February 21, 2017, 04:23:48 AM

Author Topic: January 2017 Transfer Window  (Read 149419 times)

January 12, 2017, 01:40:55 AM
Reply #2085

Danny

January 12, 2017, 01:56:47 AM
Reply #2086

Craig_1878

Quite excited by Belfodil, it sounds like another Walsh moneyball signing, long may it continue.

"Sunday Bloody Sunday. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!"- Alan Partridge

January 12, 2017, 02:04:04 AM
Reply #2087

Trowel

NSNO Subscriber
Are these really all Walsh signings? What did we call Walsh signings before Walsh arrived?
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

January 12, 2017, 02:05:13 AM
Reply #2088

Robioto

Are these really all Walsh signings? What did we call Walsh signings before Walsh arrived?

The inept Martinez signings.

January 12, 2017, 02:08:55 AM
Reply #2089

ally2

I still think it's too soon for Walshy.  Scout track players for years don't they?  Surely the remit here is to give the team strength and reliability (Gueye and Schneiderlin), a back up and/or foil for Lukaku, something for the future (Lookman) plus whatever else quality is available.  Those magic signings that we expect will surely happen in afew years time.

January 12, 2017, 02:11:45 AM
Reply #2090

christiffa25

Quite excited by Belfodil, it sounds like another Walsh moneyball signing, long may it continue.

Why???

What in any way excites you about this guy who has been dumped by several clubs and can't get in the Algeria national team?

I'm confused.

January 12, 2017, 02:48:16 AM
Reply #2091

Macca77

Schneiderlin confirmed yet?

January 12, 2017, 03:09:52 AM
Reply #2093

Cozzie

Love hearing stuff like that, up to 4 signings for the under 23's.

He actually looks good this guy.

20 goals in 31 for the under 23's

January 12, 2017, 03:11:02 AM
Reply #2094

MartinezsLeftTeste

Why???

What in any way excites you about this guy who has been dumped by several clubs and can't get in the Algeria national team?

I'm confused.

The fact that our highly rated director of football wants him. We can only judge Walsh if we sign his targets. I know nowt about the player but it's always a little exciting getting someone new in

January 12, 2017, 03:13:12 AM
Reply #2095

MmmBlueToffee

He actually looks good this guy.

20 goals in 31 for the under 23's

Owls fans been raving on about him, whilst trying to keep a lid on it. This lads gonna be special.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

January 12, 2017, 03:24:19 AM
Reply #2096

bluenuck

That video on Money ball isn't very good, btw... Baseball took OBP very seriously. It actually takes it to seriously. wOBA is a way better stat.

The problem with the money ball approach in football compared to north american sports is there's no relegation. When you look at the A's history in the last 18 years it's an absolute roller coaster ride. They will win their division and be very competitive for 3-5 seasons then drop down to one of the worst teams in baseball for 3-5 seasons. The A's were the worst team in the league 2 seasons ago, and the 3rd worst last season... Everton, and any PL club, don't have this luxury. So eventually you have to buy solid PL players like Schneiderlin, or Ashley Williams for a bit more money then you should.

Saying all that though, there's no problem in looking at analytical stats that no one else is really looking at to target a player and go and buy him. We just can't do that for every single position on our squad like the Oakland A's do.

January 12, 2017, 03:41:01 AM
Reply #2097

Bluedylan

I still think it's too soon for Walshy.  Scout track players for years don't they?  Surely the remit here is to give the team strength and reliability (Gueye and Schneiderlin), a back up and/or foil for Lukaku, something for the future (Lookman) plus whatever else quality is available.  Those magic signings that we expect will surely happen in afew years time.

He got Gana almost immediately, Lookman's another one of his (doubt Koeman knew him at all), and the papers are saying this is another Walsh signing, as Walsh gets on well with his agent. I think you underestimate the influence he's having. He's already said that he's involved in every signing, although he doesn't have the final say.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

January 12, 2017, 03:50:08 AM
Reply #2098

velimski

David Hirst's son.

Christ i'm getting old.

January 12, 2017, 03:51:05 AM
Reply #2099

Rhys

He kind of seems like thhe Rondon signing at West Brom. We have signed him for a very specific purpose. That is to win headers and hold the ball up. We have Lukaku for the goals.

Except Rondon had got a 1 in 3 record in Spain over 4 seasons and 1 in 2 over 4 seasons in Russia....

Not knocking the signing as i've literally no idea about what he is like, however while Rondon is clearly a terrific target man he has been a good all round forward who gets goals wherever he has been for a long time from when he went to Malaga at a young age to now at west brom. He has got into double figures every season for the last 7 seasons and is on 7 goals already whereas looking at belfodil's wiki page the only time he has got into double figures was in the UAE.

But yes the principal of if he can hold the ball, be a good target man for the team and be an option that we dont have in that regard right now to a good standard because of how good a goalscorer Rom is we dont need him to be a 15 goal striker.