July 16, 2019, 03:06:22 PM

Author Topic: [News]Bramley Moore Dock update  (Read 420523 times)

dangermouse, gizzblue and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

June 16, 2019, 12:59:20 PM
Reply #120

Toddacelli

Colin Chong though man. Haha.

All sounds a bit tongue in Cheech to me...

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

June 23, 2019, 05:28:58 AM
Reply #121

Toddacelli

There's no set plan but there is a legacy committee planned (may actually exist now) who will deal with it all and ensure L4 gets value, not just Everton get the highest price

Thinking there will be a mix of business, residential and community use but no idea in what percentages

Would actually be good if Everton in the Community looked into a dementia community there as they already do great work with people living with dementia and could extend that.

Said it before, but those dementia communities are a great idea. Who ever came up with that idea can have free cups of tea for life at my house.

June 28, 2019, 05:17:24 PM
Reply #122

Toddacelli

Th
Mad the way joe Anderson is allowed to go round town, knocking down public parks for a couple of student flats, yet the blues want to build a new stadium on a derelict site and it’s a travesty?

We’re literally turning hundred year old warehouses into luxury apartments right across the road. What’s the issue with this like?

This is what pisses me off. How many visitors is BMD currently generating on an annual basis? Just fuck off.

June 29, 2019, 05:01:53 AM
Reply #123

Toddacelli

World Heritage status isn't something easily come by - there are only 26 others in the UK.
Has anyone bothered to read why Liverpool is on the list?
If you have, or do, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the development of Peel land to be sensitive to the area's status. There's a bigger commercial, historic and cultural world out there beyond our club and we need to respect that.
We want this site because it is an iconic location so let's not let the rest of the world think that to get it we say  f**k the heritage site next door.

There's not many fans in the world blessed with as much history and heritage as us Blues, so I am sure we all appreciate the opportunity and are aware that this is a project that will include a degree of sensitivity to the existing surroundings.

What pisses me off is the knee-jerk preservation of something nobody sees for no good reason just because it is a certain age or holds a certain status.

If I was Mr Unesco and someone came to me and said they wanted to build on a site like BMD and regenerate the area, I would say "Show me how you will add to the site and we'll talk."

You need to keep an open mind and if someone can enhance a site then they should be given the opportunity to do so. There will inevitably be compromises and their should be a line beyond which it is decided that the project does not enhance the site so it shouldn't go ahead. But if we can keep and work with as much as possible and also regenerate the area then a few small sacrifices should be weighed in as part of the cost.

June 29, 2019, 02:57:49 PM
Reply #124

Toddacelli

The question I want to ask is - who is it preserved for if nobody sees it?

If nobody sees it, visits it or even knows it's there, then it isn't a preserved heritage site - it's just a no-go zone.

July 07, 2019, 03:21:53 PM
Reply #125

Toddacelli

https://twitter.com/mrsrosney/status/1146311472047362048

The 'How about the rest of us?' and 'How about the jobs in tourism?' parts are particularly odious.

No-one who has looked at the plan for BMD is under any illusion that this will not create jobs, in tourism and other areas, for the rest of us. It will regenerate the area for the rest of us. It will breathe new life into a derelict part of the city for the rest of us. That amount of totally new jobs in an area with unemployment will give a lot of new people opportunities which will boost the economy for the rest of us.

Unless I missed the bit about only employing Evertonians in all the new buildings and businesses that this creates?

July 10, 2019, 02:14:15 AM
Reply #126

Toddacelli

Interesting how our views are formed because we have a vested interest.
UNESCO ridiculed, everything brought down to money through tourism and regeneration etc.
Where's the concern about preserving the city's / country's history?
Both sides of the argument are important so why not more discussion about how history is balanced with the needs of modern life? This thread rather reinforces the view many people, have of PL football clubs - selfish, greedy and a f**k you attitude to anything that we don't like.
One of the things that lifts our club above so many others is our commitment to 'community'  - it's a shame it isn't reflected more by our fans in threads like this

I've been vocal about progress on this thread. I also care about heritage and history a great deal.

Have I thrown my principles away for personal gain and perceived financial benefits?

Nope.

The reason I am totally comfortable with this is specific to the site. Currently it serves no benefit, is part of no tourism, has no visitors and zero education is carried out at the site.

My preference is that we turn the site into somewhere that has thousands and thousands of visitors each week AND ALSO helps educate those visitors on the history of the site.

If no one sees it - who are we preserving it for?

July 11, 2019, 12:38:08 AM
Reply #127

Toddacelli

That's all I'm asking - development of our site also helps to preserve some of the history for future generations to see. There is room to respect all views and accommodate some of everything.

I agree with you 100% here. I just get frustrated when you look at what the site is now, who's interested in  it and how many visitors it currently gets.

Surely anybody wanting to develop the site and bring visitors in is a good thing?

You just say "Don't touch that, restore that, that has to stay, that can go, show me your plans to preserve the history for future generations." And then, a few compromises aside, everyone should win.

It's these fucking kopites who pick up on the fact it's a world heritage site and then without even knowing what it is - try to fuck us with it. Makes my blood boil.

July 13, 2019, 12:15:23 PM
Reply #128

Toddacelli

And redshite fans who thonk they know everything about World heritage.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

They do thonk rather than think, some of them.

What a perfect word for it!

July 13, 2019, 12:20:16 PM
Reply #129

Toddacelli

After posting another picture of a big blue wave...

https://twitter.com/Meisarch/status/1149788066858643462

Do you know what though - Meis must be well fucking confident to be dicking around with it on social media so much.

The Americans will lap up his designs over there because they generally have a positive, get behind it approach when new things arrive.

I don't know what experience he has had in other parts of the world but I'm not sure he's ready for the full on British football fan splashback when it happens.

July 13, 2019, 10:44:46 PM
Reply #130

Toddacelli

Splashback ? Is there such a word as Sunamiback ?

I was thinking splashback because most of us will be happy going in the bowl but there's always some that splash back!

10 hours ago
Reply #131

Toddacelli

think it could be an interesting rake to it

like a shallow rake at the front, and then a really steep one at the back?

Taking inspiration from the maritime history all around it. We'll end up calling it Goodison-by-the-Sea!

10 hours ago
Reply #132

Toddacelli

And @brap2 - believe it's actually happening yet?