

Is Telford on your list? That's on there.
..............the Ironbridge Gorge is a very interesting  place  if you like that kind of thing. Not everyone's idea of a day out like ! It earned its UNESCO status over a 30 year period and I'm sure it has increased visitor numbers. 
Liverpool however has no need to bow down to UNESCO and should call their bluff.
We are special ,we are Everton.

July 04, 2019, 12:03:08 AM
Reply #4540

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

July 05, 2019, 10:51:06 PM
Reply #4541

oscar

Just been on the liver building tour,the view of Bramley-Moore dock is fantastic.
Canít wait for the building work to begin

July 06, 2019, 09:34:24 AM
Reply #4542

boothill

Ancient city of babylon, only today named as a world heritage site by unesco. Who'd have thought the BMD could get that label years before, find it amazing

Sent from my POT-LX1 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

July 06, 2019, 01:07:17 PM
Reply #4543

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Ancient city of babylon, only today named as a world heritage site by unesco. Who'd have thought the BMD could get that label years before, find it amazing

Sent from my POT-LX1 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Ironically it has fake gates marking the front of the site :)

July 07, 2019, 01:14:34 PM
Reply #4544

Paddockoldie

The fucking state of this,

https://twitter.com/mrsrosney/status/1146311472047362048

In other news. Millions stay away from London after they realise they won't meet the Queen whilst there. "No point in going to look at the historical sites if you can't meet HRH is there"? Tourist boards in Rome fear the spread and have asked the Pope to think about doing more.