October 23, 2017, 09:59:31 PM

Author Topic: Big clubs build stadiums.  (Read 2163 times)

September 15, 2016, 08:45:15 AM
Read 2163 times

Blue Streak

So I've been listening to a lot of we've got a big stand waffle lately.
Made me think, does a stand make a big club?
Then wondered how many grounds that our local teams have built, or will build.
No surprise really, Everton built 2, l,pool built none, possible Everton build 3, lpool none.
:)))))))))

deCoubertin

September 15, 2016, 03:28:50 PM
Reply #1

Mayor Farnum

Villa have improved their stadium stand by stand over the years. I think they have a modern stadium that has maintained a good atmosphere and looks and feels traditional.
Give me Villa Park over West Ham's new stadium any day.

September 15, 2016, 05:38:56 PM
Reply #2

Bingham Boy

It'll be interested to see how big Everton believe we can become on this new stadium.

A stadium of 55000 is all well and good but that will just putting us on a par with the rest, I expect Everton to know that, so I wonder by how much they will allow the stadium to design too?

Will we dare to allow it to expand to 80000 for it to become the biggest club stadium in England?

You can guarantee though that there'll be kopites shitting themselves over the size that Everton can become. They'll be on every forum going in disguise trying play down us even going beyond the initial 55000.

September 15, 2016, 06:09:06 PM
Reply #3

Alanvideo

It'll be interested to see how big Everton believe we can become on this new stadium.

A stadium of 55000 is all well and good but that will just putting us on a par with the rest, I expect Everton to know that, so I wonder by how much they will allow the stadium to design too?

Will we dare to allow it to expand to 80000 for it to become the biggest club stadium in England?

You can guarantee though that there'll be kopites shitting themselves over the size that Everton can become. They'll be on every forum going in disguise trying play down us even going beyond the initial 55000.
..............We've got about 35,000 match-going fans ,add to that another 5 to 10,000 who would go if they could get decent seats. Add in the away fans and newbies who would be attracted by a new stadium. In my opinion 55,000 is a realistic capacity.
If this new stadium ever comes ,the nature of matchday will be changed forever ; no more cosy Goodison and queuing up for chips and trying to get served in dingy pubs ,tea in St.Lukes and bumping into the same faces every game.
Several people on here ,notably Thomas ,have said we should remain in the Walton area to keep our soul and identity. I can't see that happening but I'm beginning to see their point of view. I don't want us to suffer what is happening to West Ham fans ( although they are twats ). I don't care whether we have the biggest and shiniest stadium in the land ,I just want us to do well on the field.
Any new stadium has to be in keeping with our tradition or it just won't be our Everton anymore.
We are special ,we are Everton.

September 15, 2016, 06:12:37 PM
Reply #4

Bloo_Moo

I agree the club have to be ambitious, however 80,000 seems too big for me.
Personally I think 60,000 initially with a view to increasing in the future. People may be sceptical but who's saying the club won't keep the present ticket prices, or even reduce them to help fill the ground. As we all know clubs don't rely on gate receipts any more. Doing a bit of maths (40,000x40 (about average full price ticket) x 19 games per season) ticket income comes to, at the very most, 30m compared to TV income of 100m+.

For what it's worth I think because of the transport links a stadium just off the East Lancs would be ideal. New grounds are mostly built with plenty of space around. If it was in the Docklands I wouldn't say no though.

http://www.camatic.com/stadium/projects/donbass-arena.aspx I'll have one of these in royal blue nod

There are arguments for and against this though.

September 15, 2016, 06:20:35 PM
Reply #5

Bingham Boy

I agree the club have to be ambitious, however 80,000 seems too big for me.
Personally I think 60,000 initially with a view to increasing in the future. People may be sceptical but who's saying the club won't keep the present ticket prices, or even reduce them to help fill the ground. As we all know clubs don't rely on gate receipts any more. Doing a bit of maths (40,000x40 (about average full price ticket) x 19 games per season) ticket income comes to, at the very most, 30m compared to TV income of 100m+.

For what it's worth I think because of the transport links a stadium just off the East Lancs would be ideal. New grounds are mostly built with plenty of space around. If it was in the Docklands I wouldn't say no though.

http://www.camatic.com/stadium/projects/donbass-arena.aspx I'll have one of these in royal blue nod

There are arguments for and against this though.

55000, or even 60000 max should definitely be the starting point.

However, it must be able to expand from that though, we want to be one day breaking into regular Champions League footy, regular success, biggest name players, we are still a few notches  away from that level, but that is where we should be aiming to be one day, notch by notch. A new stadium is the starting point, it must be able to expand.

80000 is my preference for the ultimate size it can reach, in stages.

September 15, 2016, 06:25:13 PM
Reply #6

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I think anything over 50,000 is pushing it tbh for the time being.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

September 15, 2016, 06:25:18 PM
Reply #7

Heisenberg

Im up for anything, except bowls.

NO BOWL STADIUMS

September 15, 2016, 06:48:33 PM
Reply #8

Captain Sarcasm

I'd agree with the vast majority of the comments so far in that anything around the 55,000-60,000 capacity mark is about right.

The design of the stadium itself is important, especially the proximity of the crowd to the pitch itself. Just look at West Ham - whilst the stadium is very nice the fact the fans are about 30 yards away from the pitch means they have lost what advantage they had over away teams with the home fans baying for blood! Upton Park and Goodison were similar in that regard. We don't want to lose the atmosphere that we create at Goodison which makes it such a special place for us and our players and such an intimidating place to play for away teams.

Something similar to the design of the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff would be right in my view. Fans close to the pitch and great views and an almost cauldron feel to it.

September 15, 2016, 07:02:08 PM
Reply #9

Gary1878

55,000 is right. You could easily sell 40,000 season tickets in a new stadium. Alongside that, I would think another 10,000 at least would attend random games. The rest would be for away fans.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:03:23 PM by Gary1878 »

September 15, 2016, 07:04:13 PM
Reply #10

SteB

I reckon it should be as steep as we're allowed to go, fans as close to the pitch as we can be, acoustics should be integral to the design from the beginning, we should have a safe standing area at both ends and it should have a capacity of around 60,000 with a possibility of growing it should we need to. Oh, and it should be on the waterfront next to the Royal Blue Mersey.

September 15, 2016, 07:05:33 PM
Reply #11

School of Science

55,000, to 60,000, but with the proviso it could be expanded. Who would have thought west ham could sell out their stadium.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

September 15, 2016, 07:40:01 PM
Reply #12

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

I think anything over 50,000 is pushing it tbh for the time being.

I'd have said so 5-10 years ago.

But building at 50,000 puts us just ahead of Sunderland and still being some way behind Newcatsle, Spurs, West Ham, Liverpool, City, Utd, Arsenal and probably whatever Chelsea do too.

That's mid table stuff.

Now there's clearly no point whacking in 80,000 but we've at least got to put ourselves on par with that group otherwise I think we've left ourselves short.

September 15, 2016, 07:41:36 PM
Reply #13

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Particularly if the running costs of an extra 5-10,000 seats aren't significantly different.

I think people get too hung up a about not selling out every game.

If we built 60,000 and averaged 52-55 it wouldn't seem that bad as most of the empty seats would likely be well away from the pitch.

September 15, 2016, 08:29:29 PM
Reply #14

Alanvideo

55,000, to 60,000, but with the proviso it could be expanded. Who would have thought west ham could sell out their stadium.
............they made sure by offering cheap season tickets starting at 289. Will be interesting to see if their crowds hold up.
We are special ,we are Everton.