May 25, 2017, 03:39:01 PM

Author Topic: January 2017 Transfer Window  (Read 158210 times)

November 15, 2016, 03:16:11 AM
Reply #15

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Anything less than 3 would surely mean we've not rectified the problems of the summer.

Expecting a minimum of 3 quality signings is way too optimistic I feel.

There's not that much of a market in January to create that sort of traffic.

November 15, 2016, 04:32:11 AM
Reply #16

Toddacelli

I hear what people are saying, but I'd like to be a bit more vague - if I may...

We need a stronger spine - at CB, DM, ACM & a decent CF who won't make us shit our pants if Lukaku is injured or when he moves on.

We have several decent wingers on both sides when they are in form and good enough full-backs (for Jan window at least) but a solid spine would would make us a good top 7 side.

On top of that - I've said it before and I'll say it again - we could do with signing some LEADERS on the pitch. Top sides have more than one captain/leader/talker/organiser in the first 11 and we are desperately in need of this. Although, it seems a lot of players are these days, I think standing up for what you believe in, even if it goes against the manager, is slowly being coached out of young players these days.

Above all else, I think two positions are key and should be priority - replacement for Barry and replacement/support for Lukaku.

If we sort those two in Jan I'll be over the fucking super-moon!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

November 15, 2016, 04:39:07 AM
Reply #17

Ross

NSNO Subscriber
Expecting a minimum of 3 quality signings is way too optimistic I feel.

There's not that much of a market in January to create that sort of traffic.

But if we don't fill the 3 positions Koeman wanted last summer in the next window it'll mean we go into next summer a year behind where he wants the squad. Possibly even further back depending on his original ideas for this coming windows strategy.

And for a manger who's very time sensitive it'd be a massive setback.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

November 15, 2016, 05:48:48 AM
Reply #18

kramer0

https://m.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/5cz0r9/brendan_galloways_seasonlong_west_brom_loan_deal/

Would love to have him back. Oviedo has been solid after taking a few games to settle, but I think I prefer Galloway's size and athleticism. I thought he did well last season given the difficult task of defending an entire side of the pitch.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:55:46 AM by kramer0 »

November 15, 2016, 01:07:13 PM
Reply #19

indiantoffee1975

Can't see us spending money uneccessarily in January. Utilise the loan market, possibly Depay and another striker on loan perhaps or for a small outlay. I don't forsee much movement in this window.

November 15, 2016, 02:14:29 PM
Reply #20

Hawkandro

I reckon we've already got a couple of players lined up, mistakes were made during the summer and Walsh won't want a repeat of that

I hope so. If we squander another window throwing random bids in left, right and centre with nothing to show for it, then serious questions will need to be asked.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

November 15, 2016, 02:16:47 PM
Reply #21

Macca77

I hope so. If we squander another window throwing random bids in left, right and centre with nothing to show for it, then serious questions will need to be asked.

Lessons will of been learnt from that in the summer, its not a secret that Koeman was fuming that we failed to bring in the players he wanted

November 15, 2016, 02:16:57 PM
Reply #22

Alanvideo

We are special ,we are Everton.

November 15, 2016, 02:17:03 PM
Reply #23

Hawkandro

https://m.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/5cz0r9/brendan_galloways_seasonlong_west_brom_loan_deal/

Would love to have him back. Oviedo has been solid after taking a few games to settle, but I think I prefer Galloway's size and athleticism. I thought he did well last season given the difficult task of defending an entire side of the pitch.

I would have kept Galloway and rotated him/played with Baines is injured and allowed Oviedo to leave.

November 15, 2016, 02:18:06 PM
Reply #24

Hawkandro

Lessons will of been learnt from that in the summer, its not a secret that Koeman was fuming that we failed to bring in the players he wanted

Am I being too naive to think we have the players lined up and that we will just go out and get them at the earliest opportunity, especially with the AFCON starting?

November 15, 2016, 02:36:01 PM
Reply #25

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Am I being too naive to think we have the players lined up and that we will just go out and get them at the earliest opportunity, especially with the AFCON starting?

Yes.

;)

In all seriousness though, we know that a lot of transfers, especially for good players, often depend on the selling team being able to bring in a replacement.

We also know that there isn't much movement in January anywhere therefore finding enough quality players who are available and are not dependent on a transfer chain is unlikely to be easy.

November 15, 2016, 02:38:18 PM
Reply #26

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

But if we don't fill the 3 positions Koeman wanted last summer in the next window it'll mean we go into next summer a year behind where he wants the squad. Possibly even further back depending on his original ideas for this coming windows strategy.

And for a manger who's very time sensitive it'd be a massive setback.

The winter window isn't an ideal window for pretty sizeable transfer quotas.

We might have to compromise on quality to get the numbers which isn't ideal but there's not much we can do about it.

With that in mind I can see why a loan deal is being mooted for Depay as they'll be happy to let him out without a replacement and we're not committing long term.

November 15, 2016, 02:58:17 PM
Reply #27

Grand Master C

I think we are going to be mostly looking at loans with an option to buy. The likes of Schneiderlin and Depay who need to be put in the shop window, but would at the very least be pushing at our starting 11. I could see us getting a couple of young lads in for next year, like we did with Stones, if Walsh has been following the lower leagues. I donīt think we will be pulling up any trees though, its just not worth the cost in January it you are not fighting it out at the top or bottom.

For me the priority is cover for Barry/Gana. I am bricking the AcoN when we have to try and get Barry to play every game, stay fit and not get the obligatory yellows !

November 15, 2016, 03:12:41 PM
Reply #28

Alanvideo

..............I'd like to think so but the better players will have offers from more than one club.
We are special ,we are Everton.

November 15, 2016, 05:56:06 PM
Reply #29

Ross

NSNO Subscriber
The winter window isn't an ideal window for pretty sizeable transfer quotas.

We might have to compromise on quality to get the numbers which isn't ideal but there's not much we can do about it.

With that in mind I can see why a loan deal is being mooted for Depay as they'll be happy to let him out without a replacement and we're not committing long term.

I wouldn't have thought 3 incoming players was to much to ask for this window. In fact given how we broke even in the summer I'd have thought there's enough cash in reserve for a blowout even if we have payed off the long term debt with the new tv money.

I guess it's how we prioritise the positions we fell short of filling, which we know were goalkeeper, a midfielder and an attacker. We really wouldn't want to be going into next summer having failed again to fill these gaps and possibly be losing Lukaku and still relying on Jags and Barry every week.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.